Away Match Day Thread +++ 23/11/2019 Southend United V OUFC League 1 +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news going into the transfer window is that we have a good squad, some clear objectives (Taylor / Caden) and NO MONEY ISSUES so the club is really a great sales pitch compared to 12 months ago. Well done to all involved.

I’d like to see us spice things up with maybe another investment in a young Centre back or winger from a Celtic league

He’ll have that quoted on his CV already

On the other hand, of course, Sol's taken over a side that are adrift at the bottom - and decided that the best way out of that mess is to have bad League One defenders passing the ball around inside their own area......:rolleyes:

He was a dumb appointment, when what they really needed was a Wilder-style organizer and motivator.

He was a dumb appointment, when what they really needed was a Wilder-style organizer and motivator.
Well you say that, but he took over a team in pretty much the same position last year, albeit a division down, and turned them around to beat relegation. Guess the Southend board saw that and thought he could do it again.

Good news going into the transfer window is that we have a good squad, some clear objectives (Taylor / Caden) and NO MONEY ISSUES so the club is really a great sales pitch compared to 12 months ago. Well done to all involved.

I’d like to see us spice things up with maybe another investment in a young Centre back or winger from a Celtic league

You sure about the “no money issues”? Ok we haven’t had a winding up order for several months now.

If the stats on the BBC website are to be believed, we only had 37% of the possession.

If that's true, it goes to show (yet again) what a meaningless statistic possession percentage can be. It's not as if we were (after the first 50 odd seconds) ever likely to do anything other than win.

I tried accessing their forum and I have to register or log in

Correct Bazz, couldn't read any posts without logging in, but to the right was a pull-down list of L1 forums where we stand as City. Ignorant shrimpers, brains the same size as a shrimp too.

Actually thought that Southend were not the worst team we’ve played from a technical perspective. But unsurprisingly they had zero confidence and lacked so much pace at the back. That centre half that was replaced, Taylor?, had the turning circle of a London bus. They’re gone .

Our Taylor’s second goal was a lovely finish; we all knew he was going to score didn’t we? We haven’t had a finisher like this since (could I say something
something wild )John Aldridge?
Our team is very well balanced and very well coached. Robinson deserves a hell of a lot of credit.

People around me were saying how much they liked the ground. Old school but plenty of space and the roof created a good atmosphere.

Finally was impressed with Forde, stepped in t short notice to play in unfamiliar position and did very well.

On the other hand, of course, Sol's taken over a side that are adrift at the bottom - and decided that the best way out of that mess is to have bad League One defenders passing the ball around inside their own area......:rolleyes:

Wasnt the same things said about Mapp when he was first appointed here? Itll be interesting to see if Sol can learn and adapt ,after a transfer window, as efficiently

Southend have 5 points from 18, we had a terrible start last season but had that amount from 12 then picked up. They are going to need a dramatic improvement to stay up now, not certain they can football their way out of it now as they need to start picking up points pronto.

Thought Sol made some good changes for the second half and their 36 seemed a good player when he came on. But at the the end of the day you can't polish a turd and Southend are a turd?

Thought Sol made some good changes for the second half and their 36 seemed a good player when he came on. But at the the end of the day you can't polish a turd and Southend are a turd?
He did but....
Playing out from the back with such average players? His tactics from the start were very questionable I reckon.

Things are going great but lots of work to do, are we good enough to take the next step and get into the top 2, that is the big question atm, Wycombe at home will be a huge test, don’t get me wrong am chuffed to bits with this season just thinking ahead, do we need to improve anymore and if so how............or maybe leave things alone and ride the wave - Hope we agree the deal at the end of the season for super Matt - Love it if we do go up, let’s take 4000 to MK away.

Last edited:
Peterborough top league scorers in all four divisions (40).

We're currently equal second with Man City on 37.

We are the top scorers across all domestic competitions in the top 4 tiers (55 now, I think)

By contrast, we scored 81 goals across all competitions in 2018-2019.

That’s the one. Nice, innit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom