Away Match Day Thread 02/04/2022 L1: Plymouth Argyle v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this won’t be well received, but I don’t think either of our goalkeepers are up to it. Neither dominated the box and deter crosses. Distribution is poor from both and communication is an issue. I’ve seen so many better goalies than ours this year. Both of ours get beaten from range, especially across the body. Maybe it’s the coaching and that should be looked at?

‘arguably the best starting 11 in the league’

are you drunk?
Controversial but I would say Branagan, Baldock,Mc Nally and Browne are the only four good enough for the Championship starting eleven

Before I get shot down I would say Sykes, Taylor, Moore Stevens and Long would be in the squad

I love Matty Taylor but his record at Bristol was 7 goals in 70 games

I know this won’t be well received, but I don’t think either of our goalkeepers are up to it. Neither dominated the box and deter crosses. Distribution is poor from both and communication is an issue. I’ve seen so many better goalies than ours this year. Both of ours get beaten from range, especially across the body. Maybe it’s the coaching and that should be looked at?

None of ours are at the same level as Plymouth's GK that's for sure.

One season in the Premiership, and Luton's stadium situation will basically be sorted. Just set aside 50% of the TV money at that level, and you'll have enough for sparkly 20,000 all seater (as long as you can find a site for it). Sign of the absurd financial disparity in the current game.

As for us.....I would say that if we do finish 7-8th this season, that's par all things considered. Given our budget, that's right around where we should finish. Not cause for celebration, but not an abject failure either.

But it's still all within our control, and our capabilities to get into the playoffs.

Problem is that we've really only played well once in the past five games (against a dreadful Burton side that are in freefall). In our last three games, the pattern has been the same - come out of the traps strong, but then decidedly second best for the last hour. We got a fortunate win against the Shrews, a lucky point against Ipswich but nothing yesterday.

Need to change it up again now because the Sykes/Williams wingback experiment is not working. Good players both, but they're not getting forward enough and they're liabilities defensively when they get pushed back towards their own goals (as they have been in each of the past three games).
We either need to switch personnel and play Forde/Seddon there, or revert to 4-3-3.
Will they even be allowed in the premier with that stadium

That would of been alright 3 seasons ago before Covid hit when our squad nearly got promoted. Since then league one has got stronger and you already have to be championship quality to get out this league. Rotherham, Wigan and Mk dons our next level in my opinion. We still have a chance of making the play offs but I can't see us being promoted this season.
Completely agree with most of what you say. My question would be what is it about MK Dons that you think is championship quality? At their place, they absolutely dominated us first half, but second half they couldn’t get out of their own box. As I say, don’t disagree, just interested whether you have watched/kept up with them more than me!!

I would also expect Rotherham to come straight back down. We held a full strength side with 10 out with COVID and Sutton held their own today! Wigan will be fine when they win the league

None of ours are at the same level as Plymouth's GK that's for sure.
Only 22 also. Another with sensible recruitment behind them. Both MK and Plymouth doing smart things. Interesting to note this also extends beyond the first team and to the manager/Head Coach also. Something for us to consider for the future - if KR was to leave at any point, who would come in? In Manning and Schumacher both clubs have recruited a coach with a similar play style (although Manning has slightly moved away from the endless passing of Martin).

Having a defined playing style, recruiting into that both from a Head coach and player perspective imperative to making it out of the league. Worth looking into the Sporting Director (also Head of recruitment) at MK, Liam Sweeting. An impressive guy that has done great things!

Have gone off on a tangent, but Cooper was very good yesterday.

Completely agree with most of what you say. My question would be what is it about MK Dons that you think is championship quality? At their place, they absolutely dominated us first half, but second half they couldn’t get out of their own box. As I say, don’t disagree, just interested whether you have watched/kept up with them more than me!!

I would also expect Rotherham to come straight back down. We held a full strength side with 10 out with COVID and Sutton held their own today! Wigan will be fine when they win the league

For Mk they were missing Twine and Eisa when we played them and have also strengthened in January. Hence why they have been consistently good since January.

Rotherham should of won at ours and had a hat full of chances including hitting the post 2 or 3 times If I remember.

I keep an eye out on a lot of what other teams do in this league and the table doesn't lie. Wigan and MK both gave squads too good for league one, Rotherham while don't have as good of a team going forward they don't concede hardly any goals a bit like Plymouth and are good at grinding results out. Us , Sheffield wed, Sunderland and Wycombe just aren't on the same level as the other 4 especially defensively.

For Mk they were missing Twine and Eisa when we played them and have also strengthened in January. Hence why they have been consistently good since January.

Rotherham should of won at ours and had a hat full of chances including hitting the post 2 or 3 times If I remember.

I keep an eye out on a lot of what other teams do in this league and the table doesn't lie. Wigan and MK both gave squads too good for league one, Rotherham while don't have as good of a team going forward they don't concede hardly any goals a bit like Plymouth and are good at grinding results out. Us , Sheffield wed, Sunderland and Wycombe just aren't on the same level as the other 4 especially defensively.
All very fair! Looking forward to the MK game at home.

It’s more worrying that Stevens was unable to sustain the level required.

Controversial but I would say Branagan, Baldock,Mc Nally and Browne are the only four good enough for the Championship starting eleven

Before I get shot down I would say Sykes, Taylor, Moore Stevens and Long would be in the squad

I love Matty Taylor but his record at Bristol was 7 goals in 70 games
Couldn’t agree more, we need better!

I can’t believe the biggest talking point of the game has yet to be mentioned!

The confiscation of the blow up woman in the away end, yet I saw a kid with one in the Argyle stand on the right 🤣

Still can’t believe Gavin missed that chance
Not sure if it was a bad miss or an amazing save, but felt it was more the latter.

I also feel that when we score early on we tend to sit back and allow teams to attack us, especially away from home, so not sure what sort of impact it would have had.

Personally I was disappointed with our lack lustre performance in the 2nd half and the lack of energy we seemed to have throughout the squad. Even Sykes was off the boil with his normal energy to the point that he was struggling to keep up with one of their players on the ball 10-15mins from the end of the game. Also, we’ve heard many times on how difficult things can be when we’ve had back to back games e.g. Tuesday/Saturday, but actually thought we looked worse after having a 2 week break.

Some of our players looked like they were trudging through treacle e.g. Brown, Henry, Winnall, McGuane (after 55mins), Bodin and like I said, Sykes.

Didn’t understand the substitutions either, especially taking Williams off who seemed one of the more energetic ones yesterday. And we all knew bringing Winnall on wouldn’t bear any fruits.

Need a win Tuesday to get back on track and another one on Saturday, but fearing the worst after the last 2 lack lustre performances overall.

Last edited:
Sykes is wasted at the back. Always miss CB we were unlucky to lose I thought. Typically the highlights didnt show the offside penalty situation.

Is there any cavalry coming back ie Moore Baldock or Browne?

Sykes is wasted at the back. Always miss CB we were unlucky to lose I thought. Typically the highlights didnt show the offside penalty situation.
Well his (Sykes's) goals seem to have now dried up under the current system. Is it a dip in form or due to him playing a more defensive role?... An educated guess would suggest the latter. Also on the McGuane argument. He barely touched the ball 2nd half and couldn't get into the game. Made one good pass as i remember, then was taken off. No point getting too frustrated though, on another day we win that game.

If we make the playoffs, we will definitely need to up the performance level or it'll be Blackpool revisited...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom