Manager/Coach Robbo out. Thread number 2

Should KR go now?

• Yes, now.

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Yes, if we don't make the play-offs.

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • No, talk again at the end of next season.

Votes: 104 40.0%
  • No.

Votes: 128 49.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This forum often goes OTT after a loss but i have to chuckle when those who want him gone state give him until Christmas or next season if we don't reach the Play Offs pull the trigger.

As we are seeing this season there are very fine margins between reaching the Play Offs or not and yet again it's as though some posters still think that reaching them means promotion. To think that some say Karl never learns!!!!!
Reaching the playoffs is a form of success. If every season KR has us reaching the playoffs then I’d be happy to keep giving him one more season as, by pure chance alone, eventually one of those times we’d reach them.

Couldn’t agree more. I wouldn’t like our club to be like many of the Yorkshire clubs, Birmingham or Fleetwood. Salford expect continuing success and it doesn’t happen that way

Reaching the playoffs is a form of success. If every season KR has us reaching the playoffs then I’d be happy to keep giving him one more season as, by pure chance alone, eventually one of those times we’d reach them.
oh i agree but many don't as can be read on here, given the standard of League 1 could we really think of Top 2 as "Realistic"

I have never liked the The Play Offs and never will, they are a complete Lottery and actual hide your true status, no club should be able not be promoted when they're several pts ahead. simpler to just have Top 3 (adjust according to division)

I think KR definitely deserves another season, BUT and a big but, he needs to learn and learn quickly from his mistakes otherwise these investors will no doubt pull the trigger.

Defence needs a major overhaul, Long, nowhere good enough this season since his injury, Eastwood and Stevens both have had poor seasons, maybe a new number 1 coming in, we only have to look at Morecambe and Plymouths keepers, we simply have to improve here. New centre half needed too together with a decent left wing back.

It’s a tough old league,’we have to keep
Improving if we have ambition, it’s going to be a rollercoaster ride, COYY’S

Definitely deserves another year it's nice to be entertaining but it would be nice to be bigger and stronger as well. I remember everyone going on about Wimbledon and Vinny Jones but he was hard and a good footballer . We've got to many nice footballers but ABIT soft .

Definitely deserves another year it's nice to be entertaining but it would be nice to be bigger and stronger as well. I remember everyone going on about Wimbledon and Vinny Jones but he was hard and a good footballer . We've got to many nice footballers but ABIT soft .

Vinny Jones was not a good footballer!

I would give him one more season, Bakri wants promotion by the end of next season. But if it’s like almost, nearly or not quite, then we have to have a serious look at where we want to be. Some have said keep him here, but if we’re not promoted do we want to see almost, nearly or not quite season on season out because our transfer windows haven’t produced a team capable.

I don’t think many clubs would have let this go on almost, nearly or not quite.

So one more season.

If you were a qualified football manager, with your comment there you would be permanently unemployed as a football manager.

I think whether KR stays for next season should depend on a couple of things and whether he will agree to accept them. I am putting aside (perhaps unfairly) his undoubted enthusiasm and had work and just focussing on recruitment and on-field issues.

1) Recruitment. I feel he needs effective and firm help here. For a forum full of non-football managers, I think virtually everyone of us identified what was needed (and potentially not needed) in January and in the summer before that. There comes a point when *someone* has to have a word with him to say that no matter the calibre of a player that suddenly becomes available he should not be signed if we already have enough players in that position and there are still gaping holes in the squad elsewhere, especially given squad number restrictions. We have to have a much more clear eyed view of the type of players we sign - old, injured players (no matter how good they used to be three years ago) should be out. We should never re-sign a player simply because we've had him before and he is a known quantity. We need to have a good look at our youth system. If we aren't going to be able to produce any youngsters capable of moving up in to the first team (and recently, we haven't), then what we are doing needs to be overhauled. Or if that isn't possible consider reducing the amount of time and money spent on it - there's no point in developing players only useful to other (much lower in the pyramid) clubs. I am fed up of being told that player X or Y is the next big thing only to never see them play meaningful minutes for the first team and then read they've shuffled off to Oxford City or Havant!

2) On field. Play players in positions they are used to. This is of course related to the recruitment point. These are L1 players - they aren't multiskilled international players who can switch around at the drop of a hat. Build a squad to play the formation(s) that you want, and play a formation to suit the players you have. EVERY club has injuries, EVERY season. While I will say we have been a little unlucky this season in that we have had some long term injuries to the more vital member of the squad, it really cannot be trotted out every time we lose a match - especially if you start mentioning players who you signed injured in the first place. Substitutions! Quite often we are crying out for changes and they are either made too late or we continually see 'pre-arranged' subs on 60 minutes or 75 minutes - no matter what the state of the game. That seems loopy to me. This all smacks of someone who desperately needs a more capable assistant then he currently has. Try to keep as settled a team as possible. I am not sure I like all this constant changing of the team to somehow deal with the perceived strengths of other teams - more often than not it just ends up being disruptive. Let THEM worry about US. Concentrate EQUALLY on attack, defence and the midfield (which does after all connect the other two). Improve fitness - all too many times we have players who are completely shot after 75 minutes.

If KR can't accept that he has made mistakes and be prepared to accept advice and help from others if he cannot learn from them on his own, then keeping him would surely just leave us having the same discussion the same time next year?

I'll judge him around mid season next year, I love the style he brings but we need to prioritize defence above all in the transfer window. It's a bit embarrassing the amount of goals we have conceded this season. When you really analyse them, many are so soft and preventable with the odd screamer in there.

Keep McNally and Moore but give them plenty of cover. I want to see 4 decent league 1 centre halves at least, 3/4 players who can take on full back/wing back positions comfortably and 2 dedicated holding midfielders. Come Christmas I want us to be top 5 least goals conceded.

Get them in early, get them fit and play them in all pre season games.

It will be a big ask to do this and keep the core of our attack, but if Bakrie and Co are serious about wanting us to be promoted within 2 years (1 more season) then they need to be prepared to spend well this summer, or we'll end up with another makeshift injury prone disjointed squad again, and we'll be having this exact same conversation this time next year.

Last edited:
I'll judge him around mid season next year, I love the style he brings but we need to prioritize defence above all in the transfer window. It's a bit embarrassing the amount of goals we have conceded this season. When you really analyse them, many are so soft and preventable with the odd screamer in there.

Keep McNally and Moore but give them plenty of cover. I want to see 4 decent league 1 centre halves at least, 3/4 players who can take on full back/wing back positions comfortably and 2 dedicated holding midfielders. Come Christmas I want us to be top 5 least goals conceded.

Get them in early, get them fit and play them in all pre season games.

It will be a big ask to do this and keep the core of our attack, but if Bakrie and Co are serious about wanting us to be promoted within 2 years (1 more season) then they need to be prepared to spend well this summer, or we'll end up with another makeshift injury prone disjointed squad again, and we'll be having this exact same conversation this time next year.
agree on the players needed . at the moment we have the 12th best defensive record but only a few weeks ago we were something like 5th best defence.

KR has the potential to be a great manager, but he has a really frustrating glitch in his brain, that simply doesn't allow him to accept his mistakes as his own, he makes too many excuses, and blames everything and everyone else, but himself.

He knows how to get his teams playing excellent attacking football, creating chances and scoring goals, but there's a whole other side to the game that he neglects, and he can't set them up to defend, it's clearly not his philosophy, and that's the problem, and until he fixes that glitch in his brain, and let's go of his stubborn, arrogant ego, and accepts that weather he likes it or not, defence is just as important as attack, maybe even MORE IMPROTANT, then it's always gonna hold us and him back.

I'm not sharpening the pitchfork just yet, but after FOUR YEARS of seeing zero signs of him changing this approach, I'm starting to lose faith...

KR has the potential to be a great manager, but he has a really frustrating glitch in his brain, that simply doesn't allow him to accept his mistakes as his own, he makes too many excuses, and blames everything and everyone else, but himself.

He knows how to get his teams playing excellent attacking football, creating chances and scoring goals, but there's a whole other side to the game that he neglects, and he can't set them up to defend, it's clearly not his philosophy, and that's the problem, and until he fixes that glitch in his brain, and let's go of his stubborn, arrogant ego, and accepts that weather he likes it or not, defence is just as important as attack, maybe even MORE IMPROTANT, then it's always gonna hold us and him back.

I'm not sharpening the pitchfork just yet, but after FOUR YEARS of seeing zero signs of him changing this approach, I'm starting to lose faith...
no manager in the history of football ever blames themself.

no manager in the history of football ever blames themself.
As anyone seen David Artell's post match interview after the defeat against Doncaster? Goodness knows what it must be like to be a Crewe supporter at this moment in time. Be thankful for small mercies is what I say!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom