England charged by Uefa over laser pointer ....

001 Taxis - 10% discount for forum members
How come we have national anthems before international football matches but not other sports?
I think international Rugby use National Anthems before matches. F1 use them at the end for the winning driver, as do the Olympics.
Whereas in Cricket, England play Jerusalem before home test matches, but I don’t know how long they’ve done that for.

I don’t know how true this is, but I’ve heard the origin of the National Anthem being played before sport, started over 100 years ago when Wales were hosting New Zealand in the Rugby. Wales started singing Land of my fathers in response to the New Zealand Hacker.
That may need clarifying though, the Welsh can “sometimes” get carried away with national pride.

I think international Rugby use National Anthems before matches. F1 use them at the end for the winning driver, as do the Olympics.
Whereas in Cricket, England play Jerusalem before home test matches, but I don’t know how long they’ve done that for.

I don’t know how true this is, but I’ve heard the origin of the National Anthem being played before sport, started over 100 years ago when Wales were hosting New Zealand in the Rugby. Wales started singing Land of my fathers in response to the New Zealand Hacker.
That may need clarifying though, the Welsh can “sometimes” get carried away with national pride.
Ice hockey has the national anthem before club level games

Ice hockey has the national anthem before club level games
Wow. That’s very keen.
Is it because Ice Hockey’s an American import, and the American anthem would be sung before all sporting events in America?

Wow. That’s very keen.
Is it because Ice Hockey’s an American import, and the American anthem would be sung before all sporting events in America?
Yes - I think that's the case. I was at a game many years ago where one of the players got a 2 minute sinbin penalty before the match had started for 'disrespecting the national anthem' as he decided to do a bit of skating on the spot to warm up whilst it was playing!

Yes - I think that's the case. I was at a game many years ago where one of the players got a 2 minute sinbin penalty before the match had started for 'disrespecting the national anthem' as he decided to do a bit of skating on the spot to warm up whilst it was playing!

Do they still only play about 30 secs of it? Back in the day, when John Harvey-Lynch used to do the tannoy/music etc it barely lasted a chorus, if that.

Back
Top Bottom