Home Match Day Thread +++ 16/02/2019 OUFC v Peterborough United Matchday Thread +++

There is an incredible amount of naivety on here from some people regarding the fact we are playing teams lower down the table.

Regardless of where teams are in the table we still need to score to beat them, at what stage this season and against who have we looked like scoring regularly?

As soon as a team work out you aren’t going to hurt them they are able to commit more forward, this is turn causes our problematic defence to come under more pressure increasing the chances of us conceding.

What have people seen so far to Suggest the above isn’t going to happen?

I don’t buy it when people claim a draw at home to Sunderland is a good result and something to take heart from, since then they’ve not beaten Blackpool and Accrington at home so If you take the name Sunderland out of the equation is it really that impressive?

The club haven’t managed to address any of the issues that were apparent after the opening game of the season.

I accept it is difficult to sign a centre toward during Jan, but why haven’t they done anything about the back 4?

We don’t currently have a full back either side that is deemed good enough, we also only have Nelson who is of sufficient standard at centre half.

How has he been able to get away with signing the Algerian bloke to play in midfield (who doesn’t look good enough) rather than put Ruffels in there who has been more than capable and sign a left back?

If Garbutt has always been a left winger as he claimed recently, why did the clown sign him as a left back? Why play him as a left back?

Put players in their correct position and you give yourself half a chance of being successful.

Find me another team in League 1 (or any league) who is consistently playing people out of position more than Robinson is......

Surely, the most obvious thing to do, is go back to basics and play 442 and at least give us a chance of success with players in the positions they play.

Eastwood

Long Nelson Mousinho Garbutt

Graham Ruffels Branagan Browne

Sinclair. Smith

Subs

Mackie
Henry
Dickie
Whyte
carruthers
Hanson
Etc etc

Two up front is a must just to occupy their back 4 and try and get them on the back foot.

This would at least give the team half a chance of scoring some goals.
Are you seriously suggesting that we drop Mackie, Henry and Whyte in order to create some Mike Bassett inspired 442? There has been some rubbish on here, but this takes the pissing cake!!!

Garbutt looked poor, Ruffels has been more than steady. Mous has held our midfield together and allowed Brannaghan to have a far greater influence. Absolute joke of a post!!!

Looking at the height of him I would suggest Brannigan marking him would be a joke, it looked like the ball was going to be put into the box, so common sense would say one of the central defenders or someone tall. If you think putting Brannigan, our shortest player, against him in a potential header situation is a good idea then ...... well that’s probably why I’m not a manager because I would put someone against him who would actually have a chance !!!!

Central defenders were marking their opposite numbers, we’re not exactly blessed with height elsewhere. I think he was Ruffels man, or at least should have been!

There is an incredible amount of naivety on here from some people regarding the fact we are playing teams lower down the table.

Regardless of where teams are in the table we still need to score to beat them, at what stage this season and against who have we looked like scoring regularly?

As soon as a team work out you aren’t going to hurt them they are able to commit more forward, this is turn causes our problematic defence to come under more pressure increasing the chances of us conceding.

I don’t buy it when people claim a draw at home to Sunderland is a good result and something to take heart from, since then they’ve not beaten Blackpool and Accrington at home so If you take the name Sunderland out of the equation is it really that impressive?

The club haven’t managed to address any of the issues that were apparent after the opening game of the season.

I accept it is difficult to sign a centre toward during Jan, but why haven’t they done anything about the back 4?

We don’t currently have a full back either side that is deemed good enough, we also only have Nelson who is of sufficient standard at centre half.

How has he been able to get away with signing the Algerian bloke to play in midfield (who doesn’t look good enough) rather than put Ruffels in there who has been more than capable and sign a left back?

If Garbutt has always been a left winger as he claimed recently, why did the clown sign him as a left back? Why play him as a left back?

Put players in their correct position and you give yourself half a chance of being successful.

Find me another team in League 1 (or any league) who is consistently playing people out of position more than Robinson is......

Surely, the most obvious thing to do, is go back to basics and play 442 and at least give us a chance of success with players in the positions they play.

Eastwood

Sinclair. Smith

Subs

Mackie
Henry
Dickie
Whyte
carruthers
Hanson
Etc etc

Two up front is a must just to occupy their back 4 and try and get them on the back foot.

You question why KR has played Garbutt at left back yet include him in your team in that very same position !!!

It looked to me as though Nelson was Toney’s marker. Or should have been. As has been said elsewhere, if that had been Dickie....

I noticed Ruffels was marking Toney for at least one of their corners. Who knows what happened for their goal in terms of marking responsibility, our players were all busy complaining about the free kick, Posh took advantage, got on with the game and as a result scored.

Beyond the dreadfully conceded goal though, you have to ask yourself, did we really look like we were going to Get back into it?
The whole game came and went with a huff and a puff but no end product.
It is not the end of the world, but we just have to win more games, create more. Attack wholeheartedly, f*****g shoot more FFS. Graham beats his man, looks up to find... No-one to pass/cross to. Whyte at times too. Unless we commit to more shots on goal we are going down guys.☹️

Beyond the dreadfully conceded goal though, you have to ask yourself, did we really look like we were going to Get back into it?
The whole game came and went with a huff and a puff but no end product.
It is not the end of the world, but we just have to win more games, create more. Attack wholeheartedly, f*g shoot more FFS. Graham beats his man, looks up to find... No-one to pass/cross to. Whyte at times too. Unless we commit to more shots on goal we are going down guys.☹

We rarely get a lot of bodies in the box from open play, so the crosses need to be pinpoint to have a chance of success. Robinson seems to hate the idea of going two up top even at the end of games, which limits the amount of bodies we get in the box.

We have the joint lowest amount of wins this season for a reason, I wouldn’t say Robinson is a negative manager but I would say that he is overly cautious, also reflected in his dire away record. We need wins now so he is going to need to be braver.

WE have only one attacking option. Get it wide and cross it. Unfortunately since we don't have anything even vaguely approaching a forward that fails miserably (as yesterday).
The lack of anything even vaguely creative on a consistent basis in midfield mean that there is no plan B.

Central defenders were marking their opposite numbers, we’re not exactly blessed with height elsewhere. I think he was Ruffels man, or at least should have been!
With his height then Mous would have the man, and somebody or anybody should have gone with him, he is their top scorer, the main threat surely

I haven’t seen a replay of the goal on tv yet, but ..... I have criticised our defence a number of times this season, they are not good enough but from the Oxford mail stand I could see their player make a move for the goal
From where I was it took shocking defending to a lower depth than I thought possible
An 18 goal striker, well 19 now to be given the run of the penalty area horrendous
Whoever was making him should have come out on rad ox and apologied
This was a poor game and had nil nil all over it
We could still be playing now and not have scored but to give a goal away like that is a disgrace
And for a crowd of over 6.000 the atmosphere was poor, very poor, atmosphere can be generated by the team, little sign of that yesterday, and then by the crowd itself, there was little forthcoming, a combination of the treatment of the Ultras, the board, the manager, the tactics, the players attitude, the stadium all these contributed to a lacklustre attitude within the crowd yesterday
As Jerome said on R Ox when driving home.
"The toxic relationship between the club and stadco has to stop right now." Its a massive negative and its contributing to all thats wrong at the moment!

Eastwood

Sinclair. Smith

Subs

Mackie
Henry
Dickie
Whyte
carruthers
Hanson
Etc etc

4 4 2 is worth a go. But not that line up.

I can only go by what I saw in the ground today and outside of it, and some people were doom mongering when they got to their seat. Today was not great, but then again, neither was last week, but listening to the talk and as much as I could tolerate of Rad Ox, it was surprising to hear.

And we have come through a set of game where I quote a number of fans, "we won't get a point against those teams" and yet we did. The recent run of games was very tough, the next set of games are more reasonable - we play teams around us, so have our destiny firmly in our hands.

So the reason I am telling people to stop being whiny bitches and calm down is that they need to engage their brains and realise we've played teams in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th , 10th and 12th so far this year and lost once. Take a look at the below and we play each team this season apart from Plymouth and Southend. So yeah, stop being whiny bitches and man upView attachment 1144

And Jesus wept?

WE have only one attacking option. Get it wide and cross it. Unfortunately since we don't have anything even vaguely approaching a forward that fails miserably (as yesterday).
The lack of anything even vaguely creative on a consistent basis in midfield mean that there is no plan B.

KR has been alluding to wanting to see more goals from Brannigan in recent weeks. I think it's fair to say that our midfield (barring Henry and even he isn't at the levels we have seen from him earlier in the season at the moment) haven't chipped in with enough goals.

@Shosho had it right in one of their earlier posts. If we don't have anyone to cross it into in the box, knock the ball back to the edge of the area where we should have players lining up to hit a shot from 20 yards. We don't have the squad to have the burly hitman heading goals in so we've got to create chances in other ways.

KR's thinking does seem muddled here. He wants goals from Brannigan and yet asks JG to swing in crosses. I don't think we're the sort of side that can deliver both of those methods of goals at present.

Seeing the ‘highlights’ it looks like Toney was Brannigan’s man for their goal, as he was for Toney’s missed header in the first half.

However why Brannagan is expected to mark Toney at free kicks is another matter altogether!

4 4 2 is worth a go. But not that line up.

It was just an example line up, something along those lines.

What is for sure though, is that we aren't able to win with the current line up an system and rarely do we look a threat.....is this going to change if we carry on the same way?

Not in my opinion.

If you keep doing the same thing and expect different results you are stupid, at the moment it looks like this is how we are going to see out the season, and if that is allowed to happen then they deserve to go down.

It was just an example line up, something along those lines.

What is for sure though, is that we aren't able to win with the current line up an system and rarely do we look a threat.....is this going to change if we carry on the same way?

Not in my opinion.

If you keep doing the same thing and expect different results you are stupid, at the moment it looks like this is how we are going to see out the season, and if that is allowed to happen then they deserve to go down.
The same set up saw us go 2 up against both Portsmouth and Barnsley. Against Fleetwood, Burton and Sunderland we also created numerous chances. So we have scored and looked a threat in most of our recent games.

The same set up saw us go 2 up against both Portsmouth and Barnsley. Against Fleetwood, Burton and Sunderland we also created numerous chances. So we have scored and looked a threat in most of our recent games.

But we aren't winning games, and that, is all that matters.

So what do you suggest? Carry on doing the same as we have done in the games we haven't won? It hasn't worked all season, there's nothing to suggest that its going to change before he end of the season

But we aren't winning games, and that, is all that matters.

So what do you suggest? Carry on doing the same as we have done in the games we haven't won? It hasn't worked all season, there's nothing to suggest that its going to change before he end of the season
There is everything to suggest it will change, because it did before Christmas!

This negative crap is getting boring. We want our players and manager to tough it out but you and so many others on here have given up.

Looking at the height of him I would suggest Brannigan marking him would be a joke, it looked like the ball was going to be put into the box, so common sense would say one of the central defenders or someone tall. If you think putting Brannigan, our shortest player, against him in a potential header situation is a good idea then ...... well that’s probably why I’m not a manager because I would put someone against him who would actually have a chance !!!!
I’d suggest Toney was Nelson man as he was the one seemingly on him all first half.

Back
Top Bottom