Ex Player Sam Winnall

Gorrin has been injured for months, Karl decided not to get a replacement in January for him.

Still injured though isn’t he? We lost £3 million pounds last year, have a squad size limit on top of that so there will always be some concessions in squad building. No team at this level would not be weaker for having players of Browne, Baldock, Brannigan, Moore and Gorrin out.

Do you think he played well? Do you think he improved the team when he came on?

Literally not one person that I’ve seen has ‘blamed’ the defeat on him. Show me the post that says ‘Sam Winnall is the reason we lost to Plymouth’??

I didn't see the game, but I did see Winnall hassle the Ipswich defence in the last 10 minutes and contributed to us getting the corner that we scored from.

No one is saying that Sam Winnall is anywhere near the level we want or need. But it's a little embarrassing to rush to this thread within seconds of a defeat to criticise a 67th minute substitute.

Still injured though isn’t he? We lost £3 million pounds last year, have a squad size limit on top of that so there will always be some concessions in squad building. No team at this level would not be weaker for having players of Browne, Baldock, Brannigan, Moore and Gorrin out.

I understand they are all injured but the options we have to cover them aren't good enough.

Winnall
Hanson
Forde (to some extent as I don't see exactly see where he fits in)
Holland ( not consistent)

Then we have Williams and Sykes being played out of position as we don't have a back up left back or a back up right back.

Balance is all wrong.

Add in the fact that Mous is registered as a player, but only used very very sparingly *and* we had a spare place in the squad we didn't fill in January plus some fairly unfortunate long term injuries and it's not difficult to see why we are finding it hard at the moment.

I'm not convinced we can be too strident about Browne being out injured though - we signed him injured and it was always likely he was one for next season rather than this. And don't even get me started on why Ben Davis is a member of our first team squad!

I didn't see the game, but I did see Winnall hassle the Ipswich defence in the last 10 minutes and contributed to us getting the corner that we scored from.

No one is saying that Sam Winnall is anywhere near the level we want or need. But it's a little embarrassing to rush to this thread within seconds of a defeat to criticise a 67th minute substitute.
Take it from someone who was at the game, Winnall was just no good. He brought nothing to the game. It's a shame but he just isn't the player that he may once have been.

Take it from someone who was at the game, Winnall was just no good. He brought nothing to the game. It's a shame but he just isn't the player that he may once have been.
From someone at the game, how did Matty play? Barely heard his name mentioned on the radio.

I'm sorry but @Scotchegg not even you can put a positive spin on Sam winfuckall he offers nothing as a striker nobody has blamed him for today's defeat yes he might have come on against Ipswich and harrased the defence but what else did he do nothing as usual

He's this season's Jamie Mackie. Legs completely gone. But he doesn't wave his arms around as much as Mackie, and isn't quite as embarrassing. But it's a close call.

Embarrassing?

I calmly navigated to this thread after finishing watching the game, during which time I’d also commented on the main matchday thread on various topics as well. How long do I have to wait before commenting? If I’d posted the same an hour after the game would it have been ok with you?

I’m aware he was a substitute. I don’t understand why I’m not allowed to comment on his performance because of that? As I’ve said, I never once blamed the defeat on him. I was just making a point, on the Oxford forum, about one of the Oxford players who played today. I personally don’t find that ‘embarrassing’, but I suppose some people would find some of what you post embarrassing, some wouldn’t. That’s life I guess

Baldocks injury is what will ultimately cost us the playoffs. Him and Taylor were phenomenal and without doubt would have got at least a goal today. Taylor looks half the player since.

I don’t get this at all. Yes Baldock is a big miss, but we only signed him in January (possibly February)!! What about the 3/4 months prior to his arrival?? We looked a lot more threatening going forward with the 4-3-3 in my opinion. Seems like KR is the one to blame, not the loss of Baldock

I don’t get this at all. Yes Baldock is a big miss, but we only signed him in January (possibly February)!! What about the 3/4 months prior to his arrival?? We looked a lot more threatening going forward with the 4-3-3 in my opinion. Seems like KR is the one to blame, not the loss of Baldock
I think the point is every game we played in the new formation with Baldock and Taylor up front together, we looked very dangerous. Every game without Baldock we’ve not looked quite as good with two up top.

This, for me, sums up how poor Winnall is. I think you recently said how valuable his goal against Sheffield Wednesday, if you're picking out a goal scored 10 games ago or briefly hassling a defender then you're scraping the barrel. It reminds me of people standing by Hoban for months based on chesting a pass to Roofe who stuck a 25 yard volley in the top corner, or Obika laying a ball off on the halfway line a few passes before we scored away at some no hopers. If you're having to go back weeks or months for a bit of play that's contributed something positive then it's a pretty strong hint that that player isn't up to it.

This, for me, sums up how poor Winnall is. I think you recently said how valuable his goal against Sheffield Wednesday, if you're picking out a goal scored 10 games ago or briefly hassling a defender then you're scraping the barrel. It reminds me of people standing by Hoban for months based on chesting a pass to Roofe who stuck a 25 yard volley in the top corner, or Obika laying a ball off on the halfway line a few passes before we scored away at some no hopers. If you're having to go back weeks or months for a bit of play that's contributed something positive then it's a pretty strong hint that that player isn't up to it.

Obika was far better at OUFC than Winnall. And that’s saying something.

I think the point is every game we played in the new formation with Baldock and Taylor up front together, we looked very dangerous. Every game without Baldock we’ve not looked quite as good with two up top.

can’t disagree with that, but we were a pretty good team before Baldock. Seems like KR is having one of his stubborn stages. I mean we all said Seddon was more of a WB than a FB! Williams, as much as I like him, just isn’t a defender. I was guilty of thinking Whyte could do a job up top, but it’s quite clear he can’t

Back
Top Bottom