+++ 25/09/2019 League Cup OUFC V West Ham United +++

Isn’t this PRECISELY the reason it’s Hall and not Sykes that should’ve been sent out on loan..?
I am not sure you should ever send out on loan a player reading himself back from a serious injury?

Yeah though without Simon’s wonder save at 2-0 they would probably have equalised, despite looking rubbish. Did they actually play a striker?

They played with 1 up top (think his name is Ajeti) who is back up to Haller (main signing in the summer iirc over £30m) who later came on as a sub.

Fornals played the 10 role for them apparently, and he cost over £20m in the summer.

I am not sure you should ever send out on loan a player reading himself back from a serious injury?

Why ever not?

He is in reality a long LONG time post cruciate reconstruction, and is regarded by management as fit enough to start first team games for Oxford.

He’s just not looking fit, or in reality, good enough for Oxford at the moment.

The question is, would anyone take him and play him?

Why ever not?

He is in reality a long LONG time post cruciate reconstruction, and is regarded by management as fit enough to start first team games for Oxford.

MK mongs perhaps

I agree and really really don't like him playing first team games as a fitness exercise.

However, I did think he looked better on Wednesday than he has done previously this season - not up to the standard of first team football yet (and there is a lack of confidence that makes me wonder if he ever will be no matter how physically fit he gets) but better. He wouldn't (sadly) get into the first team at the moment if I were selecting it.

Last edited:
Great free kick , really unlucky, but not sure he will be with us next season. Great lad , hope he proves me wrong and I will be the first on to apologise.

It's a shame to be down on anyone after Wednesday but Rob Hall isn't up to it as things stand unfortunately. We rode our luck down the right hand side and Long (who was excellent) bailed him out a few times in the first 30 mins.

He's unfit, has no confidence and can't beat his man. I feel almost bad saying so but it is what it is. He's not at the required level.

Baptiste and Brannagan in midfield is crazy at L1 level. If we do anything this season it will be down to that pair. Gorrin sitting behind him. So much studier and dynamic without Woodburn. I really like Henry but I would actually start Fosu and Forde (who I really rate).

Taylor starting to score. Hope Thorne is OK, looks a real Rolls Royce.

I'm starting to dream again. Shite.

We need to look after Hall, and monitor his progress and recovery very closely, and be very careful and sensible with how we use him, and there’s no guarantee another club would treat him the same way, so it’s best he stays here, the club are basically trying to save the lads career this season.

As for Sykes, thankfully he didn’t go out on loan, we need him here.

Don’t get me wrong, with a 7-man bench I’d love to have a Barry Fry-sized squad with all the forward options I could see fit.

But, Hall has been keeping Sykes off the bench in the league in recent weeks.

I’ll rephrase my point; wouldn’t you agree that Sykes now needs to be above Hall in the pecking order?

Why ever not?

It seems to me that the club are easing him back in slowly and gently. Maybe for phychological reasons as well as physical reasons (having had some serious injuries)
The club seem to have played welfare pretty high up on its priorities.
So to me it is of no surprise that he wasnt sent out on loan.

Don’t get me wrong, with a 7-man bench I’d love to have a Barry Fry-sized squad with all the forward options I could see fit.

But, Hall has been keeping Sykes off the bench in the league in recent weeks.

I’ll rephrase my point; wouldn’t you agree that Sykes now needs to be above Hall in the pecking order?
Definitely agree with you there

His free kick was very unlucky, but part of me is pleased that we went in at half time at 0-0.
I think if Pelligrini has given them the hairdryer treatment at half time they would have been more committed in the 2nd half. As it was we destroyed them.

Its taken me a couple of days to comment to this game, apart from the goals obviously my standout moments came from the 2 keepers.
Eastwoods was f*****g brilliant, and the one Roberto clawed out was pretty damn good too.

Its taken me a couple of days to comment to this game, apart from the goals obviously my standout moments came from the 2 keepers.
Eastwoods was f*****g brilliant, and the one Roberto clawed out was pretty damn good too.

Reminded me of you bailing us out of the sh!t a few times in tournaments mate! ??

Everyone saying Hall was bad - I've seen most if not all of his previous starts/major appearances for us this season, and his performance against West Ham was his best, and a clear improvement. Now I'm not saying that's good enough, but at least he's improving, getting better over time, and if he keeps doing that then maybe he will reach a level where he can be a useful player for us again - lets not write him off just yet shall we?

Everyone saying Hall was bad - I've seen most if not all of his previous starts/major appearances for us this season, and his performance against West Ham was his best, and a clear improvement. Now I'm not saying that's good enough, but at least he's improving, getting better over time, and if he keeps doing that then maybe he will reach a level where he can be a useful player for us again - lets not write him off just yet shall we?
Thought he was much better centrally tbh

Back
Top Bottom