England vs Ukraine

001 Taxis - 10% discount for forum members
Denmark could be harder to beat than Italy should we both make the final. Denmark. We should be favourites to win at home with the crowd lifting us, although Denmark played well against Belgium.
After watching Italy last match they must be favourites so we should be more relaxed, will be a different approach of course. We shall see, think either game will be tight, as previous poster said, could go all the way to penalties

Everything is falling almost perfectly into place . I do think we could have done more in the group stages ( Czech 2nd half especially) as we have some talented attackers and were overly cautions .
Southgate has got the results so impossible to argue against how he has gone about it , proof of the pudding etc
Mullers miss , goal with 5 mins of start then two just after half time with our mis firing talisman striker finding form just at the right time .
Now back to playing at home with larger crowds than seen for ages .......

When people say ‘three semi finals in a row’ I assume they’re including the nations league? In which case that’s a bit misleading as that’s a very new competition - I’m pretty sure if the 1998-2002 teams had a Nations League to constantly compete in then we would no doubt have reached a lot more semi finals!

On TV they were saying two semi-finals in a row which seems more accurate/fair.

When people say ‘three semi finals in a row’ I assume they’re including the nations league? In which case that’s a bit misleading as that’s a very new competition - I’m pretty sure if the 1998-2002 teams had a Nations League to constantly compete in then we would no doubt have reached a lot more semi finals!

You could argue we’ve reached 3 in a row but only two were in major tournaments where as the nation league is like the pizza trophy

It's misleading to include a semi-final in a recognised UEFA tournament when counting semi-finals reached? Its more accurate if you count it, not the other way around.

It's misleading to include a semi-final in a recognised UEFA tournament when counting semi-finals reached? Its more accurate if you count it, not the other way around.
It’s not really a major finals though is it. It’s simply not as impressive as reaching three actual semi finals (WC/Euros) and yet it’s being held up as if it is.

If they started doing the Olympics every year and then someone said ‘Team GB have got a record number of Olympic medals this decade!’ It would technically be true, but still misleading.

I agree - albeit the Nations league is sort of an International equivalent of the Pappa Johns Trophy

It’s not really a major finals though is it. It’s simply not as impressive as reaching three actual semi finals (WC/Euros) and yet it’s being held up as if it is.

If they started doing the Olympics every year and then someone said ‘Team GB have got a record number of Olympic medals this decade!’ It would technically be true, but still misleading.
Nowhere near as impressive, but it's still correct though. I certainly didn't celebrate it, in fact I didn't even watch the Nations League semi-finals games.

Also worth noting that if we count the Nations League, then our run is already over - because we've already been knocked out of this year's version!

Everything is falling almost perfectly into place . I do think we could have done more in the group stages ( Czech 2nd half especially) as we have some talented attackers and were overly cautions .
Southgate has got the results so impossible to argue against how he has gone about it , proof of the pudding etc
Mullers miss , goal with 5 mins of start then two just after half time with our mis firing talisman striker finding form just at the right time .
Now back to playing at home with larger crowds than seen for ages .......

A stat they had pointed out on US TV yesterday (courtesy Ian Darke - all the English commentators you were wondering where they'd got to? They're on US TV).....

Last night was the sixth time that England had scored in the first five minutes of a game at the Euros - the most of any nation.

The previous five? We had managed to lose all of them.

Also worth noting that if we count the Nations League, then our run is already over - because we've already been knocked out of this year's version!

But this is Euro 2020 which predates us being knocked out the nation’s league?

Sir Alf never got to the semis of the Nations Cup which is why including it gives an unfair comparison. And anyway Southgate doesn't need it following the last two excellent performances.

Sir Alf never got to the semis of the Nations Cup which is why including it gives an unfair comparison. And anyway Southgate doesn't need it following the last two excellent performances.
What a strange argument. Do you exclude the League Cup from discussions about managers because it only started in 1960? It's not fair on Herbert Chapman because it wasn't around then so we will ignore it completely?

Any other random rules you'd like to introduce for no reason? It is a current "tournament" (albeit a messy fudge to make friendlies more meaningful)

What a strange argument. Do you exclude the League Cup from discussions about managers because it only started in 1960? It's not fair on Herbert Chapman because it wasn't around then so we will ignore it completely?

Any other random rules you'd like to introduce for no reason? It is a current "tournament" (albeit a messy fudge to make friendlies more meaningful)
All I'm saying is compare like with like. On that basis, after the last two games Southgate's record stands up well.

Kane played well.
Thanks I did see the goals again but pissed of at the time the father of the bride was being collared by Mrs bazzer get so and so a beer. And I told the reception that giving my daughter away was one of the hardest things I did and I’m not a generous person.

But tbf at the time they were justified
Most people were pretty sure that he would come good.
With a great goalscorer like Kane it was pretty inevitable.
Southgate was spot on in keeping him in the team.

Most people were pretty sure that he would come good.
With a great goalscorer like Kane it was pretty inevitable.
Southgate was spot on in keeping him in the team.
Fare comment but how long do you give? There are no sentiments in football

Back
Top Bottom