Ex-Staff Chris Williams Leaves

If he’s going to Oxford City, won’t their games clash with most of ours?

He will go from from watching us home and away to maybe a handful of games a season.

I don’t see anyone buy them, surely it’s a loss leader and stopping it makes sense
Martin Brodetsky did claim in the programme earlier this season that it makes a "small profit" so I would be surprised if it became on-line only next season.

Martin Brodetsky did claim in the programme earlier this season that it makes a "small profit" so I would be surprised if it became on-line only next season.
Yes it does. I have the figures somewhere, so I'll dig them up and post them on here. I'll also post a longish monologue about when Chris Williams set up an OUFC based business meeting for me with Glenn Hoddle.

Yes it does. I have the figures somewhere, so I'll dig them up and post them on here. I'll also post a longish monologue about when Chris Williams set up an OUFC based business meeting for me with Glenn Hoddle.
As long as there’s mention of the strapping young lad who connected you both to begin with.

I heard he went on to become television’s Claudia Winkleman.

Here are the programme figures from 2017 to 2021. The club did not provide any Management Accounts to shareholders in 2022 and I strongly suspect won't do so for the 2023 accounts, which they probably won't publish until the last possible moment at the end of this month.

2017 - Income £88,024 Costs £44,750 Profit £43,274
2018 - Income £63,282 Costs £38,289 Profit £24,993
2019 - Income £66,813 Costs £47,613 Profit £19,200
2020 - Income £59,626 Costs £46,619 Profit £13,007
2021 - Income £9,725 Costs £20,768 Loss £11,043

So, it's generally profitable (2021 was the Covid season, so no fans in attendance) but the numbers are small, and it's possibly a declining market. However, it's a product and a service, going back to the very beginnings of football, and a tradition that most fans appreciate and expect to see, so I can't see any logical reason to stop producing a hard copy programme.

If it is discontinued then it's another illustration that our current hierarchy are determined to ride roughshod over fans' wishes and drive yet another nail into our history and heritage.

Last edited:
So, here's the Glenn Hoddle story.

It was at the time when Ian Lenagan owned the club, but was looking to get out, probably 11 or 12 years ago now. Chris Williams contacted me, and said he'd had contact with Glenn Hoddle, who'd had a successful soccer school in Spain, associated with a professional club there (Jerez I think, but can't remember exactly) but had moved it back to England and wanted to create a tie up with an English club, preferably a League Club. Chris asked, as I was friends with Stewart Donald, (who was interested in purchasing OUFC from Lenagan and the stadium from Kassam), would I be interested in setting up a meeting for me and Stewart with Hoddle?

I asked Stewart, and we both thought it was worth exploring further, and if nothing else came from it, it would probably still be an interesting meeting to have. It's not every day you get asked to set up a meeting with a footballing legend and ex England manager. So, I was given a mobile number to ring. It was really quite surreal. I rang the number, and the person answering it was quite clearly Glenn Hoddle and he answered by saying "Hello Colin, I've been expecting your call" It was unreal!

So I arranged things with Glenn, and Stewart and I met him at a hotel just outside Maidenhead. With him was a guy called Ian Duncanson, who was his Commercial Director, and in the vicinity were some of his coaches, (the soccer school had just finished training) including Dave Beasant and Graham Rix. Glenn was exactly as he is when you see him on the TV doing punditry work. Really easy going, friendly, and quite eloquent for a footballer.

He had done his homework on OUFC and knew all about the club, the stadium situation, and the off field set up. He also did an appraisal on our squad and claimed that four or five of his players were ready to go straight into our first team. He did identify that a certain Yorkshire football manager (Wilder) would be paranoid about any tie up and be convinced that Glenn was after his job! We talked through a few possibilities and it was decided that OUFC would be the ultimate perfect destination for the Glenn Hoddle Soccer School, but that it was not possible to tie a deal up at that time as none of us owned the club. However a longer term plan was put into place, that would involve Stewart buying a Conference, or Conference South, club within about a 50 mile radius of London, and the soccer school would then become a part of it. It needed to have the potential to grow and we identified a few possibles. I remember Woking being one of them. Once established, and if Stewart was able to buy OUFC, then the soccer school would move across to Oxford.

It was as a direct result of this meeting that Stewart eventually bought Eastleigh, although ironically they weren't one of the clubs we initially targeted. With further irony the GlennHoddle Soccer School never did move to Eastleigh either. I remember setting up another meeting with Stewart several years later, with some stadium architects that I knew, and Stewart joked "The last meeting you set up for me, Colin, ended up costing me about £10m!!!"

One last thing that was amusing, at the meeting, was that I said to Glenn that it might be a problem as he had worn the red shirt, in relation to his time as player manager with Swindon. He replied that he thought this might come up and joked "Well at least they got relegated after I left"

Thanks Chris for taking a risk at the time (his job would have definitely been under threat if Lenagan had found out) and for doing so in the best interests of OUFC. I've never told anyone other than my closest friends about the meeting, so as not to put Chris into a difficult situation, but now he's left OUFC feel it's time to share the story. Cheers mate, you'll be missed.

Last edited:
So what is the make-up of the media team now?

Communications Manager - TBC
Social Media Manager - Billy Lawrence
Programme Editor - Martin Brodetsky?

I know there was a chap doing an internship who did a lot of the matchday video content - no idea if he is still around.

Chris Williams and while back Liam Potter are big losses. Though Billy has been around the club a while now doing stuff for the women's team, and has been far more involved with first team socials and interviews since Liam left last season.
Assume Martin Brodetsky is still around but I don't get the programme so don't know seeing as they binned off The Preview Show on iFollow.
He's still listed on the website but then again so are Niall McWilliams and Harry Routledge.
Social media hasn’t been classed as “communications/media” for a while. Sits under marketing now

Not to go all conspiracy theory, but it wouldn’t surprise me if all club communications sat under marketing from now on. Great opportunity for the head of marketing to make themselves more important and have less heads of other departments question them in front of the board.

Not to go all conspiracy theory, but it wouldn’t surprise me if all club communications sat under marketing from now on. Great opportunity for the head of marketing to make themselves more important and have less heads of other departments question them in front of the board.
Well, what a surprise! Who'd have thought it. The behind the scenes consolidation goes on and on unhindered. Anyone gets in the way, they're gone.

No interview with Des on iFollow yet. I fully expect iFollow content will completely fall of an edge cliff now, it has been getting less and less as it was since Adam Benson and co have come in.

I normally buy a programme (and buy 50/50 tickets at the same time. I suspect that without the programme the 50/50 ticket sales will reduce.
I believe that there are already 5 to 6 L1 clubs that don't have programmers and it does seem to be the way that life us going in this digital world. Unfortunately for us old gits.

So, here's the Glenn Hoddle story.

It was at the time when Ian Lenagan owned the club, but was looking to get out, probably 11 or 12 years ago now. Chris Williams contacted me, and said he'd had contact with Glenn Hoddle, who'd had a successful soccer school in Spain, associated with a professional club there (Jerez I think, but can't remember exactly) but had moved it back to England and wanted to create a tie up with an English club, preferably a League Club. Chris asked, as I was friends with Stewart Donald, (who was interested in purchasing OUFC from Lenagan and the stadium from Kassam), would I be interested in setting up a meeting for me and Stewart with Hoddle?

I asked Stewart, and we both thought it was worth exploring further, and if nothing else came from it, it would probably still be an interesting meeting to have. It's not every day you get asked to set up a meeting with a footballing legend and ex England manager. So, I was given a mobile number to ring. It was really quite surreal. I rang the number, and the person answering it was quite clearly Glenn Hoddle and he answered by saying "Hello Colin, I've been expecting your call" It was unreal!

So I arranged things with Glenn, and Stewart and I met him at a hotel just outside Maidenhead. With him was a guy called Ian Duncanson, who was his Commercial Director, and in the vicinity were some of his coaches, (the soccer school had just finished training) including Dave Beasant and Graham Rix. Glenn was exactly as he is when you see him on the TV doing punditry work. Really easy going, friendly, and quite eloquent for a footballer.

He had done his homework on OUFC and knew all about the club, the stadium situation, and the off field set up. He also did an appraisal on our squad and claimed that four or five of his players were ready to go straight into our first team. He did identify that a certain Yorkshire football manager (Wilder) would be paranoid about any tie up and be convinced that Glenn was after his job! We talked through a few possibilities and it was decided that OUFC would be the ultimate perfect destination for the Glenn Hoddle Soccer School, but that it was not possible to tie a deal up at that time as none of us owned the club. However a longer term plan was put into place, that would involve Stewart buying a Conference, or Conference South, club within about a 50 mile radius of London, and the soccer school would then become a part of it. It needed to have the potential to grow and we identified a few possibles. I remember Woking being one of them. Once established, and if Stewart was able to buy OUFC, then the soccer school would move across to Oxford.

It was as a direct result of this meeting that Stewart eventually bought Eastleigh, although ironically they weren't one of the clubs we initially targeted. With further irony the GlennHoddle Soccer School never did move to Eastleigh either. I remember setting up another meeting with Stewart several years later, with some stadium architects that I knew, and Stewart joked "The last meeting you set up for me, Colin, ended up costing me about £10m!!!"

One last thing that was amusing, at the meeting, was that I said to Glenn that it might be a problem as he had worn the red shirt, in relation to his time as player manager with Swindon. He replied that he thought this might come up and joked "Well at least they got relegated after I left"

Thanks Chris for taking a risk at the time (his job would have definitely been under threat if Lenagan had found out) and for doing so in the best interests of OUFC. I've never told anyone other than my closest friends about the meeting, so as not to put Chris into a difficult situation, but now he's left OUFC feel it's time to share the story. Cheers mate, you'll be missed.
Colin, how close did Stewart come to buying OUFC?
Was Kassam a stumbling block?

No interview with Des on iFollow yet. I fully expect iFollow content will completely fall of an edge cliff now, it has been getting less and less as it was since Adam Benson and co have come in.
I have asked the question since it says available on text preview and a version is on youtube-this is just plain careless from someone unless there is a tech issue.

Colin, how close did Stewart come to buying OUFC?
Was Kassam a stumbling block?
It's probably one for Stewart to answer himself at some stage, but pretty close. He did, after all, go on to buy Eastleigh and then Sunderland.

The sticking point was the separate ownership of ground and club. As Stewart said at the time, if he bought the club first then Kassam would have him over a barrel knowing he wanted to buy the ground. If he bought the ground first, Lenagan would have him over a barrel knowing he wanted to buy the club. He even suggested setting up a Cayman Islands company, with me fronting it and him funding it, to buy the stadium and synchronising that with him purchasing the club, so that neither selling party was aware of the other one selling to the same people until it was too late. It was one of those ideas you have one evening, but soon realise it's not as simple as it sounds.

A further hurdle with the purchase of the club was that Lenagan said to Stewart that he (Stewart) would overpay to buy the club as he was a fan, just as Ian Lenagan had done to buy his boyhood club, Wigan Warriors. Stewart's reply was that he knew the value and would not overpay.

You would think after all these years your trolling would have got better Baldy but it hasn't, if anything it has got worse!

If you think writing a 9 lined article for someone who has done over 20 years service for the club, some of that during very dark and tough times is ok, then that says a lot about you as a person.

Although saying that, you're also the same person who said your son can't be gay because he likes sport (can't actually remember which sport you said that doesn't make you gay...).

Your obsession in trying to palm me off as another past forum member is quite ridiculous. Just discuss football rather than tie yourself in knots trying to give me a new identity. I've never been on this forum under another name, it's as clear and simple as that.

Here are the programme figures from 2017 to 2021. The club did not provide any Management Accounts to shareholders in 2022 and I strongly suspect won't do so for the 2023 accounts, which they probably won't publish until the last possible moment at the end of this month.

2017 - Income £88,024 Costs £44,750 Profit £43,274
2018 - Income £63,282 Costs £38,289 Profit £24,993
2019 - Income £66,813 Costs £47,613 Profit £19,200
2020 - Income £59,626 Costs £46,619 Profit £13,007
2021 - Income £9,725 Costs £20,768 Loss £11,043

So, it's generally profitable (2021 was the Covid season, so no fans in attendance) but the numbers are small, and it's possibly a declining market. However, it's a product and a service, going back to the very beginnings of football, and a tradition that most fans appreciate and expect to see, so I can't see any logical reason to stop producing a hard copy programme.

If it is discontinued then it's another illustration that our current hierarchy are determined to ride roughshod over fans' wishes and drive yet another nail into our history and heritage.

If it remains profitable, keep it. But iirc, we are one of the reducing number of clubs still doing a printed version. So if anything, should we keep it going then the club hierarchy will be bucking the trend.

That doesn't however mitigate in anyway the shitshow of the communication etc from the club's hierarchy.

I don't have any stats to back the above up but just from remembering articles I've read and anecdotal stuff.

Back
Top Bottom