Away Match Day Thread +++ 6/10/18 Southend United v OUFC +++

How can it be personal gripes, when we are bottom of the table, in the relegation places by some way and we have a manager that has failed the team. After the Sunderland game, we thought a corner had been turned, but nothing. It's everyone's fault bar his, even the training pitches came in for criticism today. This has happened week after week.
Relegation is a certainty under his "leadership," with the current win rate.
How long would you give him, with his current record? Every game that goes by is one less for a new manager to save the current inevitable relegation.
He has to go, and no, it's not personal, it's following weeks of travelling hundreds of miles week on week watching the tripe he has served up for supporters.

I think if we lose next week or it’s a poor performance with pathetic antics ala Westley esque, then I think it’s time for him to go. Next Saturday is a big game on a lot of fronts.

We nearly won today. Mousinho header right at the end. Thought it was in.

I admire your optism but Burton was one game in twelve, and Burton were awful that day, we haven’t looked dangerous in the other eleven games whether we have conceded or not.

Unfortunately even in the games we were able to shut up shop we couldn’t score, which tends to suggest that the extra defensive responsibility placed on the players further blunted our excuse for an attack.

I'm not denying that things haven't been good enough, but Burton and Sunderland showed that we can be good enough to get out of this situation. But it won't happen overnight. A point today, 3 possibly next week and we have something to build on. Browne, Carrathurs and Eastwood coming back in will help, and Holmes and Mackie can't be poor forever.

I'm not saying that we need to start looking towards the playoffs, but maybe survival might not be as unlikely as we all thought a few days ago.

Hear, hear. Was thinking along the same lines myself. Didn't see or hear the game today, and, as always I await reports from those who were there. Reports I've heard already suggest there wasn't much of a performance from either side. Our attack was still apparently toothless, but at least there were no catastrophic defensive failings and we've got a point at a bogey ground.

Next Saturday is obviously key though. Plymouth have stepped over us today, and most of our fans will be expecting an Oxford win. It would be hypocritical to change my mind about wanting Robinson gone, but no more negativity on here from me until the Plymouth match is over, and hopefully results will make criticism unnecessary in the weeks after that.
I have booed the team off many times and joined the chorus of "What a load of rubbish". However, the gaffer deserves respect and there will be no invective from me. Like so many have said today, it is frankly embarrassing. We might have few shots on goal but equally Mitchell seemed to be untroubled, apparently. Good away point. The only way is up.....literally.

I think if we lose next week or it’s a poor performance with pathetic antics ala Westley esque, then I think it’s time for him to go. Next Saturday is a big game on a lot of fronts.

For me if we don't win it should be instant P45. Even if we win KR should only be allowed a couple more games to see if he is really turning things around.

Er Southend had won The last 3 we had lost the last 4. We NEVER do well at Southend.
How can anybody suggest that a draw isn't a decent result today?

Read the comments again and understand that we are worse off at 5pm than we were at 3pm.

We got a draw but our slide hasn’t stopped has it.

Whether you think it’s a decent point or not... the slide has not stopped.

I have booed the team off many times and joined the chorus of "What a load of rubbish". However, the gaffer deserves respect and there will be no invective from me. Like so many have said today, it is frankly embarrassing.

I cant help thinking there's a bit of a contradiction there...

I wanted KR to be successful but enough is enough. This time next week may well see us still bottom of the league with a mountain to climb for safety & I now do not feel Robinson is the man to deliver. I agree yellowshark that - even if we beat Argyle - he only deserves another couple of games.I cannot see where any consistency will come from.

Read the comments again and understand that we are worse off at 5pm than we were at 3pm.

We got a draw but our slide hasn’t stopped has it.

Whether you think it’s a decent point or not... the slide has not stopped.
I actually disagree. Sure we have moved down the table. But Southend were odds on heavily to best us.
Nobody beforehand would not have taken a point (see posts before the game).
So in the whole scheme of things a draw away at Southend has to be a good result.
Teams who do manage to get over a horrendous run often start by getting a clean sheet and grabbing a decent draw.
This will be no good if we don't start getting a result but it is a start. We need to win next Saturday now and if we were to do that with Eastwood back (who if he can remain fit will be a huge boost) things may start looking up.

Why wait until next Saturday? Is anything going to magically change?
So what would you do havi g just got a decent draw?
Put in charge Derry or DF?
KR will 99% be in charge. It is now a huge game and as others have said supporters have to get behind the team big time for Saturday.

Why wait until next Saturday? Is anything going to magically change?

Maybe some of our fans will get a little sense of perspective and realise that since the turn of the century we have only finished higher than our current position 3 times. We have no rights to success and any that we get needs to be nurtured over time rather than expecting anything immediately. This season has been poor, but a tough away point and a scrappy win next week could give us the push we need. We expect the manager and players to give 100%, but maybe it's time we expected the same from our fans.

I actually disagree. Sure we have moved down the table. But Southend were odds on heavily to best us.
Nobody beforehand would not have taken a point (see posts before the game).
So in the whole scheme of things a draw away at Southend has to be a good result.
Teams who do manage to get over a horrendous run often start by getting a clean sheet and grabbing a decent draw.
This will be no good if we don't start getting a result but it is a start. We need to win next Saturday now and if we were to do that with Eastwood back (who if he can remain fit will be a huge boost) things may start looking up.

Well I can’t disagree with that.

I think the majority on here agreed that Sunderland was a great result and expected this to give us a boost and kick on. Sadly that was a false dawn.

Today may be considered a decent point but in the grand scheme of things it hasn’t helped us because of results around us and we have dropped a place.

Whether we can turn it into a decent run of form, starting against Plymouth, remains to be seen

I disagree that the slide has stopped until we move north rather than south.

Let’s hope it starts next Saturday ?

Dear KR

We are supposed to be a professional football team, not a charity ! Getting a point against a mid table team and keeping a clean sheet is not something we should be " encouraged " by while sitting at the bottom of the league. Surely unless we are a team who realistically can get 3 points (not just happy with 1point) then we are really in the sht. Accepting a point today (to put us down a place) is basically saying we are truly awful and happy not to lose.

There is no point blaming missing players due to injury (all clubs have them) and saying it will be all milk and honey when they return is a pipe dream, We need a team playing as one not individual players.

Its up to you to sort this out and very quickly.

My suggestion would be to bench Obika for the season and start building a winning team (OUR team)

a few more 0 or 1 pointers and its a trip up the A420 for us all next year.

Whatever happens : COYY !!!!!!!

Last edited:
I watched the 2nd half. We were the better team. Southend didn't have a shot on goal that I can remember. Holmes should have scored a header. Mousinho should have scored right at the end. Was a bit unlucky. And I think from the corner we had a shot kicked off the line. We played well. No nonsense defending playing longer balls down the sides. Our midfield seemed to win all the 2nd balls for a change. Couldn't tell that Southend are near the top and were bottom.

Maybe some of our fans will get a little sense of perspective and realise that since the turn of the century we have only finished higher than our current position 3 times. .

As maybe, but for the first quarter of this season the only direction has been down, and we can go down no further only because we are at the bottom. I can't think of a sane perspective that doesn't lead to the conclusion that radical change is urgently needed.

We have no rights to success and any that we get needs to be nurtured over time rather than expecting anything immediately.

The problem being that not only can I see few few signs of nurturing (although we have had a good record in the past) there's b****r all signs of anything that can be remotely described as resembling success.

This season has been poor, .

I'm with you on that one.

but a tough away point and a scrappy win next week could give us the push we need. .

We're in a position where the best we can hope for is a scrappy home win against the second bottom of the table. Is that a cause for optimism?

We expect the manager and players to give 100%, but maybe it's time we expected the same from our fans.

If I gave an honest response to that, I'd be kicked of this forum.

A lot of people on here said Maynard was rubbish.
He still might be... 14 months ago people could have seen Gino scoring a goal on his debut... hardly meant that he was the next great goal scoring striker!! :)

As maybe, but for the first quarter of this season the only direction has been down, and we can go down no further only because we are at the bottom. I can't think of a sane perspective that doesn't lead to the conclusion that radical change is urgently needed.

The problem being that not only can I see few few signs of nurturing (although we have had a good record in the past) there's b****r all signs of anything that can be remotely described as resembling success.

I'm with you on that one.

We're in a position where the best we can hope for is a scrappy home win against the second bottom of the table. Is that a cause for optimism?

If I gave an honest response to that, I'd be kicked of this forum.

A win is a win, and a scrappy one next week will be very welcome considering our position, as a dull draw today is at least a step in the right direction.

As for our fans, the point is that 15 out of the last 18 seasons have seen us in a worst league position. Of course we've started badly, but I didn't throw the towel in with MApp and I won't with Robinson either. We expect the players and manager to give everything but seemingly our fans can give up at the first sign of a problem.

Back
Top Bottom