NEW MANAGER: {enter next candidate here}

Status
Not open for further replies.
However you want to interpret it, could it all have been avoided with some simple thought process and forward planning?

Possibly. Depends who the target is. If it someone in a job, u can hardly approach them and say hey fancy being oxford manager, I can’t pay u much, but maybe if tiger takes over he will pay u a lot more

Possibly. Depends who the target is. If it someone in a job, u can hardly approach them and say hey fancy being oxford manager, I can’t pay u much, but maybe if tiger takes over he will pay u a lot more

Except that a deal had been agreed for a new manager...Tiger wanted them both to take more time to think it through which brings us back to thought process and forward planning...he had been around the place several weeks and certainly after pep left the building and as i said elsewhere he didn't just wake up one morning and call Daryl to sign the paperwork....

Except that a deal had been agreed for a new manager...Tiger wanted them both to take more time to think it through which brings us back to thought process and forward planning...he had been around the place several weeks and certainly after pep left the building and as i said elsewhere he didn't just wake up one morning and call Daryl to sign the paperwork....

No, but Bellamy was a Darryl choice, in a process carried out by his directors. If the deal hadn’t gone through he would still have had to appoint a manager. And with the best planning in the world, if u we’re in a job would u quit it In The hope that ur new boss actually does buy the company he’s putting u in charge of

Are you suggesting he did then have a manager in mind who may be gainfully employed because with the greatest of respect that makes things worse..he would have known he was going to buy the club and would have started the various conversations with his target and their employer or should have done otherwise that would potentially take more weeks and why then would he tell Bellamy to go and think things over?

Are you suggesting he did then have a manager in mind who may be gainfully employed because with the greatest of respect that makes things worse..he would have known he was going to buy the club and would have started the various conversations with his target and their employer or should have done otherwise that would potentially take more weeks and why then would he tell Bellamy to go and think things over?

Where does it say he told Bellamy to go think it over ? Come on.

It’s not that far fetched that Bellamy thought he basically had the job, tiger takes over and says ur still on my shortlist of 4 but I also wanna speak to a couple of others now I’ve brought the club.

How can u start a conversation with the target employer before u own the club?

Hello is that Ajax ?
Hi it’s tigger , I want to speak to ur manager about offering a job.
Which club , well I don’t actually have one yet but oxford united.
When, ohh I don’t know couple of weeks time, do u think he will be interested ?

I bother because I am a fan of the team that goes out every Saturday and I want them to do well

Obviously I feel positive about the team,but that doesn't mean I have to be positive about the owner.

Fair enough just wondered, given that’s my whole adult life I was intrigued, thanks for replying.

Where does it say he told Bellamy to go think it over ? Come on.

It’s not that far fetched that Bellamy thought he basically had the job, tiger takes over and says ur still on my shortlist of 4 but I also wanna speak to a couple of others now I’ve brought the club.

How can u start a conversation with the target employer before u own the club?

Hello is that Ajax ?
Hi it’s tigger , I want to speak to ur manager about offering a job.
Which club , well I don’t actually have one yet but oxford united.
When, ohh I don’t know couple of weeks time, do u think he will be interested ?

Yeah take your point but there could be a private conversation along the lines of i am expecting etc etc would you be interested if all goes ahead and i sort things with your club..

Bellamy said he stated they "both" should take more time to think it over

I can have the conversation sure. But u can’t move on it until u actually own the club. And at that point he said he had 2/3 other options. So he has to maybe go to 3 clubs ask permission talk to all of them and then interview 3 managers . And he still gets there in just over a week, what took Darryl 4.

The takeover in the offing is the most likely answer

I’m going to put this out there, obviously the goalposts and thought processes have now changed, the outstanding candidate if Tiger wants experience in my opinion and he has been overlooked is Paul Tilsdale, good with the youth and experience on his side, go get him Tiger.......

I think the idea of McClaren may have legs. I’m sure he still has links here, and would like the chance to get us higher.
If he came he would I imagine get next season as well as the chances of promotion this season are gone.
McDermott looks safe pair of hands and a cheap solution.
McClaren wouldn’t be cheap and would show some ambition. If he comes here I’ll chip in with my special edition BMW umbrella which I got free with my new car in. 2008

I don’t really understand why the delay and subsequent delay in appointing a manager is still up for debate.
It’s obvious now that the delay from DE side was because of the impending takeover. On one hand he knew he should appoint a manager ASAP but then on the other he expected not to be the chairman. With both business men ‘out and about ‘ i’m Guessing that would’ve been even more difficult.
Then Tiger takes over and the names in the frame for the job are suddenly more experienced and much higher profile. Actually so high I’d expect Tiger will struggle to convince them to join. So again I think it’s obvious Tiger has more money to blow on a manager and therefore the process basically starts again.

DE would’ve been in a nightmare position with fans demanding communication and a new manager but not knowing if he would own the club. CB would’ve known the situation because Cardiff City did, hence the ‘talking with the current owners’ part of their statement.

We need to give Tiger a chance and judge him on the new manager, the summer signings, who he brings onto the board and how the club develops in the next year or so.
To judge him on one press conference which was poor is harsh in the extreme. Especially since interviews online seem to be a bit better.

Found this obviously false tweet early this morning ...

[B]Brian McDermott[/B]‏ @[B]mcdermott_1961[/B] 8h8 hours ago

Honoured to be able to confirm that I have today joined @OUFCOfficial as first team manager. My goal here is to help this wonderful club continue progressing, and I believe that we can achieve a lot together. #OUFC #COYY

As this a/c only has 1 tweet and 1 follows I'm pretty sure this is a wind-up.
You’d really think people would have better things to do with their time..

( meaning other than create false twitter accounts and tweets, not manage OUFC obviously..)

we'll likely never know why he turned us down, his answer is a political anodyne one
Did he 'turn us down'?

I would have thought that DE was about to offer him the job. Tiger came in and prefers to look at somebody with more experience (as quite a few on here were suggesting was important).
Having been in the 'last one', suddenly he was part of a final 3/4 and he dropped out.

I don’t really understand why the delay and subsequent delay in appointing a manager is still up for debate.
It’s obvious now that the delay from DE side was because of the impending takeover. On one hand he knew he should appoint a manager ASAP but then on the other he expected not to be the chairman. With both business men ‘out and about ‘ i’m Guessing that would’ve been even more difficult.
Then Tiger takes over and the names in the frame for the job are suddenly more experienced and much higher profile. Actually so high I’d expect Tiger will struggle to convince them to join. So again I think it’s obvious Tiger has more money to blow on a manager and therefore the process basically starts again.

DE would’ve been in a nightmare position with fans demanding communication and a new manager but not knowing if he would own the club. CB would’ve known the situation because Cardiff City did, hence the ‘talking with the current owners’ part of their statement.

We need to give Tiger a chance and judge him on the new manager, the summer signings, who he brings onto the board and how the club develops in the next year or so.
To judge him on one press conference which was poor is harsh in the extreme. Especially since interviews online seem to be a bit better.

Yup. I think that that is fair. As I said straight after the presser, plenty of total idiots could sound convincing at an opening conference, only to prove to be full of s**t (Nick Merry, anyone?).
However, there are some questions - totally normal questions - that do sort of need to be answered. What are the shareholdings? Who is going to run the club? Where is the first funding coming from? What is the ambition? What is the plan to realise that ambition?
Eales, Ashton and Appleton answered all those questions pdq after taking over so that the whole club had a sense of direction. Players need that; staff need that; fans need that.
For me, the disaster at that presser was not the struggle in a second language. It was that he had nothing substantial to say. This is a guy, remember, who has been hanging around the club since September!
So, yes, do not throw him under a bus for a disorientated presser. But the local media really should be on their mettle to find out what is actually going on.

Yup. I think that that is fair. As I said straight after the presser, plenty of total idiots could sound convincing at an opening conference, only to prove to be full of s**t (Nick Merry, anyone?).
However, there are some questions - totally normal questions - that do sort of need to be answered. What are the shareholdings? Who is going to run the club? Where is the first funding coming from? What is the ambition? What is the plan to realise that ambition?
Eales, Ashton and Appleton answered all those questions pdq after taking over so that the whole club had a sense of direction. Players need that; staff need that; fans need that.
For me, the disaster at that presser was not the struggle in a second language. It was that he had nothing substantial to say. This is a guy, remember, who has been hanging around the club since September!
So, yes, do not throw him under a bus for a disorientated presser. But the local media really should be on their mettle to find out what is actually going on.
I can’t disagree with any of that apart from, possibly, Merry being convincing in his press conference. I remember at the time thinking he sounded nervous and not very proficient, but at the time I was swept up, possibly along with everybody else, with the Jim Smith factor

I’m going to put this out there, obviously the goalposts and thought processes have now changed, the outstanding candidate if Tiger wants experience in my opinion and he has been overlooked is Paul Tilsdale, good with the youth and experience on his side, go get him Tiger.......
Totally agree with this. Achieves wonders on a 800k budget at Exeter. The Lenagans always regretted not appointing him. If he and Perryman came together that would be my idea of a dream team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom