England vs Ukraine

001 Taxis - 10% discount for forum members

Grumpy Git

Just seen that seven of the eight officials on duty for the quarter-final clash are German, including referee Felix Brych.
Why are the officials not from the other half of the draw or from a nation that has already been knocked out?
To be using officials from Germany is asking for questions to be asked for any contentious issues given against England.

Just seen that seven of the eight officials on duty for the quarter-final clash are German, including referee Felix Brych.
Why are the officials not from the other half of the draw or from a nation that has already been knocked out?
To be using officials from Germany is asking for questions to be asked for any contentious issues given against England.
think its English officials in the Swiss V Spain match

I'm asking for trouble here, but honestly if I could pick one European nation to referee an England game.....I'd probably choose Germany!
The stereotypical national characteristics - efficiency, unflappability, professionalism - are exactly what you need from a Ref!

As far as the game goes.....let's just say I'll be OK if England lose in the Final; I'll be disappointed if we lose to Denmark in the semis, but understand that they're a decent side; but if we lose to this Ukraine team in the Quarters, I'll be livid. I've seen a couple of their games, and they are a very, very limited side.

I'm asking for trouble here, but honestly if I could pick one European nation to referee an England game.....I'd probably choose Germany!
The stereotypical national characteristics - efficiency, unflappability, professionalism - are exactly what you need from a Ref!

As far as the game goes.....let's just say I'll be OK if England lose in the Final; I'll be disappointed if we lose to Denmark in the semis, but understand that they're a decent side; but if we lose to this Ukraine team in the Quarters, I'll be livid. I've seen a couple of their games, and they are a very, very limited side.
OK if England lose in the final ?
I would be absolutely gutted. To lose a final is the worst place to lose surely?

I would be absolutely gutted. To lose a final is the worst place to lose surely?

Gutted yes, but you can still feel proud.

Much less so going out before then given the favourable route we have.

Tomorrow night we just need to attack play the most attacking players we have because Ukraine will defend for their life and hope to hit us on the counter or at a set piece I actually think will be 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Vs 🇮🇹 final

Better than not leaving the group surely - or even making the tournament? I’d say go as far as you can, win as many games as you can. Getting to a final would be massive experience for this group of players and help for the next World Cup. Losing to Ukraine or Denmark won’t… (Plus a final would be a progression from the semi final last time around, leaving it open for winning the WC next year…

Tomorrow night we just need to attack play the most attacking players we have because Ukraine will defend for their life and hope to hit us on the counter or at a set piece I actually think will be 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Vs 🇮🇹 final
Won't happen.
Southgate has made it clear how he is going to play. To win regardless of how we play.
It will be a similar team I guess with maybe a 4 at the back (?) and maybe Henderson for Phillips due to yellow card?

Better than not leaving the group surely - or even making the tournament? I’d say go as far as you can, win as many games as you can. Getting to a final would be massive experience for this group of players and help for the next World Cup. Losing to Ukraine or Denmark won’t… (Plus a final would be a progression from the semi final last time around, leaving it open for winning the WC next year…
Sure I get that.
But I am not sure that I would want to accept a defeat in the final at the moment.
Why not win it?

Would reaching the final of the euro’s eclipse the two semi finals we’ve had in the World Cup since ‘66?

All teams when wearing white have got through one for the stats folk

Media suggesting Mount and Sancho to start…

Be interesting to see who drops out.

F8669D4E-504A-4F77-BCA1-6C53185F159F.jpeg
This would be my 11 for tonight. I can see Southgate sticking with both Rice and Phillips in the CDM positions, but I’d like to see Mount just ahead of Rice with Grealish in that CAM role. I’m looking forward to seeing more of Sancho in an England shirt, and now his move to Man U has completed, I hope he makes a statement tonight.

Let me rephrase then - if we lost in the final, I would be sad but at the same time proud.....and there would be no anger at all (towards the England management at least.....I reserve the right to be angry at match officials and/or diving Italians or Spaniards)

If we lose in the semi-finals to Denmark, I would be more frustrated than sad.....but I'd acknoledge that it's a decent run and opposition and I wouldn't be on here calling for Southgate's head.

If we lose today, I will be apoplectic with rage!

I get that Southgate is likely to be conservative, because that's his MO, but he clearly also adjusts his tactical set-up for the opposition. And today, that opposition is likely to look roughly like a bus parked in Ukraine's half with Zinchenko wandering around next to it.

We don't need the extra defender that we played against Germany, and we do instead need Grealish as he's the most likely to find a piece of magic to unlock a stubborn defense. LeftSideBoy's lineup looks just right to me.......

Back
Top Bottom