Matches Last six matches

Pete Burrett

Given our current form and total inability to score, seems we need to stay above both Accrington and Cambridge to stay in L1.

OK, Accy got thumped by a not-very-impressive Wednesday today, but at least managed to score three against an equally not-very-impressive Vale on Friday. Cambridge got a creditable draw at Bolton today, following a win of their own on Friday. So let's assume nothing.

On 29th April Accy are at home to Cambridge, the same day we visit Forest Green. A three pointer for both clubs.

I suspect not even the most blinkered OUFC fan will expect more than one point in our next three games. (Oooh ....that was rather negative. Perhaps two points.) Then home to Cheltenham, away at probably already-relegated FGR and final match .... at home to Accy.

Going to remain an exciting ride.

Last edited:
Given our current form and total inability to score, seems we need to stay above both Accrington and Cambridge to stay in L1.

OK, Accy got thumped by a not-very-impressive Wednesday today, but at least managed to score three against an equally not-very-impressive Vale on Friday. Cambridge got a creditable draw at Bolton today, following a win of their own on Friday. So let's assume nothing.

On 29th April Accy are at home to Cambridge, the same day we visit Forest Green. A three pointer for both clubs.

I suspect not even the most blinkered OUFC fan will expect more than one point in our next three games. Then home to Cheltenham, away at probably already-relegated FGR and final match .... at home to Accy.

Going to remain an exciting ride.
Why not - we've just got three points from an away game at a very in-form play-off chasing Peterborough, a home game against the league leaders and an away game at an admittedly poor team.

Two of the next three are at home and Bolton's form is poor at present - just 6 points from their last 5 games.

I think the next three games are similar to the three we've just played - no reason why we can't get three points from them, perhaps more if we can actually show some attacking prowess (Nurse!)

At least as important is who's available

Is this right?- Anyone I'm missing?

No.Pos.NationPlayer
19FW
England
ENG
Tyler Smith (on loan from Hull City)
20MF
France
FRA
Ateef Konaté (on loan from Nottingham Forest)
21GKEdward McGinty
22FWKyle Joseph (on loan from Swansea City)
23FWJosh Murphy
24MFJoshua Johnson
25MFOisin Smyth
26DFJames Golding
27MFTyler Goodrham
28DFStephan Negru INJURED
29FWSlavi Spasov
30FWYanic Wildschut
33DFDjavan Anderson INJURED
39FWGatlin O'Donkor

I've just looked at Oddschecker and on average we are 5/1 against for relegation. I'm genuinely surprised by that as I was expecting 2 or 3/1 against but bookmakers are pretty objective in their views and so that's a source of (a little) encouragement

Let's be real, we all know it's gonna go down to the final day:ROFLMAO: We could end the season 9 games unbeaten and still go down which is a hilariously scary thought! I remember the struggle we had just to get over the line in 2016 with promotion and I am seeing similarities right now. We are fortunate that other sides haven't taken advantage of our inability to win games and we are still within reach of MK Dons so it's not just us and everyone else but that elusive win must happen either Saturday or Tuesday. Other teams wont fail to win forever...

We are fortunate that other sides haven't taken advantage of our inability to win games.........Other teams wont fail to win forever...
And other sides are fortunate of our inability to win, but know that we won't fail to win forever....

Let's be real, we all know it's gonna go down to the final day:ROFLMAO: We could end the season 9 games unbeaten and still go down which is a hilariously scary thought! I remember the struggle we had just to get over the line in 2016 with promotion and I am seeing similarities right now. We are fortunate that other sides haven't taken advantage of our inability to win games and we are still within reach of MK Dons so it's not just us and everyone else but that elusive win must happen either Saturday or Tuesday. Other teams wont fail to win forever...

If we were to draw our final six, then a) that would make it ten unbeaten, and b) I think it would be very close!

Accrington would need nine points from their last six, and Cambridge would need ten, to overtake us.

They each have three games that you would not expect them to win, although football is crazy so you never know (Peterborough/Pompey/Bolton for Accy, Peterborough/Wycombe/Plymouth for Cambridge). I'm still not expecting either of them to get much beyond 45/46 points.

One win over our next two home games would be absolutely massive.

If we were to draw our final six, then a) that would make it ten unbeaten, and b) I think it would be very close!

Accrington would need nine points from their last six, and Cambridge would need ten, to overtake us.

They each have three games that you would not expect them to win, although football is crazy so you never know (Peterborough/Pompey/Bolton for Accy, Peterborough/Wycombe/Plymouth for Cambridge). I'm still not expecting either of them to get much beyond 45/46 points.

46 would be a win and three draws, with two defeats. That sounds quite likely to me. We could end up relying on our goal difference.

My concern is, FGR’s will probably be relegated by the time we play them so will be playing without fear, whereas, on the other hand we’ll be desperate

That is a bit of a worry although they might thinking of the beach!

My team selection for Bolton would be; 3-1-4-2

Eastwood
Long, Negru, Brown
Smyth
Anderson, McGuane, Brannagan, Fleming
Smith & O’Donkor

Subs:
McGinty, Moore, Goodrham, Browne, Murphy, Joseph, Findlay, Wildschut

If Anderson’s not fit then I’d either just replace him with Goodrham or go for a flat back 4 of Long, Negru, Brown, Fleming with Smyth playing a CDM role just in front of back 4, then Goodrham, McGuane, Brannagan across the middle with O’Donkor & Smith up front (4-1-3-2)

Last edited:
My concern is, FGR’s will probably be relegated by the time we play them so will be playing without fear, whereas, on the other hand we’ll be desperate
They could be playing youngsters and on the beach by then.

I think Cambridge are the team iam worried about. We need 2 wins and a draw I think that would do it. They would need 11 pts and Accrington 10 pts with our goal average that could yet prove crucial. But God knows where a win is coming from. You can only see us scoring 1 goal a game .We made Vale look good yesterday and they are poor that doesn't say much about us.

also they play each other on th 29th of April.so they can't both get 3 points from that

I think Cambridge are the team iam worried about. We need 2 wins and a draw I think that would do it. They would need 11 pts and Accrington 10 pts with our goal average that could yet prove crucial. But God knows where a win is coming from. You can only see us scoring 1 goal a game .We made Vale look good yesterday and they are poor that doesn't say much about us.
Well, considering we’ve only drawn 4 and lost 10 in our last 14 games it seems a tall order to get 2 wins and a draw in our last 6 games, but everything crossed.

My god, what a woeful season it’s been.

Amazing how fixtures have panned out:

Apr 29:
Accrington v Cambridge
FGR v Us

May7:
Cambridge v FGR
Us v Accrington
Christ it’s going to be between us and Cambridge isn’t it… the media will love that, queue the ‘varsity’ and ‘boat race’ references. If Cambridge have their noses in front going into the last day we’ve had it. They’ve got as big a 3 point banker to finish with as you could hope for.

Please don’t let a fecking Sam Smith goal send us down…

Christ it’s going to be between us and Cambridge isn’t it… the media will love that, queue the ‘varsity’ and ‘boat race’ references. If Cambridge have their noses in front going into the last day we’ve had it. They’ve got as big a 3 point banker to finish with as you could hope for.

Please don’t let a fecking Sam Smith goal send us down…
Nah, it'll be an oisin Smyth goal that keeps us up 👍👍

Back
Top Bottom