Home Match Day Thread +++27/08/2019 League Cup: OUFC V Millwall +++

Sarge

God like member
following 2 league defeats that has seen 7 goals shipped with 3 scored, on paper at least, this League Cup second road match appears to add up to a home defeat against Championship opposition.

However, given the amount of injuries & knocks our first team has sustained, KR is likely to field a team of squad players and youngsters, who knows maybe Mark Sykes might even get a game?- last time he played OUFC won,- spookily it was the first round in this cup competition

I dont know why, but Ive a feeling this 'll be a home win, 1-0 , a late winner coming from one of our promising youngsters, Lofthouse, coming off the bench to propel the U's in the 3rd round

Eastwood

Long Dickie Moore Ruffels

Henry Mousinho Sykes

Hall Mackie Forde

Subs: Stevens Berkoe Jones Hanson Baptiste Woodburn Agyei

I'd want to keep the back four mostly settled. Cadden out because he's run himself into the ground for the past week. But the others need game time to build an understanding and get the basics absolutely right.

I've not put Gorrin in this squad, he'll be more important against Coventry on Saturday. Annoyingly I think if he'd played and got another yellow against Rovers on Saturday, his ban would have applied to this game. Would have been a good one to get the suspension out of the way for.

I've put him in, but I'm not sure Sykes will get game time on Tuesday. If the decision has been made to out him on a loan list, he's probably going to be kept away from the first team. But Baptiste will be eased back and get a run out second half I reckon.

Robinson is persevering with Hall, I suppose he'll also get 45-60 minutes just to run around. Agyei or Woodburn to replace him.

Lots of unknowns in regards to cup competitions. I could see Baptiste or Agyei starting, Lofthouse or Lopes being on the bench.

Because of that, I wouldn't know what score to predict. I'll say 2-2, with us going through on penalties.

following 2 league defeats that has seen 7 goals shipped with 3 scored, on paper at least, this League Cup second road match appears to add up to a home defeat against Championship opposition.

However, given the amount of injuries & knocks our first team has sustained, KR is likely to field a team of squad players and youngsters, who knows maybe Mark Sykes might even get a game?- last time he played OUFC won,- spookily it was the first round in this cup competition

I dont know why, but Ive a feeling this 'll be a home win, 1-0 , a late winner coming from one of our promising youngsters, Lofthouse, coming off the bench to propel the U's in the 3rd round

And then we all woke up.

I guess dreams can come true though!!

it’s the sort of thing we seem good at - couple of crap games in the league then a cup win, so on that basis a 2-1 win and into the 3rd round

The Loungers are going with the expectation of something to eat before and the drive home again after. (And probably more lane closures on the A34)
Other than that, hmmm. . .who knows?

Eastwood
Long Dickie Moore Berkoe
Hanson Mous Sykes
Woodburn Mackie Forde

SUBS: Agyei, Baptiste, Jones, Thorne, Hall, Lofthouse, Stevens​

Of course, I'm hoping we win, but I'm more interested in taking the opportunity to rest some players, and giving minutes to some of the squad players, as well as giving minutes, either from the start, or off the bench, for some of the youth players, half fit players, and players returning from injury.

Might be worth getting Mous to familiarise himself with the DM role again, in case Gorrin's hamstring strain causes problems, and Thorne isn't ready to cover for him.

Also a good chance to have another game for Dickie and Moore to get used to each other, and hopefully Sykes gets a run out, and who knows, if he does well, Robbo might have second thoughts about loaning him out.

But these league cup games, and abomination trophy games, surely have to be seen as an opportunity to rest players, and get new signings, and players returning from injury up to speed, to be available for the league, and hopefully, maybe a good run in the FA cup.

COYY

Eastwood
Long Dickie Moore Berkoe
Hanson Mous Sykes
Woodburn Mackie Forde

SUBS: Agyei, Baptiste, Jones, Thorne, Hall, Lofthouse, Stevens​

Of course, I'm hoping we win, but I'm more interested in taking the opportunity to rest some players, and giving minutes to some of the squad players, as well as giving minutes, either from the start, or off the bench, for some of the youth players, half fit players, and players returning from injury.

Might be worth getting Mous to familiarise himself with the DM role again, in case Gorrin's hamstring strain causes problems, and Thorne isn't ready to cover for him.

Also a good chance to have another game for Dickie and Moore to get used to each other, and hopefully Sykes gets a run out, and who knows, if he does well, Robbo might have second thoughts about loaning him out.

But these league cup games, and abomination trophy games, surely have to be seen as an opportunity to rest players, and get new signings, and players returning from injury up to speed, to be available for the league, and hopefully, maybe a good run in the FA cup.

COYY
would like to see Long at rb and Cadden at rw.
hope KR puts out strong team as a decent cup run could give us a tasty looking 3rd round match and will bring in much needed money

On the field, the 'Wall have made a good start to the season (0-4 to pumping by Fulham aside). Guess it depends if they put a full-strength team out but feeling confident in the Yellows

Off the field: as always, we will need to keep our wits about us. They will be desperate to settle a few scores after we took liabilities last time. Hearing the Bodleian could be a flashpoint and dinners could get mashed in the Bowlplex, especially if a few of our old faces make an appearance against their slags.

for those wanting players rested, the club wont get any money if we're not in the draw for the 3rd round,just a thought

also don't complain when the prem reserves/under 23's are allowed in the leagues and cups.

let's just wave the white flag and let Millwall win or better still not bother entering any cup competitions.

we're a mid table 3rd tier team we may as well all give up if there's going to be no hope or dreams

for those wanting players rested, the club wont get any money if we're not in the draw for the 3rd round,just a thought

also don't complain when the prem reserves/under 23's are allowed in the leagues and cups.

let's just wave the white flag and let Millwall win or better still not bother entering any cup competitions.

we're a mid table 3rd tier team we may as well all give up if there's going to be no hope or dreams
I have hopes and dreams of promotion, and a giant killing or two during a great FA cup run, but we've got a number of players who are new signings, and not fully fit, and players coming back from long term injuries, and even a couple of first team regulars struggling with slight injuries (Gorrin, Brannagan, Fosu)

So forgive me if I don't want to risk these first team players in a league cup game, or abomination trophy game, and would rather use those games to try and get the new signings and retuning players up to speed, so we can have a more competitive squad, pushing for places in the first team, so we can try to be successful in the league, and push for promotion, and then hopefully, with a fully fit squad, we can try to have a good cup run in the FA cup.

Anyway, I still think the team I picked is a pretty strong side, and match day squad, capable of beating Millwall.

Like you say, we're a third tier team, and although we have more quality in depth than we have had in years, we don't have enough to try to challenge in the league, fa cup, league cup, and abomination trophy without risking those players, we have to be careful with what we have in the squad, and prioritise certain competitions over others, and pick our squads accordingly.

Thats life for a third tier club I'm afraid.

KR will be minded to play a competitive side against Millwall.
This game is further along the line than the FA cup. We win this and there is a greater chance of a fat cat prem side in the next round.
If the weather stays the same though, it will be a strength sapping game in the heat. Not perfect preparation for Coventry on Saturday so a measured approach will be required.

we are at home in a domestic cup competition and one that we have Won against a fair championship side with the possibility of making a few quid next round against a more glamorous club

As for the f a cup deal with that when it comes, we could as easily be away to a League 1 or 2 side and go out

The mickey mouse cup is one we target every year due to the prize money

Winning attracts attention and interest,

We're not going to throw the towel in, but there does need a little common sense applied to team selection. Mackie played an hour on Saturday and may be needed against Cov if Taylor isn't fit, so it makes sense to rest him. Woodburn is a young player who has played nearly every minute so might also be worth resting. Gorrin, Fosu and Brannagan have had knocks, Ruffels has yet to find his form from last year, Long, Sykes, Forde will all be expecting to get game time.

The idea that we are selling out if we make changes is bizarre and doesn't reflect the modern squad game.

I’m not normally negative but I’ve a feeling the team might get a bit of a mauling from the Lions. We’ve not had much luck and I can’t see it changing against a hard to beat (Fulham aside) team that will probably be a mixture of regulars and hopefuls. I really hope I’m wrong and I will be supporting the boys as usual.

Been offered SSU tickets for this one but aren’t all you SSU’s moaning Minnie’s? ? I always picture @greatunclekip gurning there with his falsies in a jar beside him!
Might just stick to stoic east stand attitude. What do you think?

Been offered SSU tickets for this one but aren’t all you SSU’s moaning Minnie’s? ? I always picture @greatunclekip gurning there with his falsies in a jar beside him!
Might just stick to stoic east stand attitude. What do you think?
As the seats where me dad, sis n nephew have their ST's for & where I sit for league games (and cup games when theyre not shut!) are' shut', I'm doing the same as I did V Posh in the League cup first round & going in East stand - it proved to be 'lucky' for the first round match, so sitting in the east stand for this one Im hoping for the same result as the first round :sneaky:

The suggestion put forward was to rest players "just because it's only the League cup"

Around the time our friend in the north does his conkers on us we were out of both domestic cup competitions by christmas and struggling in the league so there was nothing for fans to look forward too...(other than the 20,000 wembley day trippers)

A good cup run might just might ignite a bit of interest in our club and bring along much needed new fans...

Like i said if a competition that we have Won is so easily dismissed by our own fans (just like most of the big teams) then don't complain if/when the big clubs can enter their reserves or under 23's to give them "Game time"

Back
Top Bottom