Matches Last six matches

I fully expect 10 points from these last 5 games 3W 1D 1L I don't care how it happens
We’ve not been able to get one win in 15 games, so how you expect us to get 3 of of 5 is beyond me, but I do hope you’re right!

We’ve won just 9 (!!) matches from 40-odd all season. I don’t have a massive amount of expectation that we’ll suddenly add a third more wins onto our tally before the season is out! Our ability to win games this season is unfathomably bad and worthy of prime relegation candidates

We do need to somehow claw at least two wins from these last 5 - and worryingly I’m not convinced that will be enough so we’ll possibly need at least smoother point or two on top of that (particularly if Accrington were to beat us).

I’ll predict:
Portsmouth - draw
Barnsley - loss
Cheltenham - win (everyone breathes a sigh of relief)
FGR - loss (and everyone panics)
Accrington - win (in a super tense, must-win game)

The positive (I suppose) is that we’re not often totally thrashed. It means our GD is (relatively) decent and we give ourselves a chance to get points simply by virtue of not being more than a goal or two behind at any point.

Super tense about tonight. Would love a win to make us all relax just a little and prevent there being astonishingly high amounts of pressure on the Cheltenham/FGR/Accy games

Last edited:
We’ve not been able to get one win in 15 games, so how you expect us to get 3 of of 5 is beyond me, but I do hope you’re right!
If we can't win against Cheltenham and Accrington at home and get a win against the worst team in the league a team already relegated then we deserve to get relegated

We’ve won just 9 (!!) matches from 40-odd all season. I don’t have a massive amount of expectation that we’ll suddenly add a third more wins onto our tally before the season is out! Our ability to win games this season is unfathomably bad and worthy of prime relegation candidates

We do need to somehow claw at least two wins from these last 5 - and worryingly I’m not convinced that will be enough so we’ll possibly need at least smoother point or two on top of that (particularly if Accrington were to beat us).

I’ll predict:
Portsmouth - draw
Barnsley - loss
Cheltenham - win (everyone breathes a sigh of relief)
FGR - loss (and everyone panics)
Accrington - win (in a super tense, must-win game)

The positive (I suppose) is that we’re not often totally thrashed. It means our GD is (relatively) decent and we give ourselves a chance to get points simply by virtue of not being more than a goal or two behind at any point.

Super tense about tonight. Would love a win to make us all relax just a little and prevent there being astonishingly high amounts of pressure on the Cheltenham/FGR/Accy games
That would be 47 points, I think we'll get something like that. Our goal difference may keep us up but it's going to be very tight.

If we can't win against Cheltenham and Accrington at home and get a win against the worst team in the league a team already relegated then we deserve to get relegated
Well, like I said, we’ve not managed it in the last 15!

Blimey I'd say we were in full panic mode already- do we seriously think 47 points is enough!😱

Again, 9 wins all season. None in the last 15. We have habitually, chronically conceded goals all season and have one of the weakest attacks I can ever remember an Oxford side having.

47 points might not be enough. Right now my big concern is I’m genuinely not at all convinced we’ll even make 47 points…

I see the problem as Cambridge. They are also playing Accrington and Forest Green on the last two weekends of the season. Wycombe and Plymouth before them, and Burton in the middle. So they could easily match or better those "nine points" we are looking at.
Plus they are in good form.

its unlikely but not impossible we pick up 3 wins out of the next 5, teams (especially those at the bottom) tend to get their wins in batches, we would be a pretty extreme example of that though as not many go on 15 game runs without one. Have a feeling tonight is a big one, don't think we will get three on the trot so, as anything at Barnsley is pretty unlikely, we could really do with a win of any sort tonight.

its unlikely but not impossible we pick up 3 wins out of the next 5, teams (especially those at the bottom) tend to get their wins in batches, we would be a pretty extreme example of that though as not many go on 15 game runs without one. Have a feeling tonight is a big one, don't think we will get three on the trot so, as anything at Barnsley is pretty unlikely, we could really do with a win of any sort tonight.
I wonder if Cambridge Utd’s supporters saw 10 points from 12 happening a few weeks ago?

I wonder if Cambridge Utd’s supporters saw 10 points from 12 happening a few weeks ago?

It can happen, but with Barnsley away on Saturday I reckon we really want to get a win tonight so we are going into the last 3 with a win in living memory (think it was Queen Victoria on the throne last time we won?) not on a run of 17 games without a win.

It can happen, but with Barnsley away on Saturday I reckon we really want to get a win tonight so we are going into the last 3 with a win in living memory (think it was Queen Victoria on the throne last time we won?) not on a run of 17 games without a win.

It is the hope that kills you.

I see the problem as Cambridge. They are also playing Accrington and Forest Green on the last two weekends of the season. Wycombe and Plymouth before them, and Burton in the middle. So they could easily match or better those "nine points" we are looking at.
Plus they are in good form.
I think Cambridge will get more points than us - we need to drag someone else into it (MK or PV). I think tonight is a must win, which is a big ask having not won in so long, but fear if we don’t win we just won’t turn it around.

I think Cambridge will get more points than us - we need to drag someone else into it (MK or PV). I think tonight is a must win, which is a big ask having not won in so long, but fear if we don’t win we just won’t turn it around.

If we don't win tonight, then we might end up in a position where we have to win our last three to stay up (crazy results happen all the time, but this team going up and winning at a Barnsley side that's in form, and still fighting for the automatics would seem particularly unlikely).

Yes, they are as easy a last three fixtures as you could possibly wish for.....but to go 17 games without a win, and then rattle off WWW to close the season would be the turnaround to beat all turnarounds.

Although 47/48 points could still be enough. Yes, Cambridge are in great form all of a sudden - but they're also a pretty poor team. They could easily lose to Wycombe and Plymouth this week, and then the whole equation will change again.

If we don't win tonight, then we might end up in a position where we have to win our last three to stay up (crazy results happen all the time, but this team going up and winning at a Barnsley side that's in form, and still fighting for the automatics would seem particularly unlikely).

Yes, they are as easy a last three fixtures as you could possibly wish for.....but to go 17 games without a win, and then rattle off WWW to close the season would be the turnaround to beat all turnarounds.

Although 47/48 points could still be enough. Yes, Cambridge are in great form all of a sudden - but they're also a pretty poor team. They could easily lose to Wycombe and Plymouth this week, and then the whole equation will change again.
Well at least we don't have any history with Accrington like us replacing them when they were expelled from the league, and them replacing us in the league when we went down to the Conference.

We've gone 1/3 of the season without winning a game which is absolutely shocking by ours and any other club's standards really. Being 2pts of 23rd is crazy and with Cambridge looking steady right now and MK Dons on a 7 game unbeaten run, I fear we will drop in sooner rather than later. It's even getting to the stage where even a miracle win may only provide temporary rest-bite until the next game rather than give us some breathing space.

Our goal difference may be key but the way it's going, it'll probably mean nothing as points will be the absolute decider. We could even be well adrift of safety before the Forest Green game if results across the board don't go in our favour, and our failure to win the winnable games in March has really cost us dear. As soon as it goes out of our hands, that's when it will truly get ugly.

We've gone 1/3 of the season without winning a game which is absolutely shocking by ours and any other club's standards really. Being 2pts of 23rd is crazy and with Cambridge looking steady right now and MK Dons on a 7 game unbeaten run, I fear we will drop in sooner rather than later. It's even getting to the stage where even a miracle win may only provide temporary rest-bite until the next game rather than give us some breathing space.

Our goal difference may be key but the way it's going, it'll probably mean nothing as points will be the absolute decider. We could even be well adrift of safety before the Forest Green game if results across the board don't go in our favour, and our failure to win the winnable games in March has really cost us dear. As soon as it goes out of our hands, that's when it will truly get ugly.

Man said rest-bite

Better performance against Pompey, but looks to be going to the wire versus Accy. OK, Barnsley are in the play off zone rather than seeking automatic promotion, but they're still a quality side (Barnsley 2 OUFC 0). Can see a further draw v Cheltenham, and another at FGR who have nothing to lose now. Can we conjure up some striking skills v Accy? I can see another desperate draw = 44 points total.

So can Cambridge make 45 points? They've still to play Accy and FGR themselves. So who knows?

Back
Top Bottom