Away Match Day Thread 02/04/2022 L1: Plymouth Argyle v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Half of our team were apparently running on fumes in the second half. A big reason why we lost. Not so great considering this was our first game for a fortnight.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the level of Covid we’ve had in the camp over the season is something to do with this.

Brannagan’s level of general fitness appears to be double that of McGuane. It would be interesting to see the stats but guess there are confidentiality issues.

Fingers crossed CamBran and Moore start tomorrow night.
We've generally been very fit in the last two or three seasons. Covid may be a factor here but we seem to do better when we get into a routine, and are often a bit dozy after a break.

Half of our team were apparently running on fumes in the second half. A big reason why we lost. Not so great considering this was our first game for a fortnight.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the level of Covid we’ve had in the camp over the season is something to do with this.

Brannagan’s level of general fitness appears to be double that of McGuane. It would be interesting to see the stats but guess there are confidentiality issues.

Fingers crossed CamBran and Moore start tomorrow night.
Hold on a minute
How many times have we come back and scored late goals this season
Portsmouth, Sheffield W, Ipswich Shrewsbury all recent examples so let’s not think our lads don’t have the stamina
It could be missing a game had the opposite effect and rather than thinking we should be fitter perhaps that cost us
As for Mc Guane he has hardly played a full game all season, let’s look at his work rate and performance after 5/6 starts and constant 90 mins under his belt

Were you at the game on Saturday? We were swept aside physically in the second half. It was alarming. Now, of course it’s not helpful if your best midfielder, best forward and best defender are all out. However, Plymouth had several injuries as well.

As for McGuane, he’s had plenty of time to fix a regular starting place. From my view he’s not mobile enough and he doesn’t get involved enough. Being fair, his first half performance was his best of the season. (That chance he created for Bodin was top drawer. ) But second half he completely disappeared. I’d go as far to say it was embarrassingly bad.

Of course we want him to succeed he’s on a three year deal. But he’s not really cut it to date has he?

I was at the game. You're right, after half-time it was a total eclipse of midfield. And it really exposed the poverty of our defense, or the wing/full-back situation. Williams, being a fairly intelligent player, made a fist of it most of the time but poor Sykes was totally exposed although IMO he got less support from McNally than Williams got from Brown, I wish we had their 3rd choice left back. I wish we had a left back, or a right back, or both.

Pretty good first half but on balance they deserved the win. Our only players who performed well in their positions were Eastwood, Long and I suppose Kane, McGuane was very good in the first half, but was like a rag doll in the second. Why the fuck wasn't Forde on and Sykes moved into midfield? Substitutions pointless.

Very disappointing. However the day was saved by the best UK Thai meal by a mile since I stopped going to Oli's. Not saying where as I'm hoping we'll be in the same league as them next season. Which would be tough on them.

easiest game they will win all season.
I didn't go but listened on RO and this amazes me.
From what I heard/ read, we had a definite penalty turned down and their keeper made 2 excellent saves all at 0 0.
They had 1 shot on target in the whole game.

They have had a number of 3 0 and 4 0/ 4 1 wins this season, so was that a serious post or a bit of a wind up ( or do you think it would have been an easier game than 4 0 v Accrington, 3 0 v Bolton and many more?)

Were you at the game on Saturday? We were swept aside physically in the second half. It was alarming. Now, of course it’s not helpful if your best midfielder, best forward and best defender are all out. However, Plymouth had several injuries as well.

As for McGuane, he’s had plenty of time to fix a regular starting place. From my view he’s not mobile enough and he doesn’t get involved enough. Being fair, his first half performance was his best of the season. (That chance he created for Bodin was top drawer. ) But second half he completely disappeared. I’d go as far to say it was embarrassingly bad.

Of course we want him to succeed he’s on a three year deal. But he’s not really cut it to date has he?
Mcguane doesn't seem to be a 90 minute player.
It seems to me that he can be oretty good for half a game but then fades.
His injuries can't help, but I do wonder whether he will ever be a 90 minute player for us?

Mcguane doesn't seem to be a 90 minute player.
It seems to me that he can be oretty good for half a game but then fades.
His injuries can't help, but I do wonder whether he will ever be a 90 minute player for us?
he was influential for the first half no question, probably one of the best performances from MM in a yellow shirt ..... second half sadly he was like a different player , not even a shadow of his first half self

its one thing being fit, match fit ( capable of delivering for 90 + mins) is something completely different. Would additional staying power be built up from regular starts in a run of games, or is MM always going to be limited in the stamina he has?

he was influential for the first half no question, probably one of the best performances from MM in a yellow shirt ..... second half sadly he was like a different player , not even a shadow of his first half self

its one thing being fit, match fit ( capable of delivering for 90 + mins) is something completely different. Would additional staying power be built up from regular starts in a run of games, or is MM always going to be limited in the stamina he has?
He's quite a unit, surely he can develop better fitness, though it might take till next season. He's been very disappointing for me, has contributed only little bits despite his obvious talent and the promise of last season.

correct me if i'm wrong but those talking about strange subs, has Holland delivered not only crucial goals but set others up too?

As for Plymouth deserved to win don't make me laugh, they were workmanlike nothing more or less they just scored a decent goal whilst we missed our chances that's football

He's quite a unit, surely he can develop better fitness, though it might take till next season. He's been very disappointing for me, has contributed only little bits despite his obvious talent and the promise of last season.
his quality and ability are evident, fitness and stamina however I agree isn't perhaps as stong as it should/ could be

correct me if i'm wrong but those talking about strange subs, has Holland delivered not only crucial goals but set others up too?

As for Plymouth deserved to win don't make me laugh, they were workmanlike nothing more or less they just scored a decent goal whilst we missed our chances that's football
Ive not mentioned subs - or Holland?.... nor have I said, anywhere on this thread, Plymouth deserved to win ?.... but for a couple of decent saves by Cooper , and a shitty , horrendously wrong decision by that f'kin lino, we would've gone in 1 maybe 2 up at HT... and I reckon come back with at least a point if not the win

was your reply aimed at another post @horseman ?

Ive not mentioned subs - or Holland?.... nor have I said, anywhere on this thread, Plymouth deserved to win ?.... but for a couple of decent saves by Cooper , and a shitty , horrendously wrong decision by that f'kin lino, we would've gone in 1 maybe 2 up at HT... and I reckon come back with at least a point if not the win

was your reply aimed at another post @horseman ?
yes soz @Sarge i'm off off Specsavers😄😄

Update local Specsavers don't sell bread or milk it was all i needed today 😆😆

Once again McGuane gets singled out for criticism when he was one of our best players in the first half and no worse than a host of others in the second half. Strange
Just think he doesn't have much credit in the bank. Thought Sykes had a right old stinker, one of those games where nothing went right for him, but he's been so solid most of this season happy to think of it as a blip rather than anything else.

McGuane looked good at the tailend of his spell before the long injury but I've not seen him have a really good game since. Patches here and there yes, and appreciative he's not really had any kind of run in the side. He just looks a couple of yards slower than everyone around him.

How many times have we come back and scored late goals this season
Portsmouth, Sheffield W, Ipswich Shrewsbury all recent examples so let’s not think our lads don’t have the stamina
It could be missing a game had the opposite effect and rather than thinking we should be fitter perhaps that cost us
As for Mc Guane he has hardly played a full game all season, let’s look at his work rate and performance after 5/6 starts and constant 90 mins under his belt

Agree, MM is this seasons target for all criticism for some reason.
You can’t expect someone to prove themselves as a worthy replacement for the leagues best central midfielder in one game when they’ve been on the bench all season because of that midfielder, judging their match fitness and stamina after a season of 15-minute cameos.
Some players seem to be untouchable when it comes to criticism so the same old people get it every game.

You can’t expect someone to prove themselves as a worthy replacement for the leagues best central midfielder in one game when they’ve been on the bench all season because of that midfielder, judging their match fitness and stamina after a season of 15-minute cameos.
Some players seem to be untouchable when it comes to criticism so the same old people get it every game.
Par for the course after a defeat, it's rarely constructive criticism. Sykes, Long,Eastwood, Seddon to name just 4 that have been placed on the naughty spot at various times through the season

Let's be honest here we have a decent squad, often acknowledged but that even comes into question (the depth of) after we fail to win a game of football.

Yes I did watch the game and you have missed my point entirely about having two weeks out and especially about Mc Guane, he was good for 55 minutes but please tell me when he last played a full game.?
Because of injury and then Branagan and Kane playing so well he hasn't had much of a chance. He was thrown in on Saturday after the freak accident to Branagan.Not sure if you’ve played football or not .I have ,and the most difficult thing to do after being out for a while is play 90 minutes. I think we will see the real Mc Guane after 5/6 games playing a full game.

Exactly

I didn't go but listened on RO and this amazes me.
From what I heard/ read, we had a definite penalty turned down and their keeper made 2 excellent saves all at 0 0.
They had 1 shot on target in the whole game.

They have had a number of 3 0 and 4 0/ 4 1 wins this season, so was that a serious post or a bit of a wind up ( or do you think it would have been an easier game than 4 0 v Accrington, 3 0 v Bolton and many more?)
This was 100% Genuine - The second half we did absolutely nothing apart from chase shadows. I love what KR does for the club but we are still allowed to criticise him and his team - If we get play offs we will get shown up again like we did against Blackpool imo. Didnt address the problems in Jan, Browne the centre half isnt good enough and Browne is out injured again. Need sykes futher up the pitch wasted.

McGuane looked good at the tailend of his spell before the long injury but I've not seen him have a really good game since. Patches here and there yes, and appreciative he's not really had any kind of run in the side. He just looks a couple of yards slower than everyone around him.

If we look back to last season, in the early going McGuane was pretty awful. I remember thinking "Barcelona signed this guy from Arsenal? Really?"

But then he got a run in the side as we played a settled midfield three of Gorrin, Cam & him.....and in the month before he got injured, he looked a real player. He's strong, physical, can drive forward with the ball and has good vision and a great range of passing.

Problem is, we're much stronger in midfield this year, and have a lot more options for his position. So if he needs a half dozen regular games to get up to speed.....well, he's never going to get that. Too many other good players are going to be starting ahead of him.

I don't know if it's a fitness thing, a training thing, a psychological thing or whatever, but McGuane needs to work out how to play up to his talent level on a more regular basis. Otherwise, he's already signed his last big contract in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom