Away Match Day Thread +++ 23/11/2019 Southend United V OUFC League 1 +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
You never quite know what will happen after such a break from league action, but yesterday was so impressive. Great display in the first half, then again at the start of the second. Then Southend dominated for 15 minutes or so.
We showed real quality and resolve to get back on it and hammer home our superiority.
Great celebration at the end too.
And still have Branagan, Woodburn and Baptiste in the wings.
Hugely satisfying away trip!

You never quite know what will happen after such a break from league action, but yesterday was so impressive. Great display in the first half, then again at the start of the second. Then Southend dominated for 15 minutes or so.
We showed real quality and resolve to get back on it and hammer home our superiority.
Great celebration at the end too.
And still have Branagan, Woodburn and Baptiste in the wings.
Hugely satisfying away trip!

Big group huddle of all the players and subs and coaches at the end. I get the feeling they have a great group mechanic going on , all in it together.

Just watched the game back on iFollow.

Southend are right at the bottom of the form table and they’re losing games by far bigger margins than even we are winning them. They dominated possession – 63% per the BBC – but most of this came from the back five passing it around one another. They struggled to work it forwards, and often lost possession further up field when we pressed their back line into a clearance or long ball – particularly the LWB and LCB in the first half.

Our goals came from capitalising quickly on Southend errors and running direct at goal from the middle of the pitch. Across all four, it took an average of 0.25 passes and less than six seconds to go from winning possession to scoring.

Henry was immense even beyond his goal and assist – he created good chances for himself and Taylor, and laid the ball off for Fosu to hit the post.
Southend got forwards more in the final 30 minutes, when they took a CB off for a midfielder. Oxford sat a bit deeper and Taylor began to look a little isolated at the top, especially as Fosu tired and started to drift inside. However, despite trying out our right hand side a lot during this spell, Southend could not force a decent save from Eastwood until stoppage time. We dominated in shots (12 on target to three for Southend) and in creating meaningful chances more generally.

At one point in the second half they tried a long ball straight out from defence and it caught everyone off guard. I’m surprised they didn’t try it more, but they had clearly committed to their style of play as it looks like they had a midfielder – Dieng, number 8 – in at centre back. He had a tough afternoon, giving the ball away to Henry for our second goal and also losing track of Taylor for our third.

We played smart, punished mistakes, and looked comfortable in defence. Without Brannagan, it may not be a surprise that we didn’t create as much in the way of long build-up play. Southend stuck to a plan that wasn't working for too long, and looked a long way off League One standard.

Last edited:
Great to win 4-0 away and nowhere near our best. Matt Taylor showing what we have been missing for a while. One obvious thing to me is that we really miss Cam. The others have filled in really well but he is different gravy in comparison this season. Hope he can pick up where he left off but I think he'll have to be eased in over a couple of games. Big plus was Agyei getting off the mark. That was a powerful fast run and good finish. Pleased for him and us. If we have to adopt a counter attacking style in some games he could be ideal if he now has the confidence to do it.

Just watched the game back on iFollow.

Southend are right at the bottom of the form table and they’re losing games by far bigger margins than even we are winning them. They dominated possession – 63% per the BBC – but most of this came from the back five passing it around one another. They struggled to work it forwards, and often lost possession further up field when we pressed their back line into a clearance or long ball – particularly the LWB and LCB in the first half.

Our goals came from capitalising quickly on Southend errors and running direct at goal from the middle of the pitch. Across all four, it took an average of 0.25 passes and less than six seconds to go from winning possession to scoring.

Henry was immense even beyond his goal and assist – he created good chances for himself and Taylor, and laid the ball off for Fosu to hit the post.
Southend got forwards more in the final 30 minutes, when they took a CB off for a midfielder. Oxford sat a bit deeper and Taylor began to look a little isolated at the top, especially as Fosu tired and started to drift inside. However, despite trying out our right hand side a lot during this spell, Southend could not force a decent save from Eastwood until stoppage time. We dominated in shots (12 on target to three for Southend) and in creating meaningful chances more generally.

At one point in the second half they tried a long ball straight out from defence and it caught everyone off guard. I’m surprised they didn’t try it more, but they had clearly committed to their style of play as it looks like they had a midfielder – Dieng, number 8 – in at centre back. He had a tough afternoon, giving the ball away to Henry for our second goal and also losing track of Taylor for our third.

We played smart, punished mistakes, and looked comfortable in defence. Without Brannagan, it may not be a surprise that we didn’t create as much in the way of long build-up play. Southend stuck to a plan that wasn't working for too long, and looked a long way off League One standard.

Good write up.

It was a much safer drive when the white BMW with the OUFC number plate worked out how to switch his lights on five miles down the A127!

That was me!

Joking aside, I always have the lights set to "auto" so I don't have to bother turning them on or off. The car had it's first MOT on Wednesday and they must have decided in their wisdom to change the lights setting to "off" and this was the first time I'd driven it in the dark since then. I'm a bit annoyed about it as I think it's bloody dangerous of the garage changing somebody's light settings and they should have handed the car back how they found it. As it was a well lit built up area I hadn't noticed until people started flashing their lights at me.

That was me!

Joking aside, I always have the lights set to "auto" so I don't have to bother turning them on or off. The car had it's first MOT on Wednesday and they must have decided in their wisdom to change the lights setting to "off" and this was the first time I'd driven it in the dark since then. I'm a bit annoyed about it as I think it's bloody dangerous of the garage changing somebody's light settings and they should have handed the car back how they found it. As it was a well lit built up area I hadn't noticed until people started flashing their lights at me.

One time, my mum was driving my dad home from a rather well-oiled gathering of old school chums and forgot to turn on her lights (she too was driving through the most well-lit bit of town though so not so noticeable).
A copper set off in pursuit and pulled her over. My dad with the alcohol flowing says from the passenger seat. "Don't worry love, let ME sort this out"...promptly can't open his seatbelt or the door, then falls backwards out of the car onto the road. By the time he's managed to get to his feet, the copper had told my mum her lights were off, wished her a good night, got back in his car and drove off.

That was me!

Exactly the same thing happened to me the last time I had my car MOT'd. :)

Beating Whycome has to be the priority. However, beating City first would surely set us up very nicely for them.

Campbell on yesterday.."I think we have to play football"...yeah you could say that..never have so many football clichés been employed to pepper post match drivel.

That was me!

A couple of years ago o flew ten hours to Dortmund and landed late at night. I then picked up my hire car and had an hours drive on the autobahn in the dark whilst jet lagged.

a load of cars started honking me and eventually I realized it was the lights. But it was so dark and with no street lighting I couldn’t find them on this weird hire car I’d ended up with. I was sat on the hard shoulder waiting to be cleaned out whilst trying to work it out

That was me!

Have you worked out what the little orange lights on the corners are for? Don`t think that`s in the BMW manual either.................... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom