Home Match Day Thread +++ 16/02/2019 OUFC v Peterborough United Matchday Thread +++

Cheer up everyone, at least we can look forward to beating the scum twice next season.............on second thoughts!!!

I agree we were as good as Peterborough in many departments. But then I thought they were very poor as well (and had got one point from their previous 3 games)! What they did have was someone who looked capable of putting the ball in the net - even if it took him two golden chances to do so.
Sorry, but ifs and buts are exactly why teams get relegated. In two of those matches we threw away leads and in one we were playing against 10 men. That's not divine intervention - it's because we aren't that good.
But there are 9 teams within five points of each other scrapping not to be in three relegation places (if you accept that as they are 7 points adrift Wimbledon are the most likely candidates to occupy one of the four places). There is every chance we can be one of the six that don't go down - but it will be tight.

In one of those games we threw away a lead. And yes it’s ifs and buts that demote teams and this is exactly why teams that “are too good to go down” get relegated.
Not saying we are too good to go down but have seen enough to suggest we are not one of the four worst teams in this league.
We’ve got some massive “6 pointers” coming up and need to do better than we have against these “relegation rivals” than we have so far this season but I’ll say it again, I think we will be safe before Luton away.

Look kids...I am 72, been a supporter since the 60's. Now resident is that place at the wrong end of the 420. Due to arthiritis and heart probs I cannot get to many games. However I ventured today boosted by the reports of our resurgence againt S'land. All I can say is new owner, + new manager + new players = same shite as previous seasons. I am beginning to think that this talk of a gypsy's curse might just have some fact in reality. Jog on chaps......

I can only go by what I saw in the ground today and outside of it, and some people were doom mongering when they got to their seat. Today was not great, but then again, neither was last week, but listening to the talk and as much as I could tolerate of Rad Ox, it was surprising to hear.

And we have come through a set of game where I quote a number of fans, "we won't get a point against those teams" and yet we did. The recent run of games was very tough, the next set of games are more reasonable - we play teams around us, so have our destiny firmly in our hands.

So the reason I am telling people to stop being whiny bitches and calm down is that they need to engage their brains and realise we've played teams in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th , 10th and 12th so far this year and lost once. Take a look at the below and we play each team this season apart from Plymouth and Southend. So yeah, stop being whiny bitches and man upView attachment 1144

You have completely missed the point. And you also forgot Bristol Rovers.

Plymouth = lost
Southend = lost
Bristol R = lost

We haven’t done well against teams around us.... the fact that we have many of them still to play is something to be very concerned about.

It might well be in our hands but we don’t seem to have the stomach for a fight.

You have completely missed the point. And you also forgot Bristol Rovers.

Plymouth = lost
Southend = lost
Bristol R = lost

We haven’t done well against teams around us.... the fact that we have many of them still to play is something to be very concerned about.

It might well be in our hands but we don’t seem to have the stomach for a fight.

Although I think we are better now than we were then. Believe ?

We weren’t terrible today but seemed tired and dozy, maybe a bit complacent. The game could have gone either way right until they scored and we shouldn’t be downhearted, but need to play every remaining game the way we did against Sunderland. I thought Peterborough were more formidable than Portsmouth or Sunderland and Maddison is the best player we’ve faced this season

I haven’t seen a replay of the goal on tv yet, but ..... I have criticised our defence a number of times this season, they are not good enough but from the Oxford mail stand I could see their player make a move for the goal
From where I was it took shocking defending to a lower depth than I thought possible
An 18 goal striker, well 19 now to be given the run of the penalty area horrendous
Whoever was making him should have come out on rad ox and apologied
This was a poor game and had nil nil all over it
We could still be playing now and not have scored but to give a goal away like that is a disgrace
And for a crowd of over 6.000 the atmosphere was poor, very poor, atmosphere can be generated by the team, little sign of that yesterday, and then by the crowd itself, there was little forthcoming, a combination of the treatment of the Ultras, the board, the manager, the tactics, the players attitude, the stadium all these contributed to a lacklustre attitude within the crowd yesterday

I haven’t seen a replay of the goal on tv yet, but ..... I have criticised our defence a number of times this season, they are not good enough but from the Oxford mail stand I could see their player make a move for the goal
From where I was it took shocking defending to a lower depth than I thought possible
An 18 goal striker, well 19 now to be given the run of the penalty area horrendous
Whoever was making him should have come out on rad ox and apologied
This was a poor game and had nil nil all over it
We could still be playing now and not have scored but to give a goal away like that is a disgrace
And for a crowd of over 6.000 the atmosphere was poor, very poor, atmosphere can be generated by the team, little sign of that yesterday, and then by the crowd itself, there was little forthcoming, a combination of the treatment of the Ultras, the board, the manager, the tactics, the players attitude, the stadium all these contributed to a lacklustre attitude within the crowd yesterday

I thinks that’s a bit far, however watching g it back it was clearly Ruffels or Brannigans man. If that was Hanson or Dickie they would have been getting dogs abuse.

There is an incredible amount of naivety on here from some people regarding the fact we are playing teams lower down the table.

Regardless of where teams are in the table we still need to score to beat them, at what stage this season and against who have we looked like scoring regularly?

As soon as a team work out you aren’t going to hurt them they are able to commit more forward, this is turn causes our problematic defence to come under more pressure increasing the chances of us conceding.

What have people seen so far to Suggest the above isn’t going to happen?

I don’t buy it when people claim a draw at home to Sunderland is a good result and something to take heart from, since then they’ve not beaten Blackpool and Accrington at home so If you take the name Sunderland out of the equation is it really that impressive?

The club haven’t managed to address any of the issues that were apparent after the opening game of the season.

I accept it is difficult to sign a centre toward during Jan, but why haven’t they done anything about the back 4?

We don’t currently have a full back either side that is deemed good enough, we also only have Nelson who is of sufficient standard at centre half.

How has he been able to get away with signing the Algerian bloke to play in midfield (who doesn’t look good enough) rather than put Ruffels in there who has been more than capable and sign a left back?

If Garbutt has always been a left winger as he claimed recently, why did the clown sign him as a left back? Why play him as a left back?

Put players in their correct position and you give yourself half a chance of being successful.

Find me another team in League 1 (or any league) who is consistently playing people out of position more than Robinson is......

Surely, the most obvious thing to do, is go back to basics and play 442 and at least give us a chance of success with players in the positions they play.

Eastwood

Long Nelson Mousinho Garbutt

Graham Ruffels Branagan Browne

Sinclair. Smith

Subs

Mackie
Henry
Dickie
Whyte
carruthers
Hanson
Etc etc

Two up front is a must just to occupy their back 4 and try and get them on the back foot.

This would at least give the team half a chance of scoring some goals.

It is concerning that the players seem to struggle to motivate themselves when it's not a 'big' game. Yesterday's performance was embarrassingly lacklustre given what they've shown they can do against Sunderland, Portsmouth etc. If they're not motivated yet by the fact we're deep in a relegation battle then I'm not sure they'll ever be.

I thinks that’s a bit far, however watching g it back it was clearly Ruffels or Brannigans man. If that was Hanson or Dickie they would have been getting dogs abuse.
Looking at the height of him I would suggest Brannigan marking him would be a joke, it looked like the ball was going to be put into the box, so common sense would say one of the central defenders or someone tall. If you think putting Brannigan, our shortest player, against him in a potential header situation is a good idea then ...... well that’s probably why I’m not a manager because I would put someone against him who would actually have a chance !!!!

More dreadful management decisions. (Rough ‘em up) Mackie should have started. Bring on the Sinclair pace on 65 minutes when they’re tiring. Browne for Henry? Really? Is that a role he can play?! Carruthers is surely that replacement?? Give Carruthers 5 minutes?! Wonderful! No tactical awareness AGAIN. This manager is being consistently out-thought. He is incredibly lucky we have a clueless owner the other side of the world. Anyone with their finger on the pulse would have had him out at Christmas. Or before.

Looking at the height of him I would suggest Brannigan marking him would be a joke, it looked like the ball was going to be put into the box, so common sense would say one of the central defenders or someone tall. If you think putting Brannigan, our shortest player, against him in a potential header situation is a good idea then ...... well that’s probably why I’m not a manager because I would put someone against him who would actually have a chance !!!!
It looked to me as though Nelson was Toney’s marker. Or should have been. As has been said elsewhere, if that had been Dickie....

Back
Top Bottom