Home Match Day Thread +++27/08/2019 League Cup: OUFC V Millwall +++

An interesting watch. If not all that entertaining until the last 5 minutes.

Agree with the comments re Thorn looked big and strong and good vision. Pen was first class! Unstoppable. Woodburn changed things too being lively and offering something going forward.
Before that for all our passing it was slow and predictable. Worst of all often inaccurate.

Still you don’t always get what you deserve out of football matches. Blackpool anyone?

To all those that left early.... ha!

I couldn't believe some left on the 70th minute mark!

I will be honest, since 15/16 season i've not watched any of our pens lol i always turn around and just await the roar... must be my superstition.

Hmmm not sure, he looked well out of his depth to me, having said that he was literally playing out of his league against Millwall so maybe give him a chance.

Berkoe gave the ball away too easily, out of position too often and passing went astray. He seemed to be bullied off the ball in the same way Napa does, quite light weight.

It's worth noting that it was Berkoe's first professional start, so while he struggled at times, it's understandable. Hopefully the result will inject a little positivity into the mix and change some mindsets. Onwards and upwards

Agreed, but another performance like that one from him, will be worrying.

Morning after the roller coaster night before - the ethic of dont give up, keep going paid dividends last night, with our squad players not being overwhelmed by higher league opposition squad players, despite being 2 down, that last 4 min comeback, followed by that successful pen shootout was one hell of an end to any (cup) match!

Defence questionable for both goals conceeded

Berkoe and Moore are both WIP, neither set the world alight last night, but have more first team minutes added to their learning curves

Great to see Baptiste back, looked good early on but ( expectedly) tired after 50-55 mins
Hall looked fitter, faster and showed a few more flashes of brilliance- that free kick forcing a worldie save from Steele for example

Long had a decentish game especially when overlapping and putting crosses in

Sykes was a bit anonymous when playing through the middle, when out wide looked a lot better, took a punch in the head from Steele in a challenge a few mins before he scored

Forde showed a few nice touches but was often outmuscled and 2nd best in challenges - like Moore n Berkoe, hes still very much WIP

When we got crosses into the box rarely was anyone in a yellow shirt anywhere close, nevermind challenging
for the ball

Our substitutions were it seems made at the right time, as the game turned in our favour after they had been made

Im still buzzing from that awesome finish to the game.... and the victorious pen shoot out ..... its highs such as those that eclipse the (many) less favourable times supporting the U's :love:

That’s a pretty decent summary although I thought Moore had a decent game considering the quality of the opponent. Berkoe was good early on, quick into the tackle and played some clever balls inside even if he was a bit fortunate with one or two passes that should have been cut out. Faded in the second half though and began to look clumsy. I thought Long played ok and he’s a capable back up for Cadden, put one lovely cross in that was just asking to be nodded in but the chance went begging.

Baptiste looked fit and mobile and didn’t shirk a few 50/50’s that was good to see. He’s got a nice smooth, gliding style with the ball and he’s always looking to play it forward and create something. I think he will nail down a permanent place before too long, he offers something a bit different. Thorne played two or three cracking passes from deep and that sort of long range accuracy will allow us to turn defence into attack very quickly. He looked a bit heavy to me and is probably a week or two of hard graft away from challenging for a start.

I actually think Berkoe looked good with the ball at his feet. He has good technical ability but his lack of experience let him down on plenty of occasions. That will come in time and I think we have a player with good potential on our hands, he has a lot to learn but clearly isn't a bad footballer.

Three year deal. He was at OH Leuven in Belgium for two years, on loan from Leicester City.
Careful with that chainsaw!
cheers. lost track of who came from where and for how long.
he’s only started a few games, hopefully he’ll form a good partnership with the Dickster eventually

An interesting watch. If not all that entertaining until the last 5 minutes.

Agree with the comments re Thorn looked big and strong and good vision. Pen was first class! Unstoppable. Woodburn changed things too being lively and offering something going forward.
Before that for all our passing it was slow and predictable. Worst of all often inaccurate.

Still you don’t always get what you deserve out of football matches. Blackpool anyone?

To all those that left early.... ha!
that was nearly me. got to the 85th and thought i’d get an early night. just going down towards the exit when Sykes scored so nearly missed a cracking end to the game

I actually thought Berkoe got better as the game went on but I'm afraid I agree he's not up to the level we need at the moment, KR and Faz were constantly coaching him when he was in front of them yet he still didnt make tackles or do much with the ball.
-I thought Moore was decent, yes he lost our to Elliott but that guy is a monster and was much more physical, but I'm more confident in Moore winning headers than Mousinho, problems come when we don't win that first header.
-Agree on Thorne, it was only a cameo and he didn't get the ball for ten mins when he came on, but he struck a few quality balls and passes, and yes Mousinho should have given him the ball more. And he's bloody tall too, always a bonus.
-How great it was to see Baptiste back, he looked absolute quality, always had time on the ball, drive forward with the ball (something our midfield failed to do on Sat, Brannagan aside) and his touch looked assured. Could see he was knackered and he had an ice pack on his knee when he came off but assume that was precautionary.
Agree with a previous post, a midfield three of Thorne sitting, Brannagan buzzing about and Baptiste going forward could be absolutely awesome and the key to us doing something this season.

I want to see this team when injuries allow:

Eastwood

Cadden Moore Dickie Ruffels​
Thorne​
Brannagan Baptiste​
Fosu Henry​
Taylor​

Subs:
Stevens
Mousinho
Forde
Hanson
Agyei
Mackie
Hall
Woodburn
Sykes
Gorrin
Long
That's a hell of a team on paper and more importantly strength on the bench too.

With so many players and options, especially in midfield, I really hope it doesn’t take too to find the right combination for us to have a productive season. Sometimes squads packed with like for like quality, as we have, take half a season to get it right by which time it’s too late to have a say in the promotion shake up.

We’ve got loads of players who look good in that central, number 10 role - Henry, Forde, Brannigan, Woodburn - but we are clearly just lacking some pure pace on the wings. This team with Whyte and Browne would be literally unstoppable

Last night was the 1st time seeing the boys live. My take on performances was,

Eastwood had no chance with either goal but was confident that he would save at least 1 pen which he duly did. 1 scrambled save in the 1st half which he probably should of held. Solid game.

At the back Berkoe looked very raw not sure LB is his position as others have said he might be better further forward where he can use his pace. For me Sam long was only average at best for the 1st 80 mins but the last 10 + injury time he showed so much more and produced the cross of the night just a shame no one was in the middle. Mous was steady but always looks like theres a mistake in him. Moore 1st goal aside and I being harsh here I thought he had a decent game won almost everything in the air will soon be alongside Dickie at the back for the majority of the season.

In the middle I thought Hanson had a good game without doing anything spectacular. Forde showed a lot of promise and was a good signing. Sykes for 80% of the game I can see why they are thinking of sending him out on loan but the other 20% of his game last night he was superb a real talent, and if he can have less of the drifting and letting games pass him by and more of the 20% then we keep him. Great goal as well. Rob Hall I don't know I so wanted him to play like we know he can but hopefully its not an injury to far for him. Gave 100% last night and was very committed. Shandon, wow have we got a player there considering the last 18 months he has had great performance. Sure he was blowing out of his backside after an hour but that was to be expected.

Mackie up front, you just got to love this guy his commitment is 1st class, but he is only going to get us 6/8 goals a season and we need more. Also his body isn't going to last. ( over to you KR to solve that 1 )

Our subs changed our performance Woodburn I really hope we can keep him for the whole season really impressed me last night and gave us an outlet up front which was missing. Henry stepped up to the plate and was a major factor in our comeback. Was good to see Thorne get some game time if he stays fit he will have a massive influence on our season. Boy can he pass a ball. ( take note Mous you cant hit a diagonal ball like him. )

Overall a very enjoyable evening no hold ups on the A34 back home in bed before midnight result all round. COYY

Ousted tonight from his North stand eyrie, I wonder whether Mr Cannell may be sitting SSU? Somewhere near the directors box of course!?

O. Hello. I'm far too young for the SSU so I decided to help the missus celebrate her 30th wedding anniversary. At least that's my excuse.

O. Hello. I'm far too young for the SSU so I decided to help the missus celebrate her 30th wedding anniversary. At least that's my excuse.
you missed an exciting (last) ten mins (including the penalty shoot out) :sneaky:

Just read through this and as usual opinions vary.
Was chatting with my mate with about 10 mins to go expecting a loss and the positives for me had been Long, Hanson, Forde, Hall & Baptiste. Negatives were Berkoe and the rest of the defence really.
We both said Berkoe obviously is young and needs time but can’t see him pushing Ruffels this season for the LB spot but would play him higher up the pitch as he did in pre season. (Like Garbutt)
When Baptiste is fit, a midfield three of him, Thorne & Brannigan would be immense.

Long was poor! Gave the ball away way to often, didn’t mark that well etc. Oh and poor crosses when he had good opportunities to deliver e.g. hitting first man.

Just such a reactive player, but goodish cover I guess.

Back
Top Bottom