Matches Last six matches

The biggest issue for me is that we’ve been complacently sinking into trouble while the teams below, who are already done for as it currently stands, have started going for it. We’ve been naively thinking that drawing every week is fine and dandy while people say how unlikely it is that the teams below us will magically start winning, but here we are, outside of the relegation places solely on GD and potentially just one weekend away from being second bottom of the entire division, let alone fourth. Because actively winning football matches, rather than simply not losing them, is everything.

We have basically been adopting the role of a boxer who is in the last couple of rounds of a fight that their corner is telling them they’re going to win on points, so has decided to let their opponent throw haymakers and uppercuts galore while trying to cover up in the corner. We have been absolutely begging to be knocked down, and if that happens over the next week then we’re going to have to start swinging wildly while we’re dazed and quite probably cut. It makes every scenario the hardest possible version of itself.

Great, we got a point against Peterborough. Cambridge just beat them. Oh, cool, a draw against Port Vale. Accrington just beat them. Gosh, wasn’t the Sheffield Wednesday point excellent? Burton just beat them. Ah, well, losing to Bolton isn’t a big deal on paper. Cambridge and Morecambe both just took points off them. We are taking more and more hits and I’m still not sure that far too many people realise what’s happening.

The good news is that it sounds like Liam Manning realises that holding on for dear life and praying for the bell isn’t going to work, and is urging us to throw some shots. Yesterday it finally looked as though we were willing to at least try. We missed, but if we don’t throw then we can’t land, and if we don’t land then we’re going to lose. We have to fight back.

We need to keep swinging, and I really hope that more people get on their feet and start making a racket if it happens, because it’s going to be a hell of a lot more helpful than sitting down and marvelling at how many times someone can get hit in the head.

The biggest issue for me is that we’ve been complacently sinking into trouble while the teams below, who are already done for as it currently stands, have started going for it. We’ve been naively thinking that drawing every week is fine and dandy while people say how unlikely it is that the teams below us will magically start winning, but here we are, outside of the relegation places solely on GD and potentially just one weekend away from being second bottom of the entire division, let alone fourth. Because actively winning football matches, rather than simply not losing them, is everything.

We have basically been adopting the role of a boxer who is in the last couple of rounds of a fight that their corner is telling them they’re going to win on points, so has decided to let their opponent throw haymakers and uppercuts galore while trying to cover up in the corner. We have been absolutely begging to be knocked down, and if that happens over the next week then we’re going to have to start swinging wildly while we’re dazed and quite probably cut. It makes every scenario the hardest possible version of itself.

Great, we got a point against Peterborough. Cambridge just beat them. Oh, cool, a draw against Port Vale. Accrington just beat them. Gosh, wasn’t the Sheffield Wednesday point excellent? Burton just beat them. Ah, well, losing to Bolton isn’t a big deal on paper. Cambridge and Morecambe both just took points off them. We are taking more and more hits and I’m still not sure that far too many people realise what’s happening.

The good news is that it sounds like Liam Manning realises that holding on for dear life and praying for the bell isn’t going to work, and is urging us to throw some shots. Yesterday it finally looked as though we were willing to at least try. We missed, but if we don’t throw then we can’t land, and if we don’t land then we’re going to lose. We have to fight back.

We need to keep swinging, and I really hope that more people get on their feet and start making a racket if it happens, because it’s going to be a hell of a lot more helpful than sitting down and marvelling at how many times someone can get hit in the head.
Nice analogy. But what do you do if the boxer in question seems to have dislocated his shoulder and so has a total inability to throw punches..?

Nice analogy. But what do you do if the boxer in question seems to have dislocated his shoulder and so has a total inability to throw punches..?
You have him spin around in a circle so that his limp and useless arm flails around wildly at pace, like some sort of rotator blade, while letting off big smelly farts and saying “loser hits me loser hits me loser hits me” over and over again.

Yes, this. This is what the people praising Manning’s run need to realise - draws are all well and good, but we really need at least one win. That shouldn’t be impossible.

Simply put, if you don't win a league game for 15 games then a team can only head one way.

Last game scenario:
We need to BEAT Accrington
We are relying on one of at least two teams losing if we are to stay up on goal difference
We draw
Some of our supporters look surprised
A lot of mumbling and grumbling as they drift off to the cars

Bookmark this

That's a pretty big criticism of Manning ( on the basis that what people on here think makes zero difference)
Manning did seem pleased with a point v Peterborough and Wednesday ( and not too unhappy v Morecambe)
I am not sure he was happy with the past 2 games though

Very salient points, in my opinion. Just as we are free-falling, failing to score and hoping for the odd draw, some of our rivals are knuckling down and doing the business.

The only hope is that 16 league matches ago we somehow beat Ipswich, so perhaps hope springs eternal?

Very salient points, in my opinion. Just as we are free-falling, failing to score and hoping for the odd draw, some of our rivals are knuckling down and doing the business.

The only hope is that 16 league matches ago we somehow beat Ipswich, so perhaps hope springs eternal?

I can't see a game being played in fog so thick that you can barely see 10 yards in front of you in April but maybe we could/should invest in a smoke machine?

Three full months ago is the issue for me. In a game we were happy to see abandoned and only failed to get called off because Ipswich didn’t want to settle for a draw. If they had been up for declaring we were happy to do the same. Imagine if they hadn’t thought they could beat us that day.

I would snap your hand off for a draw at Barnsley and can get behind wanting to simply not lose that one, but with three home games and a trip to the worst team in the division either side of it, I fully expect us to try to win four of our last five matches. And I expect people to expect the same.

Remarkably we are still 3/1 against going down with William Hill. I’m seriously thinking about lumping £100 on this - if I lose I’m happy, if I win, that’s next year’s season ticket paid for.

I hope I lose.
You'd have potentially got eight grand if you put the bet on when everyone apart from Pinky and Perky in the boardroom was seeing what was happening to our season.

Three full months ago is the issue for me. In a game we were happy to see abandoned and only failed to get called off because Ipswich didn’t want to settle for a draw. If they had been up for declaring we were happy to do the same. Imagine if they hadn’t thought they could beat us that day.

I would snap your hand off for a draw at Barnsley and can get behind wanting to simply not lose that one, but with three home games and a trip to the worst team in the division either side of it, I fully expect us to try to win four of our last five matches. And I expect people to expect the same.
I expect us to genuinely try and win all 5 of our remaining matches

You'd have potentially got eight grand if you put the bet on when everyone apart from Pinky and Perky in the boardroom was seeing what was happening to our season.
I've worked out the strategy - P&P stuck £500k on at 80/1 and then have done all they can to realise the bet. A cool £40m to go towards the new stadium! Genius and to think that some people on here have doubted P&Ps collective knowledge and business acumen - shame on you!

Pompey will obviously be hard to beat, with a 3-4-0 record in he last seven matches. A draw might just keep us out of the relegation zone?

I fully expect 10 points from these last 5 games 3W 1D 1L I don't care how it happens

No six pointers tonight, but we could do with other teams doing us a favour and beating the other teams around us, as well as us picking up a point or three.

Back
Top Bottom