How to complete the season

If it’s a choice of finishing this season but not playing next and gambling with the clubs future by not playing next or null and voiding it and the club having the full income from next season then it’s a no brainer, you don’t gamble your whole future for around a 1/3 chance of what could be a lone championship season whenever it’s played.

Their is no fair way to go on the table as it stands now, throws up even more problems, so the only hope is that this is over soon, that seems fairly forlorn at the moment.

If the league can’t be realistically restarted by a certain date then make the decision that saves as many clubs as possible and start planning and making provisions for next season, I would rather have a club in league one to support and the memory of a exciting, fun but eventually cut short to no gain season than no club at all.

So, if the season was voided, would Bury be allowed back in? Don't know if they're in a position to but could see their fans calling for it.

I would rather have a club in league one to support and the memory of a exciting, fun but eventually cut short to no gain season than no club at all.

The problem is the leisure pound was already stretched, peoples income has been hit hard and in best case scenario 20% of pay will be missing so where does the money come from to buy season/matchday tickets ?

So, if the season was voided, would Bury be allowed back in? Don't know if they're in a position to but could see their fans calling for it.

No, they were booted out of the football league, that wouldn’t be effected by voiding a season.

The problem is the leisure pound was already stretched, peoples income has been hit hard and in best case scenario 20% of pay will be missing so where does the money come from to buy season/matchday tickets ?

Their will be a drop in season ticket sales but you will get more income from people who will come to the odd match as they will be bored of no football, probably not enough to make up the gap but combined it’s going to be a hell of a lot more than not playing a season. Plus tv money etc.

There’s a point here though. If the season is voided and starts again, you wouldn’t want a league of 23 clubs, plus it would be tedious to start with Bolton having the same points deduction again. So they would probably look to move some clubs around, whether by means of promotion and relegation or not I don’t know.

There’s a point here though. If the season is voided and starts again, you wouldn’t want a league of 23 clubs, plus it would be tedious to start with Bolton having the same points deduction again. So they would probably look to move some clubs around, whether by means of promotion and relegation or not I don’t know.

That is assuming the points deduction for Bolton can still be applied to next season.

I reckon the lawyers could have some fun with that considering voiding this season would mean it didn't exist.

But they got kicked out of the FL not a particular season, the organisation itself, before any of this happened. They were not and are not members of the Football League (not even sure they exist anymore) so what happens now is of no relevance to them.

But they got kicked out of the FL not a particular season, the organisation itself, before any of this happened. They were not and are not members of the Football League (not even sure they exist anymore) so what happens now is of no relevance to them.

I believe legally they still exist but they got kicked out over the incidents that happened in this season as the FL didn't kick them out until this season. I reckon a lawyer can make enough arguments to at least initiate court proceedings.

It's been done before (I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago in reference to the playoff discussion).

In 1987-88, the English First Division was played with 21 clubs, and the English Second Division with 23.

This was during the period where they were reducing the number of top flight clubs from 22 to 20 - and the Football League made a conscious decision to do that over two seasons, and play one with an odd number of teams, rather than double down on relegation in a single season.

Don't think they'll blink at doing it again for a year - even if it does leave League One clubs twiddling their thumbs for a Saturday or two.

It's been done before (I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago in reference to the playoff discussion).

In 1987-88, the English First Division was played with 21 clubs, and the English Second Division with 23.

This was during the period where they were reducing the number of top flight clubs from 22 to 20 - and the Football League made a conscious decision to do that over two seasons, and play one with an odd number of teams, rather than double down on relegation in a single season.

Don't think they'll blink at doing it again for a year - even if it does leave League One clubs twiddling their thumbs for a Saturday or two.
That was done deliberately, whereas Bury dropped out at the last minute. If there's time to plan it surely they would rearrange the leagues.

Very speculative but here's the latest rumour.

Played behind closed doors, beginning in July over a 4-6 week period.

A lot of clubs are going to be very stretched financially if that's the case.

Just like any other business struggling though. Can‘t make exceptions just because it’s football.

Maybe if the greed from up above would trickle down, it would help. There is no reason why the wealth at the top of the football pyramid cannot be used to protect those in danger of extinction.

But I suspect nothing will be done and we will continue to hear stories about how multi millionaire players are “coping” in isolation or having wages cut... frankly I do not want to hear it from them.

If games are to be behind closed doors then every match should be televised/streamed so clubs can get income from that

I am coming around to the belief that this season is done. All results will be annulled and reset for the coming season, if that can even start. All the arguments, financial or otherwise, amount to nothing in comparison with lives saved.

I am not happy about that, we had a real chance of promotion into the Championship and many other teams will have just as much to miss, some may face severe financial problems from not getting promoted or getting relegated. That is where the EFL, FA and Premiership will have to come together and reach agreement on assistance. If it takes government intervention, so be it.

If games are to be behind closed doors then every match should be televised/streamed so clubs can get income from that
How many more times? There won't be games behind closed doors. The players can't gather together at the moment or for the foreseeable future. If there does come a time when going back to work is allowed but mass gatherings are still banned, closed door games are still unlikely due to the risk of people gathering outside.

I am coming around to the belief that this season is done. All results will be annulled and reset for the coming season, if that can even start. All the arguments, financial or otherwise, amount to nothing in comparison with lives saved.

I am not happy about that, we had a real chance of promotion into the Championship and many other teams will have just as much to miss, some may face severe financial problems from not getting promoted or getting relegated. That is where the EFL, FA and Premiership will have to come together and reach agreement on assistance. If it takes government intervention, so be it.
If anything that could be sorted for the grass root clubs is to try ( which I doubt those greedy sods will agree to ) is to get the FA to grow some B*****s and get some more distribution in f the wealth they receive every season and distribute it Amongst the grass root clubs and not a percentage of the money to each league but a complete even distribution, and if a club says they can’t because of the wages reming them that some of these players have already made large charitable donations already so why should the worry

Back
Top Bottom