Current Player #10 Sam Baldock

The reality is that even with changes within our recruitment team, finding the right player at the right price isn't easy.

Let's look at strikers that have come in over the summer across the league.

Max Watters - previously at Barnsley.
Kyle Joseph - part of a bigger deal.
Dan Nlundulu - previously at Bolton
Jervani Brown - 1 in 5 goals per game
Cole Stockton - 1 in 4 (and only one outstanding season)
Alfie May - decent signing
Conor Washington - on his last legs
Joe Piggot - not done much for a few years
Dan Ageyi - unlikely to return, step too far?
Tyler Walker - one season with Lincoln, nothing since
Tshimanga - gamble at this level
Sam Smith - decent signing

I'm not sure that we would have wanted, or would have got many of them. And Mark Harris has the potential to be up there with many of these.

Max Watters was at Barnsley last season and Kyle Joseph was a make weight in the Jerry Yates deal so neither were on the cards. Even Cole Stockton, Alfie May and Sam Smith have split opinions, and they're the best of a pretty average bunch.

So you can have all the money in the world and the best people working night and day, but you can't magic a decent striker out of thin air.

With your extensive knowledge of football, who do you think that we should have signed by now for the elusive goal machine?
Nothing wrong with your logic, there, Scotch, but why the unnecessarily sarcastic dig at Kip in the last paragraph? He is entitled to his very fair opinion.

Nothing wrong with your logic, there, Scotch, but why the unnecessarily sarcastic dig at Kip in the last paragraph? He is entitled to his very fair opinion.
I think likely because Kip gets extreme on the ' all is woe ' every other club signing becomes a statement of intent whoever it may be and while a valid opinion does add a large dose of uncalled for negativity. Opinion is fair but its how expressed , especially as its been a excellent window so far .

Because its easy to say that we haven't brought in a striker (other than Mark Harris who was offered a contract extension by a Championship club and had offers from others) but much harder to identify someone that we missed out on.

I notice elsewhere that he is saying that Andy Dallas is a great prospect, but no greater than Ruben Rodrigues who he'd properly describe as an untested gamble.

Nothing sarcastic in asking why his knowledge appears to be more extensive than others, as he seems to have an intimate knowledge of how good every other signing is whilst also know how bad ours are.

Dallas is prolific wherever he goes, either as a number 10 or out and out striker. He deserves a shot at league football but I get the impression that he’s content to pick up a good wage in the NL and stay in his comfort zone - just a hunch.

Dallas is prolific wherever he goes, either as a number 10 or out and out striker. He deserves a shot at league football but I get the impression that he’s content to pick up a good wage in the NL and stay in his comfort zone - just a hunch.
Just signed for Barnsley...

Did you bother reading any of the discussion about Dallas - there was so much because he signed for Barnsley.

Maybe keep him on as coach for strikers/ goalscorers?

He was injured, brought back into the squad too early, wasn’t fit and that was it. All to help the previous manager, who by that time had fkd everything up.

Good luck with your new career George.

Sounds like he is doing a lighter version of a sporting director role at the club while doing his degree.

Fair play to the club for still supporting one of our own.

He sounds really gutted that he couldn’t have the impact he wanted.

Back
Top Bottom