Away Match Day Thread 22/02/2022 L1: Crewe Alexandra v OUFC

Massive Stand 1 Garden Sheds 3. Lop sided ground and lop sided game. We looked leggy after Saturday and I’d suggest playing an unchanged team wasn’t that wise, especially as the oppo had had their match postponed.

Crewe weren’t bad but such a young callow team. ‘Marcus’ was excellent when he came on and was a big factor in preserving the clean sheet.

Not much else to say; we ground out the win. Job done.

Feels like a very big win last night. Reminds me of how I felt when, a season or two back, we narrowly beat Southend at home to stay on course. At that time we were rolling over teams with ease - teams far better than Southend, who were rooted at the foot of the table like Crewe - but really struggled in that home match until Taylor popped up with a winner latish on. Somehow that ugly 1-0 last night just feels a bigger win than the demolition of Charlton - us toiling a bit, their shot off the underside of the bar, missed chances by us, scrappy winner from a substitute defender. That was proper digging out a result.

Is anyone else a bit concerned about Kane? A hell of a lot of his passes seem to go astray, and he has no speed at all (IMO of course). It may be perhaps that he is playing a bit out of position, but I think he has been pretty disappointing over the last few games.

Massive Stand 1 Garden Sheds 3. Lop sided ground and lop sided game. We looked leggy after Saturday and I’d suggest playing an unchanged team wasn’t that wise, especially as the oppo had had their match postponed.

Crewe weren’t bad but such a young callow team. ‘Marcus’ was excellent when he came on and was a big factor in preserving the clean sheet.

Not much else to say; we ground out the win. Job done.
Sorry but I can't agree at all with that. I'm yet to be convinced by him and I SO want him to prove us wrong. I thought last night he was just strolling/walking around, he kept ordering others into positions but he didn't challenge the Crewe players, didn't press or harry them, only got on the ball a few times and I think he has a hell of a lot to do to convince the fans and management that he deserves a starting place.

I truly believe if he performs up to his potential then we will have one of the best players in the division in our squad, but I've yet to see it.

Agree that Crewe weren't a bad side, at least they tried to play and gave us a few problems particularly down our right side in the second half, but their inexperience showed and we ground out a scrappy win.

FWIW I quite liked the ground, the big stand is totally out of proportion to the rest but it's nice being so close to the pitch, the Crewe fans at least had a go at making some noise in the second half (tho I hated that bloody drum!) and I thought the OUFC fans were great, we never stopped supporting even thought it was a bit nervy at times!

Great three points, onto Saturday and to do it for Joey. COYY's!!

Is anyone else a bit concerned about Kane? A hell of a lot of his passes seem to go astray, and he has no speed at all (IMO of course). It may be perhaps that he is playing a bit out of position, but I think he has been pretty disappointing over the last few games.
What he needs is a goal

Sorry but I can't agree at all with that. I'm yet to be convinced by him and I SO want him to prove us wrong. I thought last night he was just strolling/walking around, he kept ordering others into positions but he didn't challenge the Crewe players, didn't press or harry them, only got on the ball a few times and I think he has a hell of a lot to do to convince the fans and management that he deserves a starting place.
Not sure what game you were watching or if we’re talking about a different player but Marcus McGuane ran loads when he came on, pressed hard, kept the ball in the corner well and burst through on goal but was bundled over by the defender in the box (would have been a harsh penalty but I’ve seen them given) as well as did one superb turn and pass which set up a good chance.

No matter how he plays he seems to come in for far more criticism than any other player; I’ve seen him have objectively brilliant games and then come on here to read that he was below average or poor. He was good when he came on last night, I can’t see how anyone without an agenda or pre-conceived ideas would think that he wasn’t.

Not sure what game you were watching or if we’re talking about a different player but Marcus McGuane ran loads when he came on, pressed hard, kept the ball in the corner well and burst through on goal but was bundled over by the defender in the box (would have been a harsh penalty but I’ve seen them given) as well as did one superb turn and pass which set up a good chance.

No matter how he plays he seems to come in for far more criticism than any other player; I’ve seen him have objectively brilliant games and then come on here to read that he was below average or poor. He was good when he came on last night, I can’t see how anyone without an agenda or pre-conceived ideas would think that he wasn’t.
He’s just got to stay in his feet more, there is a special player in there somewhere.

really?? id suggest you probably dont watch us very often he's a hell of a player

I’m talking about our goal scorer last night in above post. not our glove wearing midfield maestro.

FWIW separately McGuane played well enough last night but wished he stayed on his feet more.

I don't think it helps to describe players as brilliant or bang average, and it certainly doesn't help to state that one opinion either way is fact! The reality is that we all see the game differently and will have a different take depending on where you watch the game from, or if you see it on iFollow or listen on RadOx.

One can still dream, until it's mathematically impossible you've got to aim for it
Yes, but I'd rather Wycombe drop points as more realistically we are competing with them for a playoff place.

He's frustrating at the moment for me, every so often he'll come up with a pass out of nowhere that's a stroke of genius, he did it once or twice last night. But he's not doing it as regularly as he was earlier in the season. And with a midfield three of him, Brannagan getting forward and Whyte, it has to be his job to win the ball and add something to the defence, which isn't his strong point. Crewe didn't have enough quality to punish us for it, but last night more than a few times there'd be a Crewe player on the ball maybe 40-50 yards out and just nothing between them and the defence on the edge of the box. It was a bit worrying to see and it's where I fear we'd fall down against better teams.

We thought he slowed our attacks down last night. Not through his pace on or off the ball but through hanging on to the ball a bit too long before passing..

Not especially but I do agree with your observations. He hasn’t been quite himself but that could easily just be that he set the bar so high in the first half of the season that a slight dip in form is more obvious.

I personally have him down as one of our very best performers this season - arguably our best signing. In the main he dictates games extremely well and is so noticeable in games. He frees Brannagan up to go forward which has had incredible returns for us, especially in last 10 games. He is the expert at the ‘professional foul’ which is something we’ve been poor at previously.

I think it is just form, possibly fatigue as he clocks up a huge mileage. But I think he’ll be vital for us in the run-in.

Back
Top Bottom