Away Match Build Up 29/01/2022 L1: Gillingham v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stevens
Long McNally Moore Seddon
Sykes Brannagan McGuane
Bodin Taylor Williams

Subs - Eastwood, Mousinho, Forde, Henry, Holland, Winnall, Whyte​

Stevens; Moore, Long, McNally; Williams, Sykes, Brannagan, McGuane, Seddon; Taylor, Winnall.

I'd also say it's disappointing, and would have hoped/expected 1,000+ would travel.

That said there's a small amount of mitigation in that Gillingham is not as close a trip as people imagine, it's a horrible drive right round the M25, so journey time is probably similar to one of the northern teams. Also, when you get there it's a pretty s**t day out, a lack of decent pubs, parking is difficult, and then there's the scaffolding. Added to that the fact that no sales on the day are available, and I think each one of those things has a small effect that makes the difference between 1,000 and the 750 that we're likely to end up taking. We've also played them a lot, so there's no novelty factor.

As I say, poor, but there are reasons that partly explain it.
Makes no sense for there to be no sales on the day. That scaffolding can hold quite a few. Don't football clubs want to make money (or more accurately keep their losses a bit lower). And would they really turn people away who don't have a ticket?
Also we have a couple of hundred seats on the side under cover. I left it nearly a week to get tickets for me and my mates after they went on sale fully expecting the side to be sold out. It wasn't so I don't think the excuse about being stuck out in the open exposed to the elements is necessary a valid one.
True it isn't the best place for pubs but I've been to some at least half decent ones there over the years.

The whole no sales on the day this season is so stupid with late postponements of games, fans & family getting covid etc.

^^ this probably put a lot of folk off. No valid reason for it.

Aside from that Priestfield is one of those grounds you go to once just to tick it off and never bother again.

^^ this probably put a lot of folk off. No valid reason for it.

Aside from that Priestfield is one of those grounds you go to once just to tick it off and never bother again.
Problem with that is - if all the 586 or so fans who have bought tickets so far did precisely what you have said in your post (and I bet a great many of them have been to Gillingham several times plus before) we would have around 50 in the away end and for a side who deserve a fullish end tomorrow this would be a really sorry show...and believe me I've been to many over the years!

COYY'S

Anyone who's been to Gillingham a few times won't be surprised that sales are so low, worst away day in this league.

For those of us who can no longer trust the postal service and don't live near to Grenoble Road, I've just spoken to the Ticket Office and if you have elected to pick up your ticket at Priestfield, they will be waiting for you at the away turnstiles.

Stevens
Long Moore McNally Seddon
McGuane Brannigan
Sykes Bodin Holland
Taylor

Or

Stevens
McNally Moore Long
Sykes McGuane Brannigan Seddon
Bodin
Taylor Winnall​

In addition to the reasons already mentioned, this game is in the middle of some much bigger and more attractive games Wycombe, Sheffield Wed, Portsmouth, Bolton, Charlton. If there is one game you are going to miss out of all those in a 6 week period it would be Gillingham.

I know it's late but does anybody have a spare ticket for tomorrow behind the goal? Many thanks in advance 👍

In addition to the reasons already mentioned, this game is in the middle of some much bigger and more attractive games Wycombe, Sheffield Wed, Portsmouth, Bolton, Charlton. If there is one game you are going to miss out of all those in a 6 week period it would be Gillingham.
I can see where you are going with this but for some reason our away following this season has for a top six side has slipped back a few notches and I can't help feeling that the catch phrase by the northern geezers from Rotherham to me, to you is what are fans are saying. Meaning the 400 or so 'everywhere you go' supporters can do the hard yards in supporting the club at the sh*te end of the stick and the rest of you can pick the better games to go to will come out when they feel fit. Ffs we are a top six club and some fans need to give their heads more of a wobble. Do you think Sheff Wed, Pompey, Ipswich and the likes sit back and say...um I don't like the Gillingham experience so I won't go. Total B*****s. If we want to become a top side especially with a new horizon hopefully on its way then get out of your comfort zone and support the club no matter what. I cannot afford time off as I'm self employed and old...but I want my team for their efforts see a reasonably packed away end and not hear supporters saying I don't like the ground and its facilities nonsense.

COYY'S.

Makes no sense for there to be no sales on the day. That scaffolding can hold quite a few. Don't football clubs want to make money (or more accurately keep their losses a bit lower). And would they really turn people away who don't have a ticket?
Also we have a couple of hundred seats on the side under cover. I left it nearly a week to get tickets for me and my mates after they went on sale fully expecting the side to be sold out. It wasn't so I don't think the excuse about being stuck out in the open exposed to the elements is necessary a valid one.
True it isn't the best place for pubs but I've been to some at least half decent ones there over the years.
I agree Paul, and all praise to those who go but let’s stop with the ‘poor effort’ stuff (I realise that's not you!), it’s unnecessary and just gets peoples backs up.

As stated, there are any number reasons why people don’t go - ultimately it’s not life and death, it’s something ingrained in our psyche and for which most of us feel a great sense of community but sometimes you just don’t go. Not like when you took me to Wrexham on a drab Tuesday night back in the 70s (free seats courtesy of Bicester‘s own Peter Foley) - everyone who didn’t go to that was a loser!

I wonder if other clubs away support is less than usual? Fear of covid might be a factor still that tips some over the edge for going to away games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom