Cricket

Pathetic response from Cricket Australia. Luckily the Aussie press (see below) and the true Oz cricket fans are as disgusted by this if not more so than us. They're the ones feeling the shame while their captain sits there and blatantly admits to pre-planned cheating, 'just an idea we had to gain an advantage'. And the coaches, in particular Lehmann, didn't know a thing about it? Give me strength. Heads will roll for this.

What does ‘stepping down’ really mean though? If Warner and Smith are still allowed to be part of the team it’s no punishment at all. I think they should be banned completely. In Smith’s initial interview he didn’t really apologise for doing it, just sorry that they had been caught.

Funnily enough, the Australians have struggled to swing the ball today. Must be a coincidence.

The complete lack of class in that team has finally been exposed in a most brutal way. The coach had to be complicit because he radioed Hanscomb to get on the field after the umpires spoke to Bancroft. Their fans were going in on the team on Twitter last night. The Indian fans weren't polite, but the true Aussie fans were very unhappy. Sadly, it's been there for a while but not said anything because winning the Ashes was more important.

The difference with Atherton is he took on himself to do it, the Aussies was a cynical attempt to cheat by the team.

The ICCs punishment. Smith banned for a game, Bancroft gets 3 demerit points. Really harsh punishment..........

I rather liked Stuart Broad in the press conference when (to paraphrase) asking why did they stop doing what they did in the Ashes when it was so successful? A lovely comment that implied ball tampering.

Michael Vaughan pretty sure the Aussies were ball tampering in the recent Ashes series. Strong words.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43549074
I saw a comment, maybe Vaughan, saying that they were surprised at how regularly the ball started reversing in the 26th (or so) over for the Aussies in the Ashes.

It was the fact that the Saffers suspected something was up and dedicated lots of camera time to try and find the ball tampering. I'm sure the home broadcaster is feeling very smug right now

I rather liked Stuart Broad in the press conference when (to paraphrase) asking why did they stop doing what they did in the Ashes when it was so successful? A lovely comment that implied ball tampering.

That comment from Broad was so telling. The sort of slightly innocent ‘thinking out loud’ deduction that the detective Columbo would come out with. No accusation from Broad whatsoever but at the same time saying “we knew & now you’ve been caught”

A couple of seasons ago Tim Paine was wicket keeper for Banbury CC now he’s taken on the captaincy of Australia.
Quite a turn around!

I don't think he is a fall guy in this case as he has been involved in most disciplinary incidents in recent years and was clearly involved in this one as vice-captain. That article also suggests that Lehmann and Smith will be gone as well.

Edit:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...-crisis-tears-team-apart-20180327-p4z6ks.html

So the players are making him their scapegoat. I don't believe the other players' claims either that they didn't know and it is all down to Warner.

Last edited:
The persistent silence from Boof says a lot. CA knew who they were getting when they appointed him, so cannot complain too much.

The belief from the Aussies that they would get away with it because they always have, has cost them. A wiser group would have stepped it back in the last test after the complaints about Warner. The vice captain being involved condemns the whole leadership team for their bad judgement - I'm not sure the bowlers can wash their hands of it completely. They must have known the ball was being enhanced.

It is so lovely to see the baggy green veneer crumble into dust. England can hardly talk with Stokes, but at least made an immediate decision to suspend him and Hales. CA have looked useless.

I hope Warner's wife has been taken from the tour. She's a feisty one and very protective of Warner.

Apparently the Cricket Australia press conference is on Sky Sports News at 6pm.

Back
Top Bottom