How to complete the season

If this does happens, part of my dream has come true, that Luton get relegated as I hate them.

The rest of my dream. We survive financially and hold our own in the "Virtual" championship (ie no crowds)

Kasaam gets in financial difficulties and sells us the stadium for peanuts or free. Then miraculously a cure or vaccine for C19 is found. We build the 4th stand and for season 21/22 we play in front of record crowds at our OWN stadium.

I don't know how to feel about it really. Obviously happy if we do get promoted, and it gives us a much better chance of keeping our top players. But with no 'promotion' moment it feels a little hollow, and if there aren't going to be any crowds for a while, we wouldn't be able to compete financially at all with any of the Championship clubs, as I doubt we'd have the finances to improve the squad significantly. There's a reason why clubs like Barnsley and Rotherham yoyo, and next season won't be the right conditions for us to buck the trend.

Or do the massive financial constraints mean a more even playing field next season? I can't see Championship teams spending loads in the summer.

Or do the massive financial constraints mean a more even playing field next season? I can't see Championship teams spending loads in the summer.
My thoughts, money from the EFL will be less in all league's, but maybe the extra money from the Championship will offset this?

Last edited:

Possibly, but they already have plenty of players suited to that level of football whereas we would need to level up in a few positions where players would be commanding Championship, instead of League One, wages.

One thought to ponder, if we go up and the season starts behind closed doors, there will be demand for more TV coverage and it could be that, more games are broadcast meaning more income for those clubs being featured. Being the "new boys" and already established as attractive to the media for our high scoring and more entertaining football, we could just be seeing enough income to get by ok.
So long as Tiger keeps coming up with funding for the immediate, and that seems to be the case at the moment (who knows where it comes from!) we may yet see a sustained campaign in the Championship.

One of my worries is that we'd have to pay rent to Kassam, but with no means of recouping this money on match days. Anyone got any insight into this and how this might work?

Assuming they screen matches on iFollow, how much of this revenue will the club be able to keep for themselves... will the price be standardised across all EFL clubs?

Club should look at doing the 50/50 draw online as well - Darlington have done this the last few weeks, with prize fund reaching £1500 last week. Small gains for the club.

Football at least at our level may look very different in the future.

I do wonder if there will be more competent players available to play for less money, and the budget may stretch further?

I agree we would be odds-on favourites for relegation, but in this most unprecedented of times, sensible management, the support of a chairman with his head screwed on and a little bit of luck, and who knows?

If clubs are voting on a simple PPG or weighted PPG scenario, then I’d like to think it would go in our favour. Surely clubs who would be looking for promotion next season - whenever that is - would rather us be out of the way than Wycombe.
It's not about that, it's about what is the most statistically fair and accurate method to find the truest outcome. That is clearly weighted PPG.

@Eaststandboy of course positions at the end of the season are based on PPG - in a completed season where everyone plays all their home and away matches (which importantly, is an equal number of each), then whomever has achieved the best PPG will have got the most points. i.e. the table for both would be exactly the same

Last edited:
It's not about that, it's about what is the most statistically fair and accurate method to find truest outcome. That is clearly weighted PPG.

@Eaststandboy of course positions at the end of the season are based on PPG - in a completed season where everyone plays all their home and away matches (which importantly, is an equal number of each), then whomever has achieved the best PPG will have got the most points. i.e. the table for both would be exactly the same
A perfectly reasonable argument. And makes sense!

Yes I was wondering that. Everyone out of contract will be released and any new contracts will be lower

The whole industry has been shown up for what it is and it's main Goal

it has been clear for weeks that a decision was needed quickly not just about this current season but next also, instead all they come across as trying to do is squeeze every drop of ££££££ and invent new rules to enable them to do that..If you don't agree to play on a neutral ground we will vote for relegation etc etc words led by self interest.

it has just become boring and tedious but nothing will have been learned from any of this as you can be sure that going forward it's always going to be the me me me attitude as with many in society.

Sport don't make laugh.

Tbf for a lot of clubs it is about the money as that is required just to survive.

Surely doing promotions but not relegations makes absolutely no logical sense, and just screws up the teams in a way that can only be rectified by an equivalent net-relegation-only season in the future?

Back
Top Bottom