Away Match Day Thread +++ L1 29/12/2019 AFC Wimbledon v OUFC +++

We have different types of players, and they offer different things. Mackie might not be a serious goal threat, but he runs his legs off to disrupt the defence and buys time for our midfield to control the game. Taylor may have got a half chance or two, but mainly plays between the two centre backs. He is easier to play around which allows the ball to be cleared quicker and bypass our midfield, putting pressure on our own defence.

Equally Long and Sykes are very different to Cadden and Henry, but can be just as effective. Often Henry plays inside, leaving space outside for Cadden to play in. This gives more attacking options but it can also leave a big gap behind. Having Gorrin, Mous or Dickie covering means that we rarely get punished, but it can be a weakness. Long is 90% right back, 10% wing back. His first job is to defend, and he does this very well. This means that Gorrin can focus on defending the middle of the pitch rather than having to cover to the right. It also means that Sykes has the freedom to play a free role on the right, knowing that he has cover behind. He can play on the shoulder of the last defender like we saw with his goal today and can also find space through the middle. This is why Sykes doesn't play so well in front of Cadden, and why Long and Henry are not a great match.

Both Mackie and Long/Sykes worked well today against a team like Wimbledon. However, you would imagine that Taylor and Cadden/Henry will return against Doncaster who are a more natural footballing team.

Love it Mr Egg.

When you say Long/Sykes can be as effective as Cadden/Henry, I think I get exactly what you mean but I have to say that the latter is by far the preferred combination for me. My main issue is that Henry does such a superb job as a goalscorer and chance creator. If you rest Taylor and Henry at the same time then Sykes/Hall and Mackie provide a steep drop off in goals. We end up relying on Baptiste/Brannagan/Fosu or a more unusual source (twice if we should concede!). We've had some luck with those players hitting wonder strikes but I would not like to depend on them to win matches too often.

Henry is currently my player of the season. I am happy with Long as a RB at this level in his own right, but working out how to bring the best out of Henry would make the next six months a lot more enjoyable.

Great to hear a home fan comment on how we’re the best team they’ve seen this season on the walk back to the car yesterday. Not only did we out football Wimbledon but we also showed the battling qualities needed to compete against the more physical teams in the league.

Love it Mr Egg.

When you say Long/Sykes can be as effective as Cadden/Henry, I think I get exactly what you mean but I have to say that the latter is by far the preferred combination for me. My main issue is that Henry does such a superb job as a goalscorer and chance creator. If you rest Taylor and Henry at the same time then Sykes/Hall and Mackie provide a steep drop off in goals. We end up relying on Baptiste/Brannagan/Fosu or a more unusual source (twice if we should concede!). We've had some luck with those players hitting wonder strikes but I would not like to depend on them to win matches too often.

Henry is currently my player of the season. I am happy with Long as a RB at this level in his own right, but working out how to bring the best out of Henry would make the next six months a lot more enjoyable.

No way, and don’t agree about Long either. I guess that’s why Robinson’s got 3 right backs lined up just in case Cadden leaves.

Like when Gorrin’s out of the team we’ll notice how big a loss Cadden is if Long ends up being his permanent back up. He’s great as a back up shirt term.

Cadden’s energy, touch and availability brings so much to our team which sort of goes unnoticed until they’re not there e.g. similar to Gorrin. They make difficult situations look easy.

No way, and don’t agree about Long either. I guess that’s why Robinson’s got 3 right backs lined up just in case Cadden leaves.

Like when Gorrin’s out of the team we’ll notice how big a loss Cadden is if Long ends up being his permanent back up. He’s great as a back up shirt term.

Cadden’s energy, touch and availability brings so much to our team which sort of goes unnoticed until they’re not there e.g. similar to Gorrin. They make difficult situations look easy.

Yup. Long hasn't contributed enough attacking output this season. Just the two goals and an assist vs Wimbledon.

We do need another right back if Cadden goes. Just like we need another left-back, despite Ruffels being excellent there all season.

Yup. Long hasn't contributed enough attacking output this season. Just the two goals and an assist vs Wimbledon.

We do need another right back if Cadden goes. Just like we need another left-back, despite Ruffels being excellent there all season.

Like I said, he’s great as a back up, but not as a permanent replacement.

Ruffels, again good, but imagine having a Cadden/Baldock at left back too. You know, like Liverpool have in Trent-Arnold/Robinson.

Don’t really want to get into a debate about these players because they’re great squad players/cover/servants to the club, but I think we need to get better in these positions if we progress. If Long was better than Cadden then I’m sure KR would start him more often, but I guess he knows what Cadden type player brings to the team.

Obviously if you have two attacking fullbacks then if one goes the other needs to read the game to ensure they cover defensively.

Last edited:
Long also lost his man for the goal - add the two goals that came from his side against City and you can see why KR wants a new starter for Cadden
Pretty harsh.
Two goals came from his side v MAN City? You could argue that the central defenders should have cut out the crosses especially the first one. Regardless he played pretty well v Man C against exceptional players.
KR is rightly looking for a Cadden replacement as he provides so much going forwards. KR has suggested himself that Long is very good defensively but he is looking for one very attacking full back.

So after watching the Quest coverage, I am more convinced than ever that Colin Murray is a closet Oxford fan!
Unfortunately, the way he was talking up Baptiste, and with Ian Holloway drooling over the pass to Sykes, it'll be a real battle to keep hold of him this transfer window.

That goes back to his radio days I think when one of the production team on the show was a ST holder. He use to mention us a lot then incl. standing on the London Rd terrace on occasions (Left Side obvs).

He’s hardly had any game time!

Love it Mr Egg.

I'd agree that the Cadden/Henry partnership would be my preferred starting option. Long/Sykes are effective in a different way, and suit different games.

My main point, and one that many don't understand, is that we shouldn't compare every player on a like for like basis. Robinson clearly prefers an attacking full back which is why he is looking for a replacement for Cadden. But that doesn't make Long rubbish, and we certainly shouldn't be putting the blame on him for Man City goals for example.

Much of our success this season has been down to the strength of our squad to bring players in when needed, and to adapt to the way other teams set up. Yesterday was an example of a battling win, Lincoln away was a showcase for the quality of our midfield playmakers - but both were worth 3 points.

We are blessed with some fantastic players, and others who are not at the same level, but everyone has contributed this season and all have been valuable in their own way.

Although I do agree about their being a need for Cadden’s place to be filled, To say that Long was found out against Man City is f*****g ridiculous. As if any player could be expected to not be put under serious pressure from them?
They are Premiership champions FFS!!
Half of the game he was exposed by city because of an overload on his side that was caused by our midfielders not tracking back and as I remember it, I think he had a hell of a game against players who’s net worth is over £250million.

Cadden is a great player, one who will command a big big fee at some point soon, but to rubbish Sam Long like some on here have is bang out of order. Both are class act players who bring different styles to their position.
We are blessed to have one of them, let alone two.

Long also lost his man for the goal - add the two goals that came from his side against City and you can see why KR wants a new starter for Cadden
I am not sure that the big centre forward Piggott was actually his man , and if he was where were the centre backs ? Think he is was doing someone elses job tbh

Easily the worst ground in EFL couldn't see a thing but great 3 points - Good time to be an Oxford fan.

Wow
That’s some very lazy and crude analysis
Long is as solid as they come, cadden the way he plays leaves far more exposed at times.

Wow
That’s some very lazy and crude analysis
Long is as solid as they come, cadden the way he plays leaves far more exposed at times.
And the midfielders had the chance to close down the crosser and made little effort. Still asleep all over we were from the kick off IMO

Back
Top Bottom