Away Match Day Thread +++ 3/11/2018 Scunthorpe United v OUFC +++

As a team I think there are definite signs of improvement, obviously it’s a disappointing result today and yes two points dropped etc etc, but these things do happen occasionally. If we win the next league game, that will be 7 unbeaten, 3 wins and 4 draws which is decent.

I just hope we use that crazy six minutes as a motivator. Not got a league game for two weeks so hoping we at least regain confidence against FGR next weekend.

All our loan signings are fit except carruthers.
Well, fit enough to get on the pitch but Mackie, Holmes and Browne are nowhere near 100%, probably nowhere near 80% and certainly not on a consistent basis. Sounded like we were running on empty for the last quarter of the game from the radio commentary, both those who are fit and those who aren't.

Too many fouls near the goal and corners given away today.

All our loan signings are fit except carruthers.
Most of them apart from Garbutt have issues. Mackie (hip) Browne (knee) Holmes (back) which has kept them out for a lot of games. All those problems mean that they rarely play at 100%. Smith seems fit but isn’t good enough nor apparently is Garbutt who looked the most promising pre season.

Ok I have only just tuned in so I'm not as emotionally compromised as someone who had to sit through that 6 minute spell, and I feel that I can make something of an objective observation. Obviously unbelievably disappointing, but I would argue that the fact that we were 3-0 up says much more about us as a team than one freak 6 minute spell. Those spells happen occasionally in football and are brilliant/disappointing, but don't ultimately mean much. Look at us at Charlton last year - freakishly good stoppage time for us, and then we went on our worst run of the season. Let's continue the good run at home in a couple of weeks time. We keep building.
Someone that can see through the fog

Hard to get my head around today. Had we gone 3-0 down and drawn three all in similar fashion we would have been praised. I’m sure we would have been happy with 3-3 before the game but we have to take credit for our first half performance. Still can’t help gpfeeling let down by such a capitulation.
Despite taking ten points from eighteen we are still two points from safety

Hard to get my head around today. Had we gone 3-0 down and drawn three all in similar fashion we would have been praised. I’m sure we would have been happy with 3-3 before the game but we have to take credit for our first half performance. Still can’t help gpfeeling let down by such a capitulation.
Despite taking ten points from eighteen we are still two points from safety
Remember United 4 Ipswich 3.....Terry Butcher and all. It happens.

• React
Reactions: Ian
There were two key moments in this game that screwed us over and we could've easily prevented them.
1. Rob Dickie's early yellow card which was easily avoidable [again] and he didn't need to grab hold of the keeper like that now this may not seem like a game changing moment but a centreback on a yellow means they can't go into 50/50 balls and just have to stand off there man and defend the space which mean't he was now an easy target to gain yards because he has to stand off you to avoid a sending off.

2. The 1st goal nobody used there initiative to kill the momentum they were building, we see it all the time when we get going a opposition player will drop to the floor to slow down play. Why didn't a player do that? Forexample Henry had a knock he should gone down got treatment and stopped them from building momentum because they wanted to restart ASAP.

Robinson needs to sort his subs out they are so predictable and make us one dimensional. Every game it's Holmes off for Browne or vice versa and Hanson on Henry. Why doesn't he try something different if he hasn't got faith on Smith. Mackie was finished by the time there second went in. He should've been brought off. He could've easily moved Whyte uptop and kept Holmes on [who is a game winner]

Just some mistakes
Dickie yellow card foolish
Brannigan too many fouls in games
Their first goal we must have switched off how could we let the short ish corner go without an Oxford player anywhere near
It then went through so many players and nobody gets a block in
Their 3rd goal so many players in our box but we don’t clear the call or close their player down, just ball watching
I will say again our defence in very average
We have be very lucky in the last 5 games before yesterday, to have given away so few goals, we make numerous mistakes in defence and haven’t been punished yesterday we were
Hanson needs to wake up on the pitch, concentrate and ‘man up’

2 points lost, even tho with haven’t conceded too many goals lately I have felt we have made mistakes in defence but have got away with it, today we were found out, we give away too many corners and free kicks in dangerous places and today we were punished
Gutted tho

Absolutely spot on.

We don’t defend set pieces very well. So stop giving them away needlessly!

Funny Robinson says he knows what’s wrong but let’s see. We need a couple of good strikers for sure but it’s conceded goals that we must sort out. We have good players but together there’s something missing.
It’s like we put all the ingredients into our cake but forgot the sugar!

Look back at this season and most of our goals against are conceded through set pieces. We just haven't been great at defending them.

In terms of the January transfers, as well as the striker(s), id be very surprised if a new centre-half doesn't come in.

Last edited:
  • React
Reactions: Ian
Just some mistakes
Dickie yellow card foolish
Brannigan too many fouls in games
Their first goal we must have switched off how could we let the short ish corner go without an Oxford player anywhere near
It then went through so many players and nobody gets a block in
Their 3rd goal so many players in our box but we don’t clear the call or close their player down, just ball watching
We have be very lucky in the last 5 games before yesterday, to have given away so few goals, we make numerous mistakes in defence and haven’t been punished yesterday we were
No disrespect but are you saying that the fact we only conceeded from a penalty in 5 games was down to sheer luck? There has been some brilliant defending over the last few games. Yesterday was a let down and I'm hoping a one off.

I think we are better with NORMAN. More attacking options and for me he was the best player in early season. KR needs to make peace.

Mous has been better in midfield than in defence but I would drop him back into CB and move Dickie to LB, bringing back Norman into RM. Henry plays slightly more central with Holmes and Branagan. Whyte moves to inside right and we have Mackie up front making space for the midfield. After 55-60 minutes, to make sure they remain match fit you have to take off Holmes and Mackie. Too many times this year KR has left them on too long. Replace with Browne and Smith/Granger - look at the bench yesterday. Seriously weak of attacking options. When Browne is fit he has to start - probably replacing Branagan, who then comes on to replace Holmes early second half. Simple and miles more options in midfield.

Big disappointment but being pragmatic, at 3-0 KR says "just continue what you are doing", same at 3-1 and even the same at 3-2. At 3-3 he knows it has gone tits up in a mad 7 minutes and he must be thinking that @50 mins we were the better team by 3 goals, so just continue what are doing. Not sure would have done anything differently, but he is always too slow to bring on impact subs, who end up being asked to perform miracles with just 10 minutes. Everyone else seems to see when a player is out on his feet and has nothing more to give, except our Karl.

The sports psychologist, in the first week of his job and having only introduced his first words of encouragement at half time must already be a broken man, and rumour has it is the most recent addition to our infirm, having been last seen foaming at the mouth, being ambulanced under restraint, mumbling incoherently about Blackpool illuminations and Tower. I feel for him.

Whatever happens from here, I beg never again to be subjected to another 35 minutes of second half pain like that. It reminded me of being hammered every week in L2. For once, sods law, yellow player worked flawlesssly throughout the entire pantomine :-(

Just some mistakes
The defence is one of the best in the league from open play but at set pieces one of the worst.

Back
Top Bottom