How to complete the season

So I reckon the euros raise tens or hundreds of millions for uefa through advertising and tickets but relatively nothing for the national teams competing.

Is that right ?

The FA cup has only got 7 games left.
They could knock that off in a couple of weeks.

The season won't be completed before June 30th, regardless of what the given reasons are for delaying the Euros. The season cannot start again after the summer, as you will then have had a transfer window in what is essentially a run-in, which is ridiculous. Even if that window is postponed, the end of player contracts and loans in late June / early July means clubs will be without several important players, and free agent players will be essentially team-less for months. It's finishing the season for season's sake, which makes no sense. Furthermore, there was enough of a fuss kicked up over fixture congestion THIS season. What the hell would happen if an season's worth of games had to be crammed into an even shorter amount of time next season?

The season needs to be declared over now. Cup competitions voided (feel in particular for Salford and Pompey fans there), league positions treated as final, with corresponding rewards, including promotions for teams top of the playoff places. I appreciate that obviously could be interpreted as me having an OUFC bias, but what's the alternative?

The season won't be completed before June 30th, regardless of what the given reasons are for delaying the Euros. The season cannot start again after the summer, as you will then have had a transfer window in what is essentially a run-in, which is ridiculous. Even if that window is postponed, the end of player contracts and loans in late June / early July means clubs will be without several important players, and free agent players will be essentially team-less for months. It's finishing the season for season's sake, which makes no sense. Furthermore, there was enough of a fuss kicked up over fixture congestion THIS season. What the hell would happen if an season's worth of games had to be crammed into an even shorter amount of time next season?

The season needs to be declared over now. Cup competitions voided (feel in particular for Salford and Pompey fans there), league positions treated as final, with corresponding rewards, including promotions for teams top of the playoff places. I appreciate that obviously could be interpreted as me having an OUFC bias, but what's the alternative?
Why couldn't Portsmouth play Salford at a later date?
It's one game.

Is everyone forgetting we played 9 matches in the shortest month of the year? It's currently mid-March, and if there are still fears the season can't be completed by the end of June (which is only a recommended guideline, not an instruction) then games will commence behind closed doors.

Voiding the season when the vast majority of it has been played is complete nonsense. Voiding the season doesn't just mean stopping there and starting the new season on time, it means everything gets erased from the books, like this season never happened. I don't know how any fan who's put their time and money into supporting any club this season can see that as a worthwhile option.

Is everyone forgetting we played 9 matches in the shortest month of the year? It's currently mid-March, and if there are still fears the season can't be completed by the end of June (which is only a recommended guideline, not an instruction) then games will commence behind closed doors.

Voiding the season when the vast majority of it has been played is complete nonsense. Voiding the season doesn't just mean stopping there and starting the new season on time, it means everything gets erased from the books, like this season never happened. I don't know how any fan who's put their time and money into supporting any club this season can see that as a worthwhile option.
We’re told to avoid unnecessary social interaction. The players shouldn’t gather together, even if they play behind closed doors.

I agree the season has gone on too far to be voided, not least because Liverpool were about to win the title. I’d accept any decision on how to end it rather than have it voided.

In 1962/63 season we played 8 games in May due to the bad winter.
We might not be able to play in May but the league usually tries to complete fixtures eventually.

It's currently mid-March, and if there are still fears the season can't be completed by the end of June (which is only a recommended guideline, not an instruction) then games will commence behind closed doors.

I've not seen anyone advocating the season being voided. A lot of people are saying that it's the most likely outcome, but that doesn't mean they agree with it.
In legal terms it is the likeliest option for the football authorities (because it is easier to defend in court than the cases that would emerge from calling the current league positions final and promoting and relegating accordingly).
And the idea that games can commence behind closed doors is scuppered by the likelihood of squads having live cases of the virus by then, with no communal training and the knowledge that several will be carriers of the virus without knowing it.

If matches resume after 30th June, to complete the 2019/20 season as some suggesting e.g. August etc, then what happens re; transfer window and players contracts?

this has been the most bizarre season ever!!
started off with the fiasco around Bury, then Bolton playing kids and giving teams who played them early a big advantage, our injury crisis and some brilliant games, and now God knows how it'll end.
won't be forgetting this one.

also games can’t be played at the moment full stop because the pm has stopped all
Medical support and unless I’m mistaken you need at least one ambulance at a football match ?

also games can’t be played at the moment full stop because the pm has stopped all
Medical support and unless I’m mistaken you need at least one ambulance at a football match ?

I believe the number of ambulances / medical staff is based on number of people in attendance. In theory, that means games behind closed doors might not require ambulances to be present. Not saying I agree with games with no fans but it might be something the FA use to help finish the season.

I feel games must be completed. Then kick off next season after a shorter break, players are currently getting a mid-season break now, so won’t need 8-10 weeks off in the summer.

If the shutdown continues into the summer, then postpone the FA, League and Leasing Cups for a season.

Do not null & void this season.

I think it will simply come down to time. If this season can be reasonably completed by 30th June then every effort will be made to make this happen. However, due to contract issues, if that date is impossible then I'd imagine that this season will end and plans will be put in place to start new for next season.

The £50m doesn't seem to be 'new money', it's partly bringing forward payments that would have been made at the end of the season, and partly a pot to make loans from. The loans will be interest free, but still only loans.
The EFL is obliged to sound willing to finish the season but they have also, rightly, added the caveat "subject to national policies regarding public health matters".
I assume there will be stages: a new announcement about a further suspension of games; then a further suspension; then some policy decision about the season according to the national picture in June.

Yeah I thought I was missing something, but that statement really does provide absolutely nothing new.

I suppose any communication is good though.

Back
Top Bottom