NEW MANAGER: {enter next candidate here}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why’s that, what has he achieved???

He’s a good coach but.........

He won the cup with Middlesboro in about 2004 and I think they also lost in the UEFA cup final the following year. He won the league with FC Twente.

Would be a massive coup if we got him. Well respected for sure.

McClaren would be a huge coup and I despair for anyone who thinks otherwise.
We don't want Evans...we don't want McClaren, we don't want McDermott, we don't want Bellamy.....who the heck is out there that want???
He put up an umbrella when it was pissing down with rain - what a bloody outrage! Clearly a crap manager.
I imagine you were still singing his praises when he got fired out of the England job. Just after the rain stopped, by the way.
Stuart McCall would be a good fit in my personal opinion
Stuart McCall would be a good fit in my personal opinion.
McCall is used to living in Bradford. How would he adapt to living in the affluent South. Such a culture shock.
You are living in a total dreamworld. Wise up.

We don't want Evans...we don't want McClaren, we don't want McDermott, we don't want Bellamy.....who the heck is out there that want???
He put up an umbrella when it was pissing down with rain - what a bloody outrage! Clearly a crap manager.
I imagine you were still singing his praises when he got fired out of the England job. Just after the rain stopped, by the way.
Stuart McCall would be a good fit in my personal opinion
Stuart McCall would be a good fit in my personal opinion.
McCall is used to living in Bradford. How would he adapt to living in the affluent South. Such a culture shock.
You are living in a total dreamworld. Wise up.

The England job. He was England manager. England chose him to be their manager. But because he wasn’t very good at the pinnacle job in English football 10 yrs ago he isn’t good enough for us now.

What’s the umbrella got to do with anything? Some people...

I think it's obvious why McClaren could be a good move - loads and loads of contacts in the game domestically and even abroad too, experienced, still well-regarded as a coach in the game (if not by fans), and his style of play fits with this club's - passing football.

The question mark for me is whether he has enough of an edge to him. This is a mentally weak side right now - you can see that from how often our defence has collapsed at times this year - I think you need someone with a bit of an intimidating presence in charge to stop this slide. Appleton and Wilder had that trait and worked out here, while Pep didn't seem to command respect in that way and it didn't work out. Maybe that's what this club needs all the time anyway, I don't know.

That said, he might well have a chip on his shoulder - every time he does or says anything he seems to get battered on social media and in the press, despite being more successful in his career than lots of managers in the game. If he were to be appointed he'd probably have the best CV in league one, yet he'd still be ridiculed as ever by some. Maybe having something to prove could work in our favour.

I can see the logic in hiring him anyway, but should we survive this season (I still think we should just about), anyone coming in here will still have to make a lot of changes in the summer to be successful. The squad just wasn't built right under Pep this year.

I’ve not made Tiger money, but I have done ok, thank you for asking . But I have worked directly , in a number of very senior roles, for a number of multi millionaires (and one billionaire), so I do have a pretty good idea of whether a business leader has got ‘it’. And trust me, Tiger hasn’t. But that’s not my point. I don’t care if he has a charisma bypass if he is sensible, and has a vision. But he clearly doesn’t . His interview in the Oxford Mail was woeful, as was his press conference, by all accounts. Serious business people do not go into key meetings (and in the context of an OUFC takeover they were both key meetings) so chronically ill prepared and incoherent. And , as someone has pointed out, if you don’t speak the language well, it ain’t a crime. Get an interpreter. I don’t know Charlie, but he will know, as I do, that you go into a meeting like that with 3-5 key messages, and you repeat them again and again and again. And if you are asked a question off topic, you employ a technique known as ‘bridging’ and you go back to your key messages. It’s really basic stuff. I could have prepped Tiger in about five minutes, and so could Charlie (I don’t work in PR btw, but I have had dozens of media interviews). And furthermore, I’m not going to go into the various rumours and stories, but all I will say is that if a major UK businessman has a reputation for (say) being rude or arrogant, then 99% of the time it’s because s/he is. People talk, and that is partly how reputations , both good and bad, are formed. I have a bucketload of concerns about this bloke. Based on my own observation, and intuition, I would say he appears to be wildly unsuitable to own our club. Massive alarm bells ring when you hear stories that he wants to give team talks. That is the act of a playboy dabbling in football. That is not the behaviour of a serious and credible businessman. I have supported this club for over 45 years, and this is honestly the most concerned about its future I have ever been. It’s called gut feel and intuition.

Just read this and I agree 100% things don’t look very good. 52 years supporting this club, and I never been so downbeat as I am at the moment
I’ll give Mr Eales till the end of the season and I think he’ll take the money and run

Just read this and I agree 100% things don’t look very good. 52 years supporting this club, and I never been so downbeat as I am at the moment
I’ll give Mr Eales till the end of the season and I think he’ll take the money and run

You're more downbeat than when we got relegated to the Conference or the following Conference seasons when Darren Patterson was manager?

Think it could be a tempting challenge for Mcclaren. Coming back to where his coaching career began and he lived for 5/6 years. He'll command respect and his playstyle works well with what we've got. He needs somewhere to go in order to reignite his coaching career because evidently he's not having jobs thrown at him. If we were to get him i would say that there would be a 95% chance we'll avoid relegation.

A little over the top!

Steve McLaren applied in the summer, when Pep got the job, so there is/was interest. But the club wanted to go in a different direction. I think he might be the sort of person that Tiger would go for.

I had dealings with him many years ago, and he was a terrific bloke, and you could see that he had a bright future in the game ahead of him. Despite what the media would have people believe, he is a talented coach/manager with experience and contacts, and still has the enthusiasm to succeed.

Would be a great appointment for us.

Yes he will be gone by the end of the year when we find ourselves in the bottom two in league two and we are still managerless
Don't think you've ever posted something that isn't negative or where you're not moaning...

Nah, a former England manager with a final in a club European competition under his belt, won a title in Holland, managed in the top flight in England and Germany, and had a successful spell as the assistant manager to an all time great at one of the biggest clubs in the world? Not for me, bring back Patto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom