England v Italy EURO 2020 Cup Final

001 Taxis - 10% discount for forum members
Having slept on it I have a couple of thoughts.

The team did bloody great to get to the final.
Grelish should have come on at half time for Stirling
Pickford did great as keeper throughout the tournement
Maguire showed the whole world how to take a penalty

Disappointed? Yes a bit. But still proud that we got to the final and only lost it on pens.

Having slept on it I have a couple of thoughts.

The team did bloody great to get to the final.
Grelish should have come on at half time for Stirling
Pickford did great as keeper throughout the tournement
Maguire showed the whole world how to take a penalty

Disappointed? Yes a bit. But still proud that we got to the final and only lost it on pens.
what @Malc said ^^

We didn't lose the game. We lost the penalty shoot out that happened after the game had ended. I'm holding onto that.
Straws ( clutching at ).🤣🤣. Just my sentiments.!
Very proud of what Gareth and the team have achieved. A World Cup semi final and a Euro Final isn’t too shabby. We played a team who hasn’t lost in 33 games and they didn’t beat us over 120 minutes. Penalties are a lottery that can go either way.
As for the idiots who abuse on social media they should be ashamed of themselves!!!
Well done Italy and well done England for putting pride back into English Football.
I bet a dozen of those games were against San Marino.

Shared from social media ....

This is England.
This is England: Raheem Sterling, whose big sister would go with him to training and back every day, three buses each way, and never once complained. Raheem Sterling, who called the day he bought his mum a house ‘the best day of my life.’
This is England: Jordan Henderson, who spent most of the first lockdown last year organising the other 19 Premiership captains to help raise money for the NHS.
This is England: Marcus Rashford, who secured free school meals for vulnerable kids during school holidays after the government had refused to extend the programme. Marcus Rashford, who lives by the words of his mother Melanie: ‘take pride in knowing that your struggle will play the biggest role in your purpose.’
This is England: Mason Mount, who gave the shirt he’d worn in the semi-final victory over Denmark to a 10-year-old girl called Belle in the crowd, and in doing her made her smile a smile so incandescent it could melt the Siberian permafrost.
This is England: Tyrone Mings, who spent part of his childhood in a homeless shelter, who played non-league football while working as a barman and mortgage advisor, and who tells kids at the coaching camps he runs that the game is nothing unless they enjoy it. Tyrone Mings, who was taunted with monkey chants on his England debut against Bulgaria and didn’t pretend he hadn’t heard, who turned to the assistant referee and said, firmly but without aggression, ‘did you hear that?’ As in: we’ve got a problem here, you’re part of the officiating team, so this is your problem too and I’m not going to let you duck it, because though this was the most important match of his life there were some things which were more important still than that.
This is England: Luke Shaw, who when playing for Southampton watched Liverpool players file unseeingly past two small boys waiting for their autographs, and who went over and said ‘I know I don’t play for your team, but will I do?’ and posed for a photo with them which they will never forget.
This is England: Declan Rice, who would play cage football in New Malden every day after school and all day on Saturdays, not because he was the best but because he wasn’t.
This is England: Bukayo Saka, who got As and A*s in his GCSEs because his parents insisted that he work as hard inside the classroom as he did on the pitch. Bukayo Saka, whose Christian name in Yoruba means ‘adds to happiness.’
This is England: Kieran Trippier, who still speaks regularly to his old teachers at Woodhey High School in Bury because they looked out for him and his brothers. Kieran Trippier, who every day has cause to reflect on the truth of the inscription by the school gates: ‘where dreams may grow.’
This is England: Kalvin Phillips, whose mum worked two jobs while his dad was in and out of prison. One of those jobs was at Harpo’s Pizzas, where you can now order the Kalvin’s Special.
This is England: Gareth Southgate, who until recently was most famous for missing a penalty he had the balls to volunteer for even though he’d never taken one before, because he knew what Teddy Roosevelt meant when he talked about the man in the arena.
These, too, are England: a system which rewards the venal, the vainglorious and the mendacious; tribes which assume the worst of each other and snipe over Brexit, lockdown and masks; public services creaking under the strain of decades of underfunding; kids getting stabbed and women getting attacked; idiots who boo the opponents’ national anthems and shine laser pens at their goalkeepers; and so very, very much more. These too are England, and they will still be so next week, next month and next year.
But, if only for today, there is an England of Raheem Sterling and Jordan Henderson, of Marcus Rashford and Mason Mount, of Tyrone Mings and Luke Shaw, of Declan Rice and Bukayo Saka, of Kieran Trippier and Kalvin Phillips, and of Gareth Southgate. If only for today, this is my England. You choose yours.
Anonymous

The football side of last night was obviously cripplingly disappointing. We ceded the ball for 80 minutes to disastrous effect, made the wrong substitutions and had the wrong penalty takers. A grim watch and a missed opportunity.

But the overwhelming bitterness for me today is the shame that the off-field antics have brought on the country this tournament. I'm sure it's been mentioned up the thread somewhere, but seeing the videos yesterday and this morning of what was going on in London and in Wembley, and the horrific racist abuse that was predictably levelled at the penalty takers as soon as that last penalty was saved, has been mortifying. They would be bad enough in themselves - but for me they colour all the other reports of England fans' at-best questionable behaviour this tournament.

In isolation they can be explained away as being the actions of a small minority, not representative of the entire fan base. Booing the knee? It's only a vocal minority, whose boos were drowned out by the majority. Booing the opponent's national anthem? Just a bit of footballing pantomime (even though this is obviously coloured by the xenophobic atmosphere gripping the country at the moment). Laser in the eyes, a Danish family attacked on their way home? Just a couple of individual idiots, they don't represent the fanbase as a whole.

But the scenes yesterday, the carnage in central London, the hordes of people storming into Wembley, the violence everywhere on a day that was supposed to be a celebration of English football's greatest achievement in 55 years means that, for me, it can't be brushed under the carpet as some extreme minority. For all the talk of how this wonderful team has 'brought the country together' over the past month and 'given us all something to cheer about', it's clear that a massive proportion of the country are simply complete C***s. The tournament, and the success that it has brought, hasn't 'brought out the best' in the country - it's brought out the obnoxious, violent, racist worst.

I'm not sure whether this is just me still feeling gutted the morning after. But it really feels like my overriding memory of this tournament will be, not pride and excitement in an England team reaching a major final, and memories of the wonderful moments, shared with some of my favourite people in the world, that brought us there, but shame that this is the country that represents me. And it is very difficult this morning to reconcile my enthusiasm for English football with what it obviously represents.

Someone took a screenshot of a racist post on Twitter before the poster deleted it. It was traced back to estate agents Savills. Savills said they would investigate when their offices open. So on the heels of an estate agent prosecuted and sacked for abusing Chris Whitty we have another moron from the same profession about to be sacked and, hopefully, prosecuted.

Amen to that

my soundtrack for the day after the night before ....

The football side of last night was obviously cripplingly disappointing. We ceded the ball for 80 minutes to disastrous effect, made the wrong substitutions and had the wrong penalty takers. A grim watch and a missed opportunity.

But the overwhelming bitterness for me today is the shame that the off-field antics have brought on the country this tournament. I'm sure it's been mentioned up the thread somewhere, but seeing the videos yesterday and this morning of what was going on in London and in Wembley, and the horrific racist abuse that was predictably levelled at the penalty takers as soon as that last penalty was saved, has been mortifying. They would be bad enough in themselves - but for me they colour all the other reports of England fans' at-best questionable behaviour this tournament.

In isolation they can be explained away as being the actions of a small minority, not representative of the entire fan base. Booing the knee? It's only a vocal minority, whose boos were drowned out by the majority. Booing the opponent's national anthem? Just a bit of footballing pantomime (even though this is obviously coloured by the xenophobic atmosphere gripping the country at the moment). Laser in the eyes, a Danish family attacked on their way home? Just a couple of individual idiots, they don't represent the fanbase as a whole.

But the scenes yesterday, the carnage in central London, the hordes of people storming into Wembley, the violence everywhere on a day that was supposed to be a celebration of English football's greatest achievement in 55 years means that, for me, it can't be brushed under the carpet as some extreme minority. For all the talk of how this wonderful team has 'brought the country together' over the past month and 'given us all something to cheer about', it's clear that a massive proportion of the country are simply complete C***s. The tournament, and the success that it has brought, hasn't 'brought out the best' in the country - it's brought out the obnoxious, violent, racist worst.

I'm not sure whether this is just me still feeling gutted the morning after. But it really feels like my overriding memory of this tournament will be, not pride and excitement in an England team reaching a major final, and memories of the wonderful moments, shared with some of my favourite people in the world, that brought us there, but shame that this is the country that represents me. And it is very difficult this morning to reconcile my enthusiasm for English football with what it obviously represents.
May I thank you and sarge for two posts that put into perspective my crushing disappointment at last nights result and for making me realise just how much work there still is to do to eradicate the vile racism that exists within the game I love

It’s time to bring football home from the racism, violence, arrogance and ignorance. From every country, but exemplified by England.

I don’t mean the banter, historical context, needle, sarcasm and nervy edge, I mean - as ttg17 describes - the violence, the criminal racism, the Volkswagen vandalising, the beckham effigy hanging and uncontrolled emotion. If you really can’t handle your beer and a loss without having a tear stained ruck with a bystander or a vitriolic tweet then maybe it’s time to try something different.

We’ve got some cultural problems to deal with before football comes home.

People can pretend otherwise all they like, but this is what begins to happen to a society when it is intentionally and purposefully divided and riled up at every opportunity, for years at a time. This is a brief glimpse at a new national mood and an increasingly aggressive collective mindset - for people to dismiss it as a few football fans being thugs would be beyond naive. This isn’t solely about football, this is a behavioural change.

You can’t tease and poke a dog in the ribs every day for months and years at a time without it changing its nature. It flinches; it winces; it jolts; it whimpers; it groans; it growls; it snarls; it barks; it bites. It’s a process and it’s been going on for years. There is nothing in this country more influential than the tone of the media and the messaging of politicians, both of which tend to go hand in hand. It’s been that way for decades, but now it’s on steroids. We are starting to move into dangerous territory. The needle is entering the red zone.

Still. At least the people who wedged smoke bombs between their bum cheeks (who get to make their own decisions about what is and isn’t safe and sensible as of next week) had a nice time.

Southgate was mostly always on his own. Very rarely did you see the back room team alongside him on the touch line. Mancini had plenty of advice and support from his team. Italy were very together on and off the pitch.

I like that in a team.
Have a watch of the Graham Taylor documentary again, watch the Phil neal, Laurie mcmenemy, Taylor trio in action, and you’ll be glad to see GS thinking for himself :)

Back
Top Bottom