How to complete the season

I think not resuming the season is the likeliest outcome at this stage. but we can't allow the season be voided and pretend like this campaign hasn't happened.

the only way for this season to go is to call it and no promotions or relegations, France today has now finished football so it’s looking more likely that will happen here unless greed steps in.

the only way for this season to go is to call it and no promotions or relegations, France today has now finished football so it’s looking more likely that will happen here unless greed steps in.

Is it greed to want to see the successful clubs get rewarded for their efforts over a 35 game campaign? Surely you can't say the same thing to Bolton that you're going to say to Coventry. There isn't fairness in whatever option is chosen, but you can't ignore what's already happened.

Is it greed to want to see the successful clubs get rewarded for their efforts over a 35 game campaign? Surely you can't say the same thing to Bolton that you're going to say to Coventry. There isn't fairness in whatever option is chosen, but you can't ignore what's already happened.
So Wycombe who were in the top for most of the season are now 8 th and if they win there game in hand they either replace us or at a push could replace Rotherham. All ifs and buts but it would be unfair on some clubs who could go bust. Bolton deserve f**k all but Southend could argue along with Tranmere we could win our remaining matches Wimbledon, Rochdale and the fakes could slip up and any of those 3 could slip into the relegation zone, also the 72 EFL clubs would have to ratify the season finishing and everything stays as it is with the clubs in the promotion and relegation places having the good or misfortune, but do we go up as 3rd place Or Charlton as it stands escaping relegation.

I cannot see this season being finished or next season being started.

A lot of clubs may not be in existence this time next year and that is my biggest worry in regards to the U's!

So Wycombe who were in the top for most of the season are now 8 th and if they win there game in hand they either replace us or at a push could replace Rotherham. All ifs and buts but it would be unfair on some clubs who could go bust. Bolton deserve f**k all but Southend could argue along with Tranmere we could win our remaining matches Wimbledon, Rochdale and the fakes could slip up and any of those 3 could slip into the relegation zone, also the 72 EFL clubs would have to ratify the season finishing and everything stays as it is with the clubs in the promotion and relegation places having the good or misfortune, but do we go up as 3rd place Or Charlton as it stands escaping relegation.
And then there's League Two to consider... ?

I’d rather we completed this season than starting the next one. Basically, it’s probably going to be no different in June 2020, as it is in May 2021, so finish of this season whenever and as soon as possible.

I cannot see this season being finished or next season being started.

A lot of clubs may not be in existence this time next year and that is my biggest worry in regards to the U's!
Your first point in very real.

In terms of the second. I feel the FA and League would be quite lenient. If they go bankrupt to mitigate liability I feel the league would still allow the club to remain in there division.

I’d rather we completed this season than starting the next one. Basically, it’s probably going to be no different in June 2020, as it is in May 2021, so finish of this season whenever and as soon as possible.

I doubt their will be many clubs left to complete this season if next is scrapped, how many can afford to lose a whole seasons income?

I doubt their will be many clubs left to complete this season if next is scrapped, how many can afford to lose a whole seasons income?

We can only play games when we can play them, so if we cannot fit in an additional 10-15 games max to finish a season between now and next June, then that’s beyond me.

To aid fitting in these games we’d need to scrap trophy competition, have no replays in FA Cup, play games twice a week where possible etc.

Depending when we can commence playing again, then you may need to adjust the number of games next season e.g. play each team once, add in an extra cup competition (trophy again, for leagues 1 & 2) if needed.

Next season can be adjusted and agreed once we know when games can commence again, with this season completed. Oh, and the summer (2020) transfer window (or whenever that is, can we shortened 2-4 weeks max)

So, if for example games were able to commence in September, we could complete the 2019/20 season by mid October (latest), then you commence new season (2020/21) in November. This would give you 30 weeks (end of May) to complete next season. If we cannot commence games until January 2021, then we complete 2019/20 season, plus cup competitions to be agreed to hopefully complete games by end of May, 2021.

So it all depends when we can commence games, and then planned accordingly. We effectively require 4-6 weeks to complete the 2019/20 season, so I’m sure we can fit that in whenever.

Last edited:
So if we finish this season and then start next season In say September and play two games a week to catch up what will happen if the virus strikes again in the winter or if we have a bad winter where games are being pp how are we going to fit the lost games in then for me it’s all to complicated I think a proper decision needs to be made about what happens with this season and next season do we void this one to be able to start next all do we finish this season at the risk of next season do teams like Bolton get a way with not being relegated or do Coventry miss the chance to get promoted

Your first point in very real.

In terms of the second. I feel the FA and League would be quite lenient. If they go bankrupt to mitigate liability I feel the league would still allow the club to remain in there division.

With the size of many of the club's, if they go bankrupt they go out of existence, not looking to be over dramatic but I honestly think we will loose some clubs permanently.

So if we finish this season and then start next season In say September and play two games a week to catch up what will happen if the virus strikes again in the winter or if we have a bad winter where games are being pp how are we going to fit the lost games in then for me it’s all to complicated I think a proper decision needs to be made about what happens with this season and next season do we void this one to be able to start next all do we finish this season at the risk of next season do teams like Bolton get a way with not being relegated or do Coventry miss the chance to get promoted

So we potentially end up with the same issue next season as we have this one? It’s only 10-15 games to finish the season. It’s all if’s and but’s, however you look at it, so just finish what we started first.

PS, the virus isn’t going away until a vaccine/treatment is found (6-18 months, if we’re lucky), so that’s this season, possibly next season, who knows. So again, just finish what was started and then plan accordingly.

Last edited:
With the size of many of the club's, if they go bankrupt they go out of existence, not looking to be over dramatic but I honestly think we will loose some clubs permanently.
Yes and one of those could easily be US

Worth pointing out that Ligue 1's broadcast right are only a cool £100m a year. Other leagues with bigger contracts are still in play, so cannot imagine why they are still trying to work it out!

Premier League Football whilst maintaining social distancing? That could be interesting. Presumably we'll still have Ashley Young taking a dive, and Mike Dean still awarding Man Utd a penalty.:ROFLMAO:
Bit harsh if Inter didn’t get the pen imo ?

Well, there is talk that 13 Bundesliga clubs could go bust if they don't restart this season. So it would suggest a hell of a lot in this country.

So we potentially end up with the same issue next season as we have this one? It’s only 10-15 games to finish the season. It’s all if’s and but’s, however you look at it, so just finish what we started first.

PS, the virus isn’t going away until a vaccine/treatment is found (6-18 months, if we’re lucky), so that’s this season, possibly next season, who knows. So again, just finish what was started and then plan accordingly.

But when do we start to finish what we started?

Back
Top Bottom