Away Match Day Thread 02/04/2022 L1: Plymouth Argyle v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
no it's not, if we win Tuesday we can draw with Sunderland and then it's them again who have to keep winning

But technically it would still be out of our hands if this was the case.

Beat them on Saturday and Sunderland can’t catch us if we keep winning too.

Chances are we will all slip up again along the way.

Its going to the wire 🤪

I agree, and sometimes wonder if others see the same game I watch.
He was completely shagged though, and Camara had already started putting his stamp on the game by then. Taking him off for Winnall was daft, mind.

He was completely shagged though, and Camara had already started putting his stamp on the game by then. Taking him off for Winnall was daft, mind.

2 games running our players look fatigued in the second half compared to Ipswich and Plymouth. Certainly need to work on fitness side in training.

If fitness is a concern, it comes back to making the most of opportunities when you are on top of the game early on.

Plenty of chances to make it very hard for Plymouth even if we started to flag later on.

To give ourselves a sporting chance, we have to make these early opportunities count for the remainder of the season

Oh come on, Sheff Wed and Sunderland scored very late goals yesterday the same as we had done previously.

As for playing and still are playing like they wont drop many points I point you towards Sunderland, teams like them and Wednesday have far more pressure than us and now they have to keep performing results wise.

Yesterdays result has changed nothing we still have things in our own hands.
Those two teams are obviously under less pressure now as they are the ones sitting in the promotion places and we are not, so clearly we are under increasing pressure which we currently cannot handle.
Equally, as to keep performing results wise, these teams and others are doing this and we are not, as the table shows, dropping from 4th to 7th, with Wycombe on our shoulder.
Clearly we all want the same thing, and I'll still be making the 600+ mile round trip tomorrow night, but now becomes a must win game.
kr must cut out the hoofball that seems to creep in to our play.

Let’s get some perspective here
We have just been beaten by a team which will finish fourth this season and we limited them to one shot on target
If we had taken our chances it would have been different and don’t forget we had four key players out
This season we have been spoilt we have played some great football and seen exiting matches
I think we will end up with 77/78 points which would see us comfortably in the playoffs most seasons but I fear won’t be enough this year
I have no criticism of KR other than we needed more defensive cover
I think the fans should be proud of what we have achieved whether we make the playoffs or not and more importantly the Board will see this a good season and if we don’t go up they will back KR with more players next season
Let’s not be negative and remember not so long ago we were in the Conference
If the board see no play offs as a good season, after kr has had the full backing he was craving, along with us having sat pretty in 4th, in charge of our own destination, I would be seriously worried.

…."not so long ago we were in the Conference." And before that we were in the Southern League, it's called progress, and having been in this league for a few years we have gone from survivors to having been in the two previous play offs, progress. To not achieve that this year with a vastly improved budget and calibre of squad, would be a retrograde step.

The board are running a business about to Invest multi millions on a championship quality stadium, needing a championship quality team, not division 1.

Oxford United fans shouldn't have to expect second best at the end of a season that promised so much, and stand on the quayside waving the play off boat off into the sunset and "be proud of what we have achieved whether we make the playoffs or not." To make the play offs would not be acceptable.

If the board see no play offs as a good season, after kr has had the full backing he was craving, along with us having sat pretty in 4th, in charge of our own destination, I would be seriously worried.

…."not so long ago we were in the Conference." And before that we were in the Southern League, it's called progress, and having been in this league for a few years we have gone from survivors to having been in the two previous play offs, progress. To not achieve that this year with a vastly improved budget and calibre of squad, would be a retrograde step.

The board are running a business about to Invest multi millions on a championship quality stadium, needing a championship quality team, not division 1.

Oxford United fans shouldn't have to expect second best at the end of a season that promised so much, and stand on the quayside waving the play off boat off into the sunset and "be proud of what we have achieved whether we make the playoffs or not." To make the play offs would not be acceptable.
That’s your opinion which I respect but every time we’ve been promoted (and Ive supported the Yellows since 66 ) we have had a squad which could hold its own in the division above. We don’t have that this season. We are good enough for top 6 but that is with a fit squad and no injuries.
Gorrin is the player we have missed most

That’s your opinion which I respect but every time we’ve been promoted (and Ive supported the Yellows since 66 ) we have had a squad which could hold its own in the division above. We don’t have that this season. We are good enough for top 6 but that is with a fit squad and no injuries.
Gorrin is the player we have missed most
Tbf Aldo if we were to go up this season it will require almost a complete change of players to have some chance of staying in the championship, and I think this board would back the manager financially if we were.

McGuane absolutely deserved the hook. After playing promisingly in the first half he then faded into abject anonymity.

Don’t think he’s ever played a strong 90 minutes. He has all the tools but sadly he doesn’t use them.
Was intending to say I agree with this to some extent - certainly he had faded badly , although he was far from alone in that - as well as the other players taken off, both Taylor & Sykes were poor yesterday and could have had no complaints if they had been hooked instead (though Taylor must know how unlikely that is given the (lack of) competition for his place in the team

Was quite shocked to see Sykes & Taylor given 7 & 6 out of 10 on here - serious shades of rose tinted glasses on both

Generally, the game was far below the expected level from both teams - Plymouth were far from impressive themselves, particularly in the first half - being brutally honest, neither are really ready for the Championship and would probably do a Peterborough

Tbf Aldo if we were to go up this season it will require almost a complete change of players to have some chance of staying in the championship, and I think this board would back the manager financially if we were.

That would of been alright 3 seasons ago before Covid hit when our squad nearly got promoted. Since then league one has got stronger and you already have to be championship quality to get out this league. Rotherham, Wigan and Mk dons our next level in my opinion. We still have a chance of making the play offs but I can't see us being promoted this season.

That would of been alright 3 seasons ago before Covid hit when our squad nearly got promoted. Since then league one has got stronger and you already have to be championship quality to get out this league. Rotherham, Wigan and Mk dons our next level in my opinion. We still have a chance of making the play offs but I can't see us being promoted this season.
Sad to say but I make this right - we arguably have a good enough attacking force but the defence is currently nowhere near good enough as 50 goals already conceded clearly attests to

Have said this before earlier in the season Bazzer
We have 5/6 players good enough but I see us as a Peterborough type team rather than a Blackpool

24 hours on and having time to digest this weekends results, I can’t help but feel a little deflated. We are a good team we have good players, we arguably have the best starting 11 in the league. I still have hope and belief that we can make the playoffs, but why do we do it the hard way.

Have said this before earlier in the season Bazzer
We have 5/6 players good enough but I see us as a Peterborough type team rather than a Blackpool
It just depends who we’d sign. We wouldn’t go into battle with Ryan Williams at left back and Winnall up front (hopefully). You only need to finish fourth from bottom and there’s usually some lame duck down there.

24 hours on and having time to digest this weekends results, I can’t help but feel a little deflated. We are a good team we have good players, we arguably have the best starting 11 in the league. I still have hope and belief that we can make the playoffs, but why do we do it the hard way.

‘arguably the best starting 11 in the league’

are you drunk?

I thought we played quite well especially in the first half, we carved out plenty of chances, but couldn’t finish them. The Plymouth goalkeeper made a terrific stop with his foot. I think if that went in, the the outcome would of been different.

If we had to face them in the Playoffs over two legs, I’d be quietly confident!

My two Birmingham City fans enjoyed the day out, and said it made a refreshing change to see two teams play, rather than kick it and run at St Andrew’s every other week.

Next game against Sunderland is absolutely massive. If we lose that, then I fear our season could be over.

Oh I also thought Marcus McGuane played very well yesterday.
They should have know. What to expect if they went to the cup game v Argyle. That was 1 nil as well. 😇

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom