Away Match Build Up 02/04/2022 L1: Plymouth Argyle v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malc

Staff member
Some rest days for our lads now. But then a very hard match against a strong Plymouth outfit.
Fortunately Plymouth like to play football and are most definitely not a bus parking crowd. That suits us just fine..
Hopefully some of our wounded are back up and running. Then maybe we can get back to 3 at the back.
Anybody any updates on the injuries?

Some rest days for our lads now. But then a very hard match against a strong Plymouth outfit.
Fortunately Plymouth like to play football and are most definitely not a bus parking crowd. That suits us just fine..
Hopefully some of our wounded are back up and running. Then maybe we can get back to 3 at the back.
Anybody any updates on the injuries?

Plymouth have two games before we play them too (albeit with a weeks’ rest) so hopefully a bit of extra tiredness and injury niggles for them!

we'll sell out our away allocation in advance
close game.... but we do owe them a beating for the home game early this season
if we're firing on all cylinders reckon we'll nick all 3 points

Im working in Exeter that weekend, there's a few green army acquaintances who will be at the weekender, as Im not playing (DJing) Saturday afternoon ( Fri night, sat night & Sun afternoon Im told), I'll be going to Home park - and back with them, all going in the one people carrier, and I'll be sitting with them at the game too ( behaving meself of course)

Want an Oxford away win so I can have this ( below) as the backdrop for my sat night DJ set at Rythm Soul & Funk weekender

20211110_220636 (2).jpg

6 votes - split 2 2 2 .............. we aren`t certain! I`ve gone for a draw which will be pleasing.

After yesterdays results, this game is the definition of must win with Sunderland playing Gillingham and Wednesday playing AFCW. Anything less than 3 points looks like we'll drop out of the playoffs.

In my opinion, Plymouth were the best team I have seen us play this season so will be a really tough one. But if we are to be worthy of promotion we have to show that we can beat the best teams, and win under pressure.

Last edited:
After yesterdays results, this game is the definition of must win with Sunderland playing Gillingham and Wednesday playing AFCW. Anything less than 3 points looks like we'll drop out of the playoffs.

In my opinion, Plymouth were the best team I have seen us play this season so will be a really tough one. But if we are to be worthy of promotion we have to show that we can beat the best teams, and win under pressure.
If it was the last game of the season, sure.

Is it really a must win with 21 points still to play for? No.

Absolutely. The only "must win" game is when you need three points to prevent relegation.

Any other scenario can always be tempered with an "if"

Ideally it's a don't lose game rather than a must win. Plymouth have been in great form and were very good at our place. This will be a seriously tough test.

But if we're serious about promotion then not only should we looking to get something from this game, but we may well have to face them again in May so now is a good time to put a marker down.

Hopefully the rest this week has helped those who had been ill or had covid and will help get those injured closer to returning. On top of our Irish players having a confidence boost from being on International duty then this is as good a time as any to go into a huge week.

9 points from the next 3 and the playoffs could be the minimum we're after. 7 points and we're still in a strong position. 5 could well be enough, but less will be disappointing!

Absolutely. The only "must win" game is when you need three points to prevent relegation.

Any other scenario can always be tempered with an "if"
A defeat will certainly knock our chances and may dent the confidence of the fans. Though, thankfully the players and management seem to be made of sterner stuff than many of us (I can assure you that anyone travelling back with me on the train from Plymouth would be fed up of my black mood by Newton Abbott).

A win would take the pressure off the Morecambe game but anything else and a win there will be very important before the SAFC game following.

I want 7 points from the next 3 games but I think we will end up with 5 which I suppose isn't the end of the world if it stops team around us getting maximum points but will it be enough Plymouth are a decent team but on our day we can beat anyone in this league

If it was the last game of the season, sure.

Is it really a must win with 21 points still to play for? No.

In the sense that our promotion hopes will not be over with a loss, it is certainly not a must win.

But in terms of continuing to apply pressure to our promotion rivals, 3 of whom we still have to face after this, it would be a victory worth much more than just 3 points in my opinion.

Equally, a loss would feel more than 3 points dropped.

Psychologically, we need the win.

It’s a must-win* game.

* aside from all of the caveats about it not being a must-win.

I think a draw would keep us in the playoffs next Saturday unless Sunderland beat Gillingham 8-0!

Losing 6-0 would be fine if we won all our other games,of course.

I find it hard not to see us losing but if we start aggressively we can score against anyone

(4-3-3)

Stevens
Long McNally Moore Seddon
Sykes Kane Brannagan
Whyte Taylor Holland

Subs - Eastwood, Brown, Williams, Henry, McGuane, Bodin, Winnall​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom