Home Match Day Thread +++27/08/2019 League Cup: OUFC V Millwall +++

Surprised by some of the positive comments about Berkoe, as I thought he was very poor. He looked really weak and lost out in every 50/50. He made a couple of decent overlapping runs but other than that don't think he offered much. That's not me writing him off, I just don't think he had a good game last night.

On the whole I thought the performance last night was poor. We started by lining up 433 but Robinson switched to a diamond very early on because the wide players in the front three were getting pushed very far back, making it closer to a 451. However, that change didn't really work either as both full backs were getting exposed far too often.

I don't think any of our players had a particularly good game. Moore and Mousinho did fairly well I suppose, although there's an argument to be made that the defending was poor again for both of Millwall's goals.

The players do of course need to be praised for not totally giving up, but I agree with previous posters that the main reason we were able to get back into the game was because of the defensive substitutions made by Harris (reminded me so much of Wilder when he was here). Up until the changes he made our CB's and midfield had very little time on the ball and as a result we struggled to get any sort of passing football going. However, those changes allowed us to bring the ball out much further, and when Thorne came on he had the time to pick out a pass.

On Thorne, it's evident that he's a very good passer of the ball but it's obvious he's still a good few weeks off of any sort of fitness. He looked knackered after 5 minutes on the pitch yesterday. When/if we can get him fit he could be a very useful player.

On the whole then, it was a very disappointing performance. However, we're in the next round and I guess that's all that matters in the cup!

Let's hope the result has given the squad a boost going into the Coventry match.

Last edited:
Bercoe (sic) looked pretty good with the ball and started well. He’s got a bit of pace too.

However he expectedly tired and physically he struggled against a good side in the second half.

Berkoe though will be pleased overall and his confidence will have been boosted I would think.

Certainly nowhere near the worst debut i’ve Seen and there’s plenty to work with.

Hmmm not sure, he looked well out of his depth to me, having said that he was literally playing out of his league against Millwall so maybe give him a chance.

Hmmm not sure, he looked well out of his depth to me, having said that he was literally playing out of his league against Millwall so maybe give him a chance.
Agree. I’ve been a big supporter of Berkoe and he’s a youngster with bags of promise, but last night he was floundering. Looked nervous and uncertain and played most of his passes backwards. In the first half particularly he struggled to contain their forward and I think that game will have done nothing for his confidence unfortunately.

Not sure what you’re saying? Millwall should have won that game easily. Harris’ error was taking Elliott off too early as it allowed our centre backs to push further forward as our main concern had left the field of play.
Harris was saying they should have scored 4,6 or 8, but they didn’t we should have beaten Blackpool buy 4,6 or 8 but we didn’t that’s football.

It's worth noting that it was Berkoe's first professional start, so while he struggled at times, it's understandable. Hopefully the result will inject a little positivity into the mix and change some mindsets. Onwards and upwards

Have to say this outcome is positive evidence of Robbo’ strengths. He gives the younger players a fair crack while giving competitive playing time to other squad players. After last night options through the squad look more coherent and, as a bonus we have got another (hopefully attractive) game ahead.
Smart job, Mr Robinson!

It just shows what can happen so don't leave early! I was lucky enough to win a pair of tickets and sat in SSL, quite near the pitch, very different from my usual seat in the East Stand (I was able to see every decision the lino got wrong up close!). I felt we were solid in the first half and unlucky to be a goal down. The team showed great spirit and I really hope this picks the team up. Moore really impressed me and seemed to win every header.
So many other positives to come out of it and surely it will give them a massive lift ahead of Saturday.

Morning after the roller coaster night before - the ethic of dont give up, keep going paid dividends last night, with our squad players not being overwhelmed by higher league opposition squad players, despite being 2 down, that last 4 min comeback, followed by that successful pen shootout was one hell of an end to any (cup) match!

Defence questionable for both goals conceeded

Berkoe and Moore are both WIP, neither set the world alight last night, but have more first team minutes added to their learning curves

Great to see Baptiste back, looked good early on but ( expectedly) tired after 50-55 mins
Hall looked fitter, faster and showed a few more flashes of brilliance- that free kick forcing a worldie save from Steele for example

Long had a decentish game especially when overlapping and putting crosses in

Sykes was a bit anonymous when playing through the middle, when out wide looked a lot better, took a punch in the head from Steele in a challenge a few mins before he scored

Forde showed a few nice touches but was often outmuscled and 2nd best in challenges - like Moore n Berkoe, hes still very much WIP

When we got crosses into the box rarely was anyone in a yellow shirt anywhere close, nevermind challenging
for the ball

Our substitutions were it seems made at the right time, as the game turned in our favour after they had been made

Im still buzzing from that awesome finish to the game.... and the victorious pen shoot out ..... its highs such as those that eclipse the (many) less favourable times supporting the U's :love:

I thought it was a pretty entertaining game TBH, even before the comeback. Given that we were playing a team a division above and our team contained several players returning from injury and many not in the first choice first team I thought we did OK, even at 0-2 down. They really didn't have a host of chances, maybe a couple of decent ones apart from the ones they scored.

Was great to see Baptiste back (obviously not match fit, could have been subbed at half time I thought), Hall looked sharper (he seemed to be playing more centrally, which suited him and I though this was a more sensible match to play him in than a league game) and Thorne is obviously class. I don't think Berkoe was as out of his depth as some have said although (worryingly as far as fitness is concerned) he too looked shot by the hour mark. Sykes didn't do his chances of staying and fighting for a place any harm. When we started pressing their defence in the second half (rather than just letting them have the ball) they looked far less comfortable, we really ought to do that much more. We showed the same problems I fear we will have all season - a lack of any real pace and a shortage of fit goal-scoring bodies in the striker position.

I'm not quite sure what the ref was on, but for once it ended up working out to our advantage ;) Some great penalties. Glad I went and to those who left before the end - that's why you shouldn't!

can't be ar#ed to google it cos got a big tree limb to cut up with my chainsaw, where did Moore come from & was is it 3 year contract?
the time I've just spent writing this I could've checked myself

Very much agree with this. Once we've all calmed down a bit, in the cold light of day that was a bit of a sobering performance. Some neat link up play and passing, and generally good defending, but we were outplayed for much of the game and should have been buried. That we were allowed to get back into it is I think as much to do with Harris' subs as Robinson's. NH seemed to decide to sit off and see out the game, which allowed us a bit more space up the pitch, which led to the pressure which led to the two goals. We were otherwise kept very much at arm's length imo.

I thought Berkoe looked very promising. Found wanting positionally a couple of times, not least for their first goal, but looks to be quick and have good distribution. Thorne, too, as others have mentioned, played the QB role very well, fizzing passes into forward players' feet well. I found players seemed to make more confident and adventurous runs when he had the ball too, recognising his passing ability, which is promising. If we can get him fit and playing consistently he could knit us together brilliantly. I'd also like to put a word in for Sam Long, who I haven't seen mentioned yet. Another of the sort of performances we came to expect and applaud at the end of last season. Full of running, defensively pretty sound and frequently provided an option going forward. Big fan of his.

Great result. A brilliant night - one of those rare footballing occasions where 'It couldn't, could it?' happens to your team. Would love to get a plumb tie in the next round. Failing that, I note Crawley and Colchester are through to the next round - one of them at home please!
Glad you’re not the only one that saw Longs performance last night. ??

can't be ar#ed to google it cos got a big tree limb to cut up with my chainsaw, where did Moore come from & was is it 3 year contract?
the time I've just spent writing this I could've checked myself
Three year deal. He was at OH Leuven in Belgium for two years, on loan from Leicester City.
Careful with that chainsaw!

Just read through this and as usual opinions vary.
Was chatting with my mate with about 10 mins to go expecting a loss and the positives for me had been Long, Hanson, Forde, Hall & Baptiste. Negatives were Berkoe and the rest of the defence really.
We both said Berkoe obviously is young and needs time but can’t see him pushing Ruffels this season for the LB spot but would play him higher up the pitch as he did in pre season. (Like Garbutt)
When Baptiste is fit, a midfield three of him, Thorne & Brannigan would be immense.

Morning after the roller coaster night before - the ethic of dont give up, keep going paid dividends last night, with our squad players not being overwhelmed by higher league opposition squad players, despite being 2 down, that last 4 min comeback, followed by that successful pen shootout was one hell of an end to any (cup) match!

Defence questionable for both goals conceeded

Berkoe and Moore are both WIP, neither set the world alight last night, but have more first team minutes added to their learning curves

Great to see Baptiste back, looked good early on but ( expectedly) tired after 50-55 mins
Hall looked fitter, faster and showed a few more flashes of brilliance- that free kick forcing a worldie save from Steele for example

Long had a decentish game especially when overlapping and putting crosses in

Sykes was a bit anonymous when playing through the middle, when out wide looked a lot better, took a punch in the head from Steele in a challenge a few mins before he scored

Forde showed a few nice touches but was often outmuscled and 2nd best in challenges - like Moore n Berkoe, hes still very much WIP

When we got crosses into the box rarely was anyone in a yellow shirt anywhere close, nevermind challenging
for the ball

Our substitutions were it seems made at the right time, as the game turned in our favour after they had been made

Im still buzzing from that awesome finish to the game.... and the victorious pen shoot out ..... its highs such as those that eclipse the (many) less favourable times supporting the U's :love:

Excellent analysis @Sarge, you should be a journalist...?

We had to leave game early to get home last night. As we did there were three banks of around 8 police in robocop attire walking behind the East stand. Out of the estate walkway by the car park came around 15 lads, some with drinks in hand, somehow avoiding the police.
Did anything happen after the game?

We had to leave game early to get home last night. As we did there were three banks of around 8 police in robocop attire walking behind the East stand. Out of the estate walkway by the car park came around 15 lads, some with drinks in hand, somehow avoiding the police.
Did anything happen after the game?

I didn’t see anything bad happen all night tbf. Thought the evening was missing that edge that normally goes with this fixture.

Back
Top Bottom