National News Boris Johnson - Ousted Former PM

The point is that over period of 2010-2020 MPs have had a 2% increase in salaries in real terms when inflation is factored in.

Over that same time period, Nurses had a 5% decrease, Teachers a 6% decrease and Police a whopping 14% decrease when inflation is factored in.

https://fullfact.org/online/public-sector-salaries/

Also during that time, most parts of the public sector were subjected to a pay freeze (2011 - 2013) followed by a maximum of 1% increases or (for 2013-17)and now the impostion of a further pay freeze from 2021. https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-8037/CBP-8037.pdf

The only time that MP's salaries have not gone up by more than inflation in that period, was 2020-21 where they were frozen due to Covid. https://www.statista.com/statistics/388885/mp-salary-uk/

So the point, as you well know, is that MP's have had signficantly bigger pay rises during the same period that they have overseen a massive devaluing of the public sector pay settlement. And they hide behind the bunkum that it is an Independent Pay Review Body to justify taking it.

But we're all in it together, aren't we (if you're as gullible as you make out ;) )

Totally agree with this point.

Incredibly hypocritical taking these level of pay increases in the face of pay freezes elsewhere. But why are we not surprised ?

Get the public sector back up to correct pay levels and let’s stop complaining when taxes and rail fares rocket.

Just for @Sheik djibouti ..................

Take a Band 6 NHS employee - starting salary £32,306.
After 2 years their intermediate salary point is £34,172 - £1,866 increase.
After 3 years that goes up to £39,037 - £4,865 increase.

In 3 years their salary increases by a total of £6,731.

Plus an annual % increase..... and a pension scheme.

If they are REALLY lucky they signed up to the 2008 FS scheme and didn`t switch in 2015. :)

Feel free to work out the % over time.

I assume that your comments regarding pensioners being bone idle f-----s is a generalisation or attempted wit. I would point out that the State Pension in the UK is
somewhat lower than other major industrialised nations in the EU. I retired at 70, not because I needed to work but to keep active. At present I also carry out unpaid consultancy
work a few days a month. I know plenty of pensioners who also work (some through necessity but most for something to do). It is also worth noting that interest rates in
the 70/80s were a good deal higher for mortgages. For savers now it is an absolute joke as you know. Before you ask, yes I do vote Tory and yes a Brexiteer.
It was (of course) purposefully a huge generlisation, just like those made about people who receive benefits, or are left in position that they feel they have no option but to take industrial action because their pay and conditions are being eroded. Gross generalisations do not help anyone.

And yes, our state pensions have always been below France and Germany, for example, but as this illustrates, it is hard to compare apples with pears: https://fullfact.org/online/pensions-countries-comparisons/

The telling line for me is the % of GDP - from the article:

"All the countries listed in the graphic generally have higher public spending on old-age pensions as a proportion of GDP (the size of their economies) than the UK does . Using figures for 2015, the equivalent of 5.2% of UK GDP went into public spending on pensions, compared to 7.7% in Spain, 7.9% in Germany and 12.1% in France.

Those figures are just counting pensions and benefits provided by the state, not occupational pensions or voluntary savings people make."

It is great that anyone who wants to can work beyond retirement age, not so great that there are some that have to through necessity. I am all for choice, but the reality is many do not have that choice and we are failing to look after those who need it most. And beofre someone comes back o the amount of help the state have given/are giving out, think about this quote from Ken Clarke today:

"You’ve got to protect the poor, stop giving me money to pay my power bills. I’m not rich, but I got £1,100 pounds out of the government in the latest package. It’s absurd. I’ve got two houses and I’m a pensioner. Very nice, but I don’t need it."

Here's another fun fact about pensioners: One in five households in Great Britain, headed by an over-65, has a total wealth of over a million pounds.: https://fullfact.org/economy/millionaire-pensioners/

And as for savers rates - maybe someone ought to have a quiet word with the bank and financial institutions to pass on some of that killing they're now making on the interest rate difference 🤷‍♂️

As for your voting preferences - yu can't get it right all of the time....never mind!:ROFLMAO:

If they are REALLY lucky they signed up to the 2008 FS scheme and didn`t switch in 2015. :)

Just goes to prove what a cushy number you are on. Most of the public sector did away with incremental progression on salary scales years ago🤷‍♂️

And the reason you still have it in the NHS?

Because the Unions stood up for you!

EDIT: In fact, lets have a look at the criteria for progression shall we? https://www.unison.org.uk/content/uploads/2021/03/26044.pdf

"How do I move up to my next pay step point?
To progress to your next pay step point, you will need to have met the following standards, to show that:
1. You have had an appraisal meeting within the last 12 months and the outcomes are in line with the organisation’s standards.
2. You are not in a formal capability process.
3. There is no formal disciplinary sanction live on your employment record.*
4. You have completed all required statutory and/or mandatory training.
5. If you are a line manager, you will need to have completed all the appraisals for your staff as required.

Not really that taxing is it and only minimal reference to being performance related....

And you are the one who says the NHS wastes money....tsk tsk :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I read that that they are underpaid for three years as they are learning the role in that time.

Just goes to prove what a cushy number you are on. Most of the public sector did away with incremental progression on salary scales years ago🤷‍♂️

And the reason you still have it in the NHS?

Because the Unions stood up for you!

EDIT: In fact, lets have a look at the criteria for progression shall we? https://www.unison.org.uk/content/uploads/2021/03/26044.pdf

"How do I move up to my next pay step point?
To progress to your next pay step point, you will need to have met the following standards, to show that:
1. You have had an appraisal meeting within the last 12 months and the outcomes are in line with the organisation’s standards.
2. You are not in a formal capability process.
3. There is no formal disciplinary sanction live on your employment record.*
4. You have completed all required statutory and/or mandatory training.
5. If you are a line manager, you will need to have completed all the appraisals for your staff as required.

Not really that taxing is it and only minimal reference to being performance related....

And you are the one who says the NHS wastes money....tsk tsk :rolleyes:

I`m in a union thank you. :)

You can tick the box to opt out of political donations.

Personal choice thank you.
Not all managers in the NHS are "nice", in fact, some are complete ****holes.
He doesn`t work there anymore, I do.
Know your enemy, know the policies, join a union. ;)
Ah...workers protections.

Maybe you ought to educate your Tory chums as to its value ;)

I've also added value to your assertion - no thanks needed.

Last edited:
Personal choice thank you.
Not all managers in the NHS are "nice", in fact, some are complete ****holes.
He doesn`t work there anymore, I do.
Know your enemy, know the policies, join a union. ;)
Don’t blame you. Even as a union treasurer for many years I wouldn’t agree to paying Labour money.
Nice to see a 10% rise talked about for pensioners. Long overdue, as we are well behind the EU. Glad we left that project behind

Don’t blame you. Even as a union treasurer for many years I wouldn’t agree to paying Labour money.
Nice to see a 10% rise talked about for pensioners. Long overdue, as we are well behind the EU. Glad we left that project behind
Even as a labour voter I don’t necessarily feel that union subs should go to labour - unions should be progressive but not tied to a party, and Tory voters should belong in order to improve conditions for themselves and others- though obviously if they want that it doesn’t make a lot of sense to vote Tory

I read that that they are underpaid for three years as they are learning the role in that time.
It's referring to Band 6 nurses as well, which aren't just your typical bedside carer. They have a supervisory role on wards, they sort out shift timetables and other admin. They're essentially lower middle management, and you'll already have had to work your way up to that role over the course of several years.

Plus the figures quoted seem to be for staff based in London, with the wage weighting that entails.

From now on the 21st of June should be Mick Lynch Day.

Superb interviews on all platforms and refused to be dragged down rabbit holes.

The only failing was his "takedown of the rich" even though he`s on £160k a year ......... sorry Mick you are one of them too..... 🤷‍♀️

From now on the 21st of June should be Mick Lynch Day.

Superb interviews on all platforms and refused to be dragged down rabbit holes.

The only failing was his "takedown of the rich" even though he`s on £160k a year ......... sorry Mick you are one of them too..... [emoji2368]
"One of them" very much depends on what you care about and who you fight for, no?

He has proved that he is on the side of the workers and is working tirelessly to protect and/or improve their lot. A noble cause indeed, so I won't be begrudging him being paid what has employer thinks he's worth.

I can only assume you are labouring under the misapprehension that he is "one of them" from knowing the cost of everything, but the value of nothing[emoji2369]

Back
Top Bottom