Ex Player Sam Winnall

I don’t get this at all. Yes Baldock is a big miss, but we only signed him in January (possibly February)!! What about the 3/4 months prior to his arrival?? We looked a lot more threatening going forward with the 4-3-3 in my opinion. Seems like KR is the one to blame, not the loss of Baldock
Think the loss of Moore has a lot to do with that

Last edited:
Think the loss of Moore had a lot to do with that

It's the attacking touch we've lost not the defensive side. Since the Cambridge game we've struggled to score. 2 weeks ago against Ipswich it took a last gasp corner goal to rescue a point.

It's a real shame is what it is. There have been several players that, seen a couple of seasons earlier, (usually) prior to a massive injury and in other colours that we would have given our right arm to sign, then come to us and continue on their downward path out of league football. As has been said elsewhere, Sam Winnall was probably the best striker in the division in his time with Barnsley.

After today's "performance" you can file Sam Winnall in the ever growing folder also containing George Thorne, Nicky Wroe, Jon Paul Pittman, Robbie Hall, Christian Ribeiro, Mike Williamson and many others.

Say we had managed a draw today? Would you all be skipping about? The real facts are that we do not have the talent in depth to be a feasible Championship side. Bad luck, bad choice of signings? Certainly our squad looks very unbalanced and, if KR stays, our new investors (remember them?) may, May be prepared to fund better recruitment in the summer. I reckon we might just wriggle into the play- offs but we are definitely not Championship material.

I didn't see the game, but I did see Winnall hassle the Ipswich defence in the last 10 minutes and contributed to us getting the corner that we scored from.

No one is saying that Sam Winnall is anywhere near the level we want or need. But it's a little embarrassing to rush to this thread within seconds of a defeat to criticise a 67th minute substitute.

Posters on here post in threads sharply after the whistle after a player has played well too. The 'Luke McNally' thread was awash with replies post-Ipswich. People are posting in relation to what they think is important and that relates to Sam Winnall. Nothing 'embarrassing' about it.

Perhaps today's performance is a 'last straw' moment. For a player whose goal tally this season is half that of Joel Cooper's, it's been a miserable and forgettable campaign for him. Sam Winnall had it once but he doesn't have it any more. If he's not injured, he seems to be using valuable minutes to try to get up to speed which seems to take him 10 matches or so and I'm fed up of watching him slowly get accustomed to playing again. His last truly worthwhile season was 2016-17. It's been sporadic appearances and 16 goals in five seasons since then. Sorry, Sam. Not good enough for us.

If KR and co take on that third year option, they need their heads checking.

I wonder if Winnall will even be playing anywhere next season, the above statistics are not going to be getting teams queuing up. Not much we can do about this season now but we don’t want another Mackie/Winnall as cover next season, hasn’t worked over the last 4 years.

Say we had managed a draw today? Would you all be skipping about? The real facts are that we do not have the talent in depth to be a feasible Championship side. Bad luck, bad choice of signings? Certainly our squad looks very unbalanced and, if KR stays, our new investors (remember them?) may, May be prepared to fund better recruitment in the summer. I reckon we might just wriggle into the play- offs but we are definitely not Championship material.

Yet we could very well be a Championship side next season.

Two fantastic saves and a blind linesman and we could have been out of sight by half time. The playoffs are far from over, and maybe we can save all our luck up for them.

I didn't see the game, but I did see Winnall hassle the Ipswich defence in the last 10 minutes and contributed to us getting the corner that we scored from.

No one is saying that Sam Winnall is anywhere near the level we want or need. But it's a little embarrassing to rush to this thread within seconds of a defeat to criticise a 67th minute substitute.
Jesus Wept.

I'd say that is a bare minimum by even your standards...

Because we don't have anyone else to bring on that could be an attacking threat.

You look at the other top 10 sides and what options they have on the bench ,ours is league 2 in comparison.
I agree, we need much more effective attacking options on the bench, but as I've said before, you don't always have to bring on a striker or winger to win a game, we could easily bring on some more solid, defensive minded players, and tweak the system, giving us more stability to allow us to take control of the game, and free up the more attack minded players already on the pitch, who were being made to play with the shackles on, but could then play with more freedom to attack.

Unfortunately, when I saw Winnall and Holland coming on, I knew the game was over.

I think the point is every game we played in the new formation with Baldock and Taylor up front together, we looked very dangerous. Every game without Baldock we’ve not looked quite as good with two up top.
We were devastating in this new formation with Baldock partnering Taylor upfront, and looked like scoring every time we went forward.

But without an effective partner for Taylor, such as Baldock, this system simply doesn't work, and we should probably go back to 4-3-3

Last edited:
I agree, we need much more effective attacking options on the bench, but as I've said before, you don't always have to bring on a striker or winger to win a game, we could easily bring on some more solid, defensive minded players, and tweak the system, giving us more stability to allow us to take control of the game, and free up the more attack minded players already on the pitch, who were being made to play with the shackles on, but could then play with more freedom to attack.

Unfortunately, when I saw Winnall and Holland coming on, I knew the game was over.

Yep you are correct. I thought he would of bought Seddon on for Williams and switched to a 4 3 3. Forde just signed a new contract but Karl didn't even bring him on for Mcguane so not sure why we even offered a new contract if we aren't going to use him. Holland and Henry coming on just weakened us which is harsh on Henry as he hasn't had game time to get up to speed.

Unfortunately Winnall hasn’t done anything to warrant the activation of his one year option. If Sam had at least 50% of what he used to have then maybe, but he hasn’t shown anything worth the activation. Yes he has scored but no where near what he could or would have 4 years ago. Sam Baldock has come in and in his few games he has played for us has shown him to be a more better player in his position bid play.
Unfortunately he got injured and Sam Winnall is the only other recognised striker available to us at the moment and yes he is winning goal against Sheffield Wednesday was classic Winnall but alas one goal doesn’t do it.
Come the end of the season it has to be bye Sam thank you for your service and hi Sam here is your contract…….just hope it’s the right Sam given the contract 😊

He won’t be here next season. I can see him ending up somewhere like Mansfield Town.

Shame, but he’s a player on the decline, and it’s best to go our separate ways. Then we can bring someone in capable of pushing us to promotion.

Unfortunately Winnall hasn’t done anything to warrant the activation of his one year option. If Sam had at least 50% of what he used to have then maybe, but he hasn’t shown anything worth the activation. Yes he has scored but no where near what he could or would have 4 years ago. Sam Baldock has come in and in his few games he has played for us has shown him to be a more better player in his position bid play.
Unfortunately he got injured and Sam Winnall is the only other recognised striker available to us at the moment and yes he is winning goal against Sheffield Wednesday was classic Winnall but alas one goal doesn’t do it.
Come the end of the season it has to be bye Sam thank you for your service and hi Sam here is your contract…….just hope it’s the right Sam given the contract 😊
Given the History do you think we also need to have some caution?

Given the History do you think we also need to have some caution?
I think am Sam being given a contract albeit maybe a years with an option would be good for Oxford, that is Sam Baldock in referring to.

Back
Top Bottom