General Tim Williams

Was the chairman at the end of season ceremony? what a bloody ridiculous thing to be having when you've only just survived getting relegated how can you celebrate that
I’m really surprised at the timing of it. The season isn’t even finished yet! I don’t know about anyone else but I don’t want to survive by scraping through on goal difference. I want us to get to 50 points. That’s the target to aim for. There’s still a job to be done. And yet here we are with the players in their tuxedos patting each other on the back..?

Yet another case with us of ‘if there’s a right way and a wrong way to do things…’ and all that.

Why do we have the awards evening before the season has finished.

If we weren’t safe (still not mathematically safe, but highly unlikely to have a 16 goal swing!), how would having an event like this be viewed?

This event should be held/planned after the play offs have been completed. I know wishful thinking, but you never know.

At this point, I think I would just say to the board and marketing team that if they were going to f*ck up yet another thing, then do it by the end of the season so we can draw a line under it.

As for Pinky and Perky, I would be a happy man if they both went the second the final whistle goes after the last game. Pair of shysters that will only keep our club punching below our weight.

Why do we have the awards evening before the season has finished.

If we weren’t safe (still not mathematically safe, but highly unlikely to have a 16 goal swing!), how would having an event like this be viewed?

This event should be held/planned after the play offs have been completed. I know wishful thinking, but you never know.
I think most clubs have their awards before the last games of the season and they are arranged months in advance. Maybe it’s so players of the year winners can then be presented on the pitch before last home game depending on fixtures. From a quick Google search of a few teams now in a more perilous position than us, it looks like MK Dons and Reading both have theirs this Weds night. They may get cancelled I guess but if not imagine how supporters must feel a few days before such vital final weekends of the season.

I suppose it gives the clubs a final chance to thank sponsors etc… and players go on holiday quite often as soon as the season finishes and loanees go back etc…

For any team who have had a disastrous season, or been relegated etc… it does feel like a non event and some clubs must cancel them I’m sure.

Be interesting to know if any owners or board members attended ours last night.

Last edited:
I still don’t see a DOF as a big issue. The bigger issue is that we have a chairman that is never in the country. That for me is staggering!
For me there is a serious lack of football-related experience in the building. Nobody on the board has any that’s relevant. Liam Manning is only a few years in to his managerial career and Ed Waldron is a junior turning senior. There are not enough brains in that area and apart from anything else, we have a lot of work to do so the extra pair of hands would be useful. Doesn’t necessarily need that job title but it’s the obvious one.

One of the major problems that’s led to our demise was the amount of control handed to a manager. It worries me enormously that they don’t seem to want to change that model. Manning is obviously more fit for purpose but it doesn’t change the fact the board appear to have learned nothing from that experience.

Manning might be a wonderful choice for this model and it’ll all work out. But thinking about the club as a whole, what if he left or was poached? A DOF would at least ensure some continuity and help us plan around and beyond any manager so that we are not overly dependent on one person and if and when he goes, we have a proven blueprint for the next manager to step in to.

Not pointless at all for a club that wants sustained growth & success.

Last edited:
I think come the end of the season we’ll see a briefing regarding where it all went wrong this season. Obviously actions speak louder than words so I guess we’ll see if they’ve learnt anything over time.

On the transfer front we seem to be making all the right noises regarding learning from the mistakes of a previous windows, I think we’ll see soon enough on this one.

The clubs marketing has been a shambles for a long time now. Adam Benson was appointed as new head of marketing not too long ago and comes here very highly rated, I don’t think we’ve seen any real changes yet though, weather he’s rebuilding his team behind the scenes or we just haven’t seen the changes come to fruition yet I’m not sure, the least we can expect is a proper season ticket campaign this year right? I’m sure there’s people much better placed than myself to know if any real changes have already been made.

As for Grant and Tim well I’m not sure I trust Tim to be ruthless enough as the KR fiasco showed then again how much say does he actually have? Grant Ferguson seems to have a bit more leadership about him but how much time does he actually give to OUFC he’s clearly out the country most of the time, I really would prefer our chairman to be more hands on.

How did the goal of the season get decided?

Given that Tyler won it for a goal on Saturday, I’m assuming the club just plucked a song out rather than any kind of vote?

Given that Tyler won it for a goal on Saturday, I’m assuming the club just plucked a song out rather than any kind of vote?
They ran a poll on Twitter I believe, obviously Tyler’s goal wasn’t in it at the time so I guess they decided to give it to him?

As for Grant and Tim well I’m not sure I trust Tim to be ruthless enough as the KR fiasco showed then again how much say does he actually have? Grant Ferguson seems to have a bit more leadership about him but how much time does he actually give to OUFC he’s clearly out the country most of the time, I really would prefer our chairman to be more hands on.
Can’t get on board with that. Especially after the Cambridge defeat when people were absolutely apoplectic, and he was quietly liking tweets about Karl Robinson saying he was the man to take the club forward. He’s also done nothing but dodge his own promises to meet fans before the end of the season.

Be interesting to know if any owners or board members attended ours last night.
Some did, but it looks like the club has made sure that barely any images are available from the night, and that those on display feature playing staff only.

It was “decided on the night” apparently.

The question i’d like answering is what agents did the club use in bringing ‘talent’ to
the club in recent years and did our ex manager have any sort of sort of link with such agents.

Trying to decode the meaning.

In the past Award winners have (completely coincidentally) been given to those we wish to boost value on.

Wouldn’t have thought we’re looking to do so with TG (yet) and I don’t think the club has the transfer strategy in any case to do something like this right now.

A feel-good winner then perhaps to lift the mood in the room (and also, there wasn’t much competition across the season!)

Nothing against this goal winning. Just trying to work out the club’s logic (or lack thereof).

In the past Award winners have (completely coincidentally) been given to those we wish to boost value on.

Wouldn’t have thought we’re looking to do so with TG (yet) and I don’t think the club has the transfer strategy in any case to do something like this right now.

A feel-good winner then perhaps to lift the mood in the room (and also, there wasn’t much competition across the season!)

Nothing against this goal winning. Just trying to work out the club’s logic (or lack thereof).
I think they had to give it out to somebody so basically went “give it Tyler” after he scored a cracker the day before. I don’t think it goes much deeper than that.

O’Donkor won the YP award over him so maybe it also meant he didn’t walk away with nothing.

• React
Reactions: MJB
I think I saw someone say that Leeds fans were hijacking the public vote to spam for Bate at MK. Don’t think I’ve made that up. If that’s true the club may well have decided to ditch that and give it to Tyler (his FGR goal was definitely better than Bate’s admittedly decent strike at Dons)

I think those in attendance voted on a shortlist of four. There was a poll on Twitter last week where people could vote for the best goal out of 6, with 3 progressing to the awards evening. Tyler's must have been a late addition.

Can’t get on board with that. Especially after the Cambridge defeat when people were absolutely apoplectic, and he was quietly liking tweets about Karl Robinson saying he was the man to take the club forward. He’s also done nothing but dodge his own promises to meet fans before the end of the season.

Some did, but it looks like the club has made sure that barely any images are available from the night, and that those on display feature playing staff only.

I think those in attendance voted on a shortlist of four. There was a poll on Twitter last week where people could vote for the best goal out of 6, with 3 progressing to the awards evening. Tyler's must have been a late addition.
Spot on.
We voted at the dinner .

You only have to look at MK to see how a DOF could work
I’d probably take a look at Plymouth as well just to provide balance!

It’s a non-essential position but I think when you’ve lost your very experienced and knowledgable head of recruitment, replaced him with the understudy and selected a young, relatively unproven manager… Not to mention an incompetent CEO, you could make worse decisions than putting someone in there with know-how and a little black book that might open a few doors that would otherwise be locked to us in our current state. Leave Tim to his spreadsheets where he wants to be.

It may have gone unnoticed but it has been mentioned on a number of occasions about Faz being part of the recruitment team, and he certainly adds experience and an element of impartiality.

It may have gone unnoticed but it has been mentioned on a number of occasions about Faz being part of the recruitment team, and he certainly adds experience and an element of impartiality.
You’re right, it probably has gone unnoticed. Therein lies the problem, perhaps. Maybe we should veer away from cutting corners all the time and take on some of the ideas that work very effectively at other clubs. I’m not behind the scenes but this strikes me as a pretty obvious thing to discuss which could (note, not guaranteed) improve our football operation and make us a more effective club. I’m not just talking about players we sign, but managers too. If we are top by Christmas next season, Championship clubs will circle. Manning is running the show to a large degree so if he were to leave, so do all the ideas for the future. Does the club stop and go in the direction of the next manager? That’s the football club equivalent of sofa surfing. Or should we be saying ‘this is how we do it, it works, let’s find a manager that fits the profile’…

Back
Top Bottom