Home Match Day Thread 12/08/2023 L1: OUFC v Carlisle

Who’s it MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The main issue is, why don’t the media even ask about his whereabouts?

Nathan did ask a general question about players not in the first team squad, iirc Manning’s reply was to the affect that he has been open and honest with each player, they will know where they stand in his plans for the this season’s squad.

So from that, my view is Murphy and Wildschut are being ‘encouraged’ to find another club.

Nathan did ask a general question about players not in the first team squad, iirc Manning’s reply was to the affect that he has been open and honest with each player, they will know where they stand in his plans for the this season’s squad.

So from that, my view is Murphy and Wildschut are being ‘encouraged’ to find another club.
Should like to think they'd encourage themselves to move on if they are not fit or good enough for the squad let alone the team. Though outgoings wd mean academy team loans too.

East stand was very quiet today. Not sure why there was no pre match music today….that won’t help with improving the atmosphere. Also no half time “entertainment”. Seems a bit lazy from the club to me
Kassam probably charges us more for using the pitch at half time and playing music, if it meant giving that c**t less money I’d leave the ground at the end of the first half and come back in at the start of the second.

It’s great to hear that Negru did so well yesterday. I’ve never seen him play - does he show the composure to come forward with the ball and draw out attackers a la Dickie/McNally/Atkinson? Also is he quick?
He certainly was impressive. He made one progressive run so might be part of his game long-term but much more a traditional centre back yesterday. I watched the game with a knowledgeable neutral and he was pretty staggered that this was only his second full appearance. Overall we spent most of the match set up like an away side and our midfield was pretty ill-disciplined and uncertain so his maturity and good decision making stood out even more. He'll no doubt make plenty of mistakes as he learns against better opposition but looks a top prospect so far.

Personally I thought it was poor that we felt the need to waste time with 10+mins remaining against a poor/average team in Carlisle at home.

I know the reasons why e.g. first win and all that, and could accept it more if we were playing Man City in the Cup leading 1-0 or were constantly under the cosh, but as Carlisle were poor/not really offering anything I was sort of embarrassed by it, especially at home. Also, not very entertaining, especially as these extra minutes have now been put in place so that fans don’t feel short changed!!
The fact that we spent the 8 mins of added time time wasting said it all.

Should like to think they'd encourage themselves to move on if they are not fit or good enough for the squad let alone the team. Though outgoings wd mean academy team loans too.

You’d like to think that players just want to play and will look for another club if they’re not in the manager’s plan.

However when the previous incumbent has dished out long expensive contracts to ageing/injured/ players,
perhaps they’re not that motivated to do so.

The current manager’s hands are tied somewhat, it’s going to time to sort out, but I’m hopeful that Manning is building and planning for the future (aka Mapp) rather than a s**t or bust ‘instant’ fix.

Personally I thought it was poor that we felt the need to waste time with 10+mins remaining against a poor/average team in Carlisle at home.

I know the reasons why e.g. first win and all that, and could accept it more if we were playing Man City in the Cup leading 1-0 or were constantly under the cosh, but as Carlisle were poor/not really offering anything I was sort of embarrassed by it, especially at home. Also, not very entertaining, especially as these extra minutes have now been put in place so that fans don’t feel short changed!!

I didn’t like the time wasting in the corner routine much either, especially at home, and there was still a fair bit of time left in the match.
Sort of understandable though, needing to get the first win of the season under our belts.

Shows that Manning can be quite pragmatic, he’s not totally fixed to how he wants his team to play as was seen at the end of last season.

We won and that was all that was needed. But I have to say the forwards need a lot of work. Yes they had lots of shots. But only three on target. And two of those were straight at the goalkeeper.
In the second half hey did run the Carlisle defense ragged and time and again broke through on goal. And time after time the final pass was bloody awful. They shot when they should have passed and passed whn hey should have shot.
However that is the sort of problem that will sort itself out with time and working together

Not expecting too much from the next two matches. But hope for a big improvement in teamwork.

The 8 minutes of additional time was far from pretty but we kept the ball for 95% of the time, 95 yards from their goal and also created a chance that Mills nearly scored from.

Imagine the reaction if we were playing nice pretty football all around the pitch and got done with a goal on the break?

We had loads of people saying on here and across social media that it was a must win game, so I'm not sure why there is now criticism for doing what was needed to close it out and win the game. I hope that we don't see that tactic used too often, mainly because I hope we have a 2 or 3 goal buffer in other games, but it's good to know that we can win ugly when needed.

It’s great to hear that Negru did so well yesterday. I’ve never seen him play - does he show the composure to come forward with the ball and draw out attackers a la Dickie/McNally/Atkinson? Also is he quick?

Closer to McNally than the other two, not so much a ball playing defender though but more an actual out and out proper defender with McNally like physicality and decent pace, actually looks like he could be the best “defender” we have had at the club for years as a long with his physical attributes I thought he showed he has the ability to read the game and snuff out danger, we will either build the defence around him in the next couple of years or he will be snapped up by a higher division club, but injuries aside, he looks a real prospect to me.

Closer to McNally than the other two, not so much a ball playing defender though but more an actual out and out proper defender with McNally like physicality and decent pace, actually looks like he could be the best “defender” we have had at the club for years as a long with his physical attributes I thought he showed he has the ability to read the game and snuff out danger, we will either build the defence around him in the next couple of years or he will be snapped up by a higher division club, but injuries aside, he looks a real prospect to me.
Looks fantastic with his shirt off, too.

Yes we broke through on many occasions we are going to have a few days when everything aligns and there will be some great days without doubt. But alot of frustrating days as well we are still stuck with some expensive players we need gone. Karl is going to have his brilliant last two transfer windows still causing havoc for time to come.

I’d keep brown left back I think if we had two attacking wingbacks we would struggle defence with Moore’s pace should of got a known attacking right back fin Stevens didn’t impress me

If this picture is current, Murphy does appear to be on holiday. Can't make a player leave, will he collect his wage without playing for it?

Screenshot_20230813_113401_Instagram.jpg

Back
Top Bottom