Home Match Day Thread +++ 16/02/2019 OUFC v Peterborough United Matchday Thread +++

There is everything to suggest it will change, because it did before Christmas!

This negative crap is getting boring. We want our players and manager to tough it out but you and so many others on here have given up.

It didn't change really though did it....we went on an ok run mainly getting wings in cup games or against lower division sides, those results don't keep you up. The results that did matter in the league during this "good" run everyone refers to failed to move us clear of the bottom 4.

So ill disagree, i haven't seen anything this season that suggests results will change and see the team pull away from the bottom 4 under the current system and manager.

To say I've given up is ridiculous, if i had given up id not care what system they were playing.

You could argue that just accepting this is they way they play despite it not working is more akin to giving up, at least by making a change and trying different things they are trying to improve.

The reason a lot of people have negative things to say is because the results have been poor and there is a lot to improve on, you can't expect people to come on here and say how great things are when that is patently utrue.

For me the reason we are speculating who was supposed Toney is that we were as so often not set. Players arguing about the free kick instead on getting set. Added to which we don't seem to allocate someone to do the sh*se stuff of a player standing in front of the ball till were set or until the ref gets uncomfortable with it. Almost all other teams so it to us but we don't seem to learn how useful it is to set.

It didn't change really though did it....we went on an ok run mainly getting wings in cup games or against lower division sides, those results don't keep you up. The results that did matter in the league during this "good" run everyone refers to failed to move us clear of the bottom 4.

So ill disagree, i haven't seen anything this season that suggests results will change and see the team pull away from the bottom 4 under the current system and manager.

To say I've given up is ridiculous, if i had given up id not care what system they were playing.

You could argue that just accepting this is they way they play despite it not working is more akin to giving up, at least by making a change and trying different things they are trying to improve.

The reason a lot of people have negative things to say is because the results have been poor and there is a lot to improve on, you can't expect people to come on here and say how great things are when that is patently utrue.

I know I'm leaving myself open for being called a stalker, but I looked through your posts. Up until the Luton game, lots of negative posts and wanting Robinson out. After that, the club went on a decent run. Even include the Christmas dip and a run of draws, we've averaged 1.33 points a game over the last 21. That upper middle table performance for half a season with a bare squad and injuries. But during this upturn, you barely posted. Not exactly balanced is it?

We've now got a fairly settled squad with more depth, able to rotate and adapt. Sunderland was an example where all 3 subs combined for our goal. If you take our 5 games against Fleetwood, Portsmouth, Barnsley, Sunderland and Peterborough, most people were predicting no points and plenty of goals conceded. Instead we picked up 6 and an even goal difference. That is a massive difference and one that will help us move up the table.

So you can whinge and whine as much as you like. You'll even get the usual doom mongers liking your posts but in the end it counts for nothing. I'd rather look at the possibility of gaining 42 points, starting on Tuesday. If that is pie in the sky, then so be it. I'd rather live with hope and enjoy the journey, than live in the despair that many of you seem to relish.

I know I'm leaving myself open for being called a stalker, but I looked through your posts. Up until the Luton game, lots of negative posts and wanting Robinson out. After that, the club went on a decent run. Even include the Christmas dip and a run of draws, we've averaged 1.33 points a game over the last 21. That upper middle table performance for half a season with a bare squad and injuries. But during this upturn, you barely posted. Not exactly balanced is it?

We've now got a fairly settled squad with more depth, able to rotate and adapt. Sunderland was an example where all 3 subs combined for our goal. If you take our 5 games against Fleetwood, Portsmouth, Barnsley, Sunderland and Peterborough, most people were predicting no points and plenty of goals conceded. Instead we picked up 6 and an even goal difference. That is a massive difference and one that will help us move up the table.

So you can whinge and whine as much as you like. You'll even get the usual doom mongers liking your posts but in the end it counts for nothing. I'd rather look at the possibility of gaining 42 points, starting on Tuesday. If that is pie in the sky, then so be it. I'd rather live with hope and enjoy the journey, than live in the despair that many of you seem to relish.
Fair play for trying to sound a positive note, but despite getting 1.33 points a game on average over the last 21 games we are still in the relegation zone. You just sound complacent.
I'll be at Accrington urging us on to a first away win, but things are not right at managerial and board level, and are at best sporadic on the pitch...rose-tinted specs or raybans, the table does not lie.

For me the reason we are speculating who was supposed Toney is that we were as so often not set. Players arguing about the free kick instead on getting set. Added to which we don't seem to allocate someone to do the sh*se stuff of a player standing in front of the ball till were set or until the ref gets uncomfortable with it. Almost all other teams so it to us but we don't seem to learn how useful it is to set.
We’re generally too nice all over the pitch. It’s useful to be able to niggle and use gamesmanship (NOT cheating). We get bullied far too often - and I don’t always mean by the bigger boys in the playground. For those supporters who moaned that we didn’t get three penalties: why weren’t OUR players bullying the referee into giving one? Peterborough would have, for sure.

I’d suggest Toney was Nelson man as he was the one seemingly on him all first half.

Nelson & Dickie were marking their opposite centre halves at free kicks and corners as they did against Sunderland when Nelson lost his man when we conceded at a corner.

In open play Toney deliberately positioned himself between Nelson and Hanson, dragging Nelson across. Although Nelson is a fine footballer he’s not that great in the air in my view.

As an aside I actually feel a little bit sorry for Dickie, he’s being asked to play on the left hand side of the defence where he plainly doesn’t look comfortable, whereas Nelson (who is a much better footballer & thus more adaptable) gets to stay on his preferred right hand side.

It sounds like I’m having a dig at Nelson which I’m not! Just think Dickie gets some unfair criticism at times.

We’re generally too nice all over the pitch. It’s useful to be able to niggle and use gamesmanship (NOT cheating). We get bullied far too often - and I don’t always mean by the bigger boys in the playground. For those supporters who moaned that we didn’t get three penalties: why weren’t OUR players bullying the referee into giving one? Peterborough would have, for sure.
There were a couple of occasions yesterday where Gav Whyte could have worked the full back over, but he understandably wanted to keep on playing.

As a club, we've been far too honest for too many years, and it really pisses me off. We need to be better at the nasty side of the game

Picking up 6 points every 5 games puts us around 49/50 points. Is that enough?

Back
Top Bottom