Matches Last 10 Games

So you think the final season of KR's tenure was just an 'off season'?

I would further say that Wigan's circumstances were very 'uncommon', but would welcome examples to the contrary.
We've finished in the top 10 62.5% of the time in L1. If we finish 8th or above this season, that'll mean we've actually finished 8th or above 62.5% of our seasons in L1. Based on that, I'd definitely describe last season as an off-season.

In our 8 seasons in L1 we've only finished below 10th 3 times (assuming we don't this season). Within the remaining 5 seasons we've had 2 play-off campaigns and come close to play-offs 3 times (again, assuming we just miss out this season). 'Off seasons' aren't uncommon in L1 historically. Wigan finished 20th then won the league the next season, for example.

Don't get the idea that the season after an off-season should just be a write off to 'consolidate'.

This is absolutely spot on.

Stop using last season as a crutch.

So you think the final season of KR's tenure was just an 'off season'?

I would further say that Wigan's circumstances were very 'uncommon', but would welcome examples to the contrary.

In each of the last five seasons, at least one of the three L1 promoted clubs has done having finished mid-table (or lower) the previous season:

23/24: Ipswich (11th)
22/23: Wigan (20th)
21/22: Blackpool (13th)
20/21: Wycombe (17th)
19/20: Luton (2nd - L2)

And this season, two clubs who've just been promoted are vying for a play-off spot. No consolidation for Stevenage!

But for OUFC it feels like only the perfect promotion will do. All dead wood must be cleared. Modest incremental improvements only. And if we have an outlier like last season it's 'go back to square one' and the 5 year build seemingly starts again.

Football is marginal gains, and momentum. Liam Manning produced both of those things - and I really believe we'd still be in contention for automatic promotion had he stayed.

I refuse to pretend that it didn't happen, or that we are incapable of reaching those levels again, with this squad - and without the vagueness of yet more time.

In each of the last five seasons, at least one of the three L1 promoted clubs has done having finished mid-table (or lower) the previous season:

And this season, two clubs who've just been promoted are vying for a play-off spot. No consolidation for Stevenage!

But for OUFC it feels like only the perfect promotion will do. All dead wood must be cleared. Modest incremental improvements only. And if we have an outlier like last season it's 'go back to square one' and the 5 year build seemingly starts again.

Football is marginal gains, and momentum. Liam Manning produced both of those things - and I really believe we'd still be in contention for automatic promotion had he stayed.

I refuse to pretend that it didn't happen, or that we are incapable of reaching those levels again, with this squad - and without the vagueness of yet more time.
Couldn't agree more with this (y) (y)

There's always an excuse as to why we can't/shouldn't get promoted.

So Wigan or Wycombe are comparable. 2 out of 15 promoted sides.

No one is saying it's impossible, but all of the evidence suggests it's unlikely.

I'm not sure many, if any, are saying we wouldn't be doing better if Manning had stayed. I'm not, and never have.

We've finished in the top 10 62.5% of the time in L1. If we finish 8th or above this season, that'll mean we've actually finished 8th or above 62.5% of our seasons in L1. Based on that, I'd definitely describe last season as an off-season.

So we should have stuck with KR?

So we should have stuck with KR?
There were way more issues there than just the performances. Unpopular opinion but we had way more good times under KR than we did bad. Sacking him was probably the right decision though simply based on everything going on off field.

Whether we should/shouldn't have sacked him is irrelevant to the point that last season doesn't mean this season should be a write off, though.

There were way more issues there than just the performances. Unpopular opinion but we had way more good times under KR than we did bad. Sacking him was probably the right decision though simply based on everything going on off field.

Whether we should/shouldn't have sacked him is irrelevant to the point that last season doesn't mean this season should be a write off, though.

I disagree.

I think that last season saw the culmination of KRs weaknesses as a coach and left us with the most hideously unbalanced squad that I can personally recall. I don't think we finished in a false position.

Nobody's writing this season off. Plenty of people seem to be able to accept that all of the evidence suggests that turning last season's rabble, into one of the top 2 sides this time round, is unlikely.

Anywhere in the top 6, less so, and this should remain a viable target. Before a ball was kicked I thought we'd fall short of this.

It would be a remarkable drop off. To win 11 of the opening 16, be joint highest scorers and 3rd least conceded to missing out on play-offs winning barely a handful of your last 20 games.

Not sure I can think of that happening to quite an extent before??
Only one that springs to mind - for anyone - is this https://rageonline.co.uk/mainpage/season/44/ 2003 - 2004

We didn't lose in league for second time until 17 January. To finish 9th, 4 points off play offs and not able to get to play offs before the last day of the season. It would be remarkable and huge let down this season, but nothing is new with OUFC! ;)

We are a top 6 side, man-for-man.

If you look at the squad, the table, and the vastly improved performance on Saturday, and take everything else out of the equation, a little bit of excitement might creep in.

We must beat Cheltenham. And I think we will. From there, I for one have hope.

Only one that springs to mind - for anyone - is this https://rageonline.co.uk/mainpage/season/44/ 2003 - 2004

We didn't lose in league for second time until 17 January. To finish 9th, 4 points off play offs and not able to get to play offs before the last day of the season. It would be remarkable and huge let down this season, but nothing is new with OUFC! ;)
1994/5 Season as well. We were storming the league until Christmas, then fell over in a heap and missed out on the play-offs.

• React
Reactions: m
I disagree.

I think that last season saw the culmination of KRs weaknesses as a coach and left us with the most hideously unbalanced squad that I can personally recall. I don't think we finished in a false position.

Nobody's writing this season off. Plenty of people seem to be able to accept that all of the evidence suggests that turning last season's rabble, into one of the top 2 sides this time round, is unlikely.

Anywhere in the top 6, less so, and this should remain a viable target. Before a ball was kicked I thought we'd fall short of this.
We had a manager come in and largely balance that squad out. A squad which he went on to win 10 out of 15 games with.

Top 2 could've been doable this season, play-offs should be the minimum. If Manning had stayed I think we maybe wouldn't have made top 2, but we'd be there or there abouts.

My main point was in reply to the idea that this season was about 'consolidation' due to last season. New manager, plenty of new faces through the door - last season is irrelevant to our ambitions this season.

We had a manager come in and largely balance that squad out. A squad which he went on to win 10 out of 15 games with.

Top 2 could've been doable this season, play-offs should be the minimum. If Manning had stayed I think we maybe wouldn't have made top 2, but we'd be there or there abouts.

My main point was in reply to the idea that this season was about 'consolidation' due to last season. New manager, plenty of new faces through the door - last season is irrelevant to our ambitions this season.

We still have ridiculous sums of money going to players who aren't playing, or aren't even at the club. We still lack depth of quality in midfield and in defence. If you choose to ignore this, fine.

It's further fine for you to pluck a completely arbitrary expectation out of the air, and parrot it as realistic.

It's also fine for for people to think that you talk shite.

We still have ridiculous sums of money going to players who aren't playing, or aren't even at the club. We still lack depth of quality in midfield and in defence. If you choose to ignore this, fine.

It's further fine for you to pluck a completely arbitrary expectation out of the air, and parrot it as realistic.

Do we lack depth in midfield ? Matete - who has been a main player in two successive L1 promotions - McEachran, a more than decent pedigree, and Smyth, can't get a game. How many more midfielders do you want ? Defence is Stevens or Long, Leigh or Bennett, Thorniley and Negru to deputise at centre back. I would say that lot is more than decent cover.

Do we lack depth in midfield ? Matete - who has been a main player in two successive L1 promotions - McEachran, a more than decent pedigree, and Smyth, can't get a game. How many more midfielders do you want ? Defence is Stevens or Long, Leigh or Bennett, Thorniley and Negru to deputise at centre back. I would say that lot is more than decent cover.
Perhaps it is quality or at least 'match fit' quality that we are missing in midfield rather than numbers? Matete looks a long way away from recapturing previous form and looks half fit, McEachran somehow manages to slow down an already ponderous style of play - perhaps his best days are past him. I think we all felt we needed a ball winning CDM in the transfer window, I still don't think we have one who can play the part.

I think 'm' has a chronic fear of the Championship.

Brannagan, McGuane, Matete, Rodrigues, McEacrhran, Smyth, Henry and Bodin can play there if required too. Not many other clubs in the league with those options in midfield.

Leigh, Long, Moore, Stevens, Bennett, Negru, Thorniley, Brown.

How many players do you want?

We could have Man City's squad and you'd still think it's not enough to have promotion ambitions 🥱🥱

Brannagan, McGuane, Matete, Rodrigues, McEacrhran, Smyth, Henry and Bodin can play there if required too. Not many other clubs in the league with those options in midfield.

Leigh, Long, Moore, Stevens, Bennett, Negru, Thorniley, Brown.

How many players do you want?

We could have Man City's squad and you'd still think it's not enough to have promotion ambitions 🥱🥱

It's quality in depth that we lack, as well as the ability of players to form effective units, and to do that consistently.

It's nothing to do with how many players we have.

I suggest that your last line was an attempt to troll me. (If not, you might wish to learn to differentiate between hopes, ambitions, and expectations.)

• React
Reactions: Nox

I don't think Matete has played a full 90 minutes yet? As such, I don't think he can fairly be blamed for our loss of form. If he's the player many think, then our midfield will improve.

Smyth is an enigma. If he could get a game, under any manager, we'd know.

I don't rate McEachran at all and said as much before he signed.

It's quality in depth that we lack, as well as the ability of players to form effective units, and to do that consistently.

It's nothing to do with how many players we have.

I suggest that your last line was an attempt to troll me. (If not, you might wish to learn to differentiate between hopes, ambitions, and expectations.)

What's the job of the manager and coaching staff if these players cannot perform 'effective units' as you put it ? The players and depth is there, it's complete nonsense to suggest they aren't or that the squad is depleted. I agree with MustardYellow, people like you will have an excuse forever. Des Buckingham needs to improve these players and the system - that is his job.

Back
Top Bottom