Manager/Coach Robbo to WBA

Well after last nights result pep could be off, Robbos been in the running for every other managerial Position, watch this space for the oxford snails back page headline.
ROBBO TO CITY SHOCK.

I think theres a lot of unnecessary paranoia about comings and goings at OUFC...including with KR.

Lets be clear - KR, if our apparent new owners invest in the playing budget, will be expected to go one better next season. Maybe we finished in line with our current playing budget, maybe not, but we haven't achieved anything yet in real terms. Don't get me wrong, I have been entertained and I'm an OUFC fan - period, but we are some way off being good enough for the second tier.
I am concerned with us offering contracts to the likes of Ruffels, Sykes, and Ford. Not because I think they are poor, but because I hoped that we as a club can see their limitations and we have the desire to crack on. There may have been bigger budgets in L1 this season, but were the teams in the league 1 play off final later 2 of them? I doubt it.
For me, Robinson needs to make 7 key signings just to be on par with Blackpool. Two fullbacks with mobility and experience, 2 midfielders who are both robust, athletic and who will pick up the 2nd balls, and a centre forward who provides a physical outlet for the team and genuine support for Taylor. We also need to add loanees of calibre - Lee and Barker were really decent in my opinion.

From a sports science perspective, I hope the players enjoy a sunshine break, recharge and then get in the gym early doors. A gruelling programme of plyometrics and raw strength is desperately required in my opinion alongside the CV and SAQ work that is a staple in all modern day football. I also pray that we dont play 127 friendlies in 12 days and look knackered for 2 months at the start of the season.

From a recruitment perspective, we need to get to work quickly. I trust the management team have identified what I believe to be obvious weaknesses within the squad.

I think theres a lot of unnecessary paranoia about comings and goings at OUFC...including with KR.

Lets be clear - KR, if our apparent new owners invest in the playing budget, will be expected to go one better next season. Maybe we finished in line with our current playing budget, maybe not, but we haven't achieved anything yet in real terms. Don't get me wrong, I have been entertained and I'm an OUFC fan - period, but we are some way off being good enough for the second tier.
I am concerned with us offering contracts to the likes of Ruffels, Sykes, and Ford. Not because I think they are poor, but because I hoped that we as a club can see their limitations and we have the desire to crack on. There may have been bigger budgets in L1 this season, but were the teams in the league 1 play off final later 2 of them? I doubt it.
For me, Robinson needs to make 7 key signings just to be on par with Blackpool. Two fullbacks with mobility and experience, 2 midfielders who are both robust, athletic and who will pick up the 2nd balls, and a centre forward who provides a physical outlet for the team and genuine support for Taylor. We also need to add loanees of calibre - Lee and Barker were really decent in my opinion.

From a sports science perspective, I hope the players enjoy a sunshine break, recharge and then get in the gym early doors. A gruelling programme of plyometrics and raw strength is desperately required in my opinion alongside the CV and SAQ work that is a staple in all modern day football. I also pray that we dont play 127 friendlies in 12 days and look knackered for 2 months at the start of the season.

From a recruitment perspective, we need to get to work quickly. I trust the management team have identified what I believe to be obvious weaknesses within the squad.
I agree we need a bit more strength in midfield but the way we play is more based on skill and possession than strength, and we only play one striker, so anyone coming in wouldn’t expect to start every week.

So Portsmouth bowed to supporter pressure, and sacked a manager that has failed to get them promoted for the last three seasons on a decent budget. You disagree, and say they should have kept Jackett. Yet you're asking us to make a change of manager that has gone a step further than Portsmouth in each of the last two seasons?

It's all very well if we have someone ready to replace him, that can do the exact same thing as KR in terms of youth, communication, developing saleable assets... and is good enough to gain us 20 extra points a season for automatic promotion ahead of the 8/9 teams that are better set up for championship football than us.

Do you have any candidates?

Pompey will always struggle in my opinion. There biggest problem is there biggest asset the fans. You get a few that are realistic and accept what and where they are, which is a run of the mill league 1 team. But they have loads who still think that they should be a prem side purely because of there gates and how many they take away. They think teams like us are not fit to play them just because we have a 3 sided ground and half the attendences that they do.

Regarding KR I quite happy we have him as I think there isn’t much around that’s 1, available and 2, the right fit for us.

We have fans who believe our place in the pyramid is Championship, Pompey are by far a much bigger club so some of their fans thinking of them being a Prem Club is not so far off going purely by the Pyramid.

You could also say we have fans who look down on the likes of Fleetwood Accrington and latterly Wycombe and i would suggest most of us felt we were too big for the Conference and just like Sunderland Pompey etc are having to adapt you soon learn

We have fans who believe our place in the pyramid is Championship, Pompey are by far a much bigger club so some of their fans thinking of them being a Prem Club is not so far off going purely by the Pyramid.

You could also say we have fans who look down on the likes of Fleetwood Accrington and latterly Wycombe and i would suggest most of us felt we were too big for the Conference and just like Sunderland Pompey etc are having to adapt you soon learn
I don't know many who believe our 'natural' place in the pyramid is the second tier. Our natural place in an historical sense is close to where we are. But are we not preparing for significant financial investment including development of infrastructure, and I assume an uplift in the playing budget? Should we not expect to be better than last season if that goes ahead?

We are trying to push through the ceiling of what we've been able to achieve before based on some new and exciting realities. Times could change. Its a pointless and futile existence to simply come in to work and go through the motions. Surely we want to see a push for the next level and a plan of attack for a football club as special as ours?

I don't know many who believe our 'natural' place in the pyramid is the second tier. Our natural place in an historical sense is close to where we are. But are we not preparing for significant financial investment including development of infrastructure, and I assume an uplift in the playing budget? Should we not expect to be better than last season if that goes ahead?

We are trying to push through the ceiling of what we've been able to achieve before based on some new and exciting realities. Times could change. Its a pointless and futile existence to simply come in to work and go through the motions. Surely we want to see a push for the next level and a plan of attack for a football club as special as ours?
Not sure anyone has said we’d get an increase in playing budget. Even if we do we won’t switch to a different style of play while we have Karl.

Not sure anyone has said we’d get an increase in playing budget. Even if we do we won’t switch to a different style of play while we have Karl.
If we are investing thousands in the infrastructure without considering a modest increase in the playing budget then Im pretty confused. Whats the point of building a championship training facility if its not matched by a playing budget that gives the manager a fighting chance of promotion from L1? Im not talking millions of pounds, but certainly a sum that could afford us the necessary improvement. I was lead to believe that our achievement this season was beyond expectations - which insinuates we didn't have a top 6 budget.

Great Post. Why the talk of other teams? This is Oxford Utd.

If we are investing thousands in the infrastructure without considering a modest increase in the playing budget then Im pretty confused. Whats the point of building a championship training facility if its not matched by a playing budget that gives the manager a fighting chance of promotion from L1? Im not talking millions of pounds, but certainly a sum that could afford us the necessary improvement. I was lead to believe that our achievement this season was beyond expectations - which insinuates we didn't have a top 6 budget.
I don’t believe we had a top 6 budget and I don’t think we were really expected to make the playoffs either time. I don’t reckon we’ll really ‘go for it’ till there’s some progress with the ground

Well after last nights result pep could be off, Robbos been in the running for every other managerial Position, watch this space for the oxford snails back page headline.
ROBBO TO CITY SHOCK.
Nah, more likely ‘Robinson plays down Man City link’

• React
Reactions: m
The board will always play down expectations, they’d be daft not to. I can’t see how a board could suggest that we fell short of expectations and still keep the manager.
The board will feed what we need to hear so that we don’t turn on KR.
We will never know if we had the biggest or the smallest budget we can only guesstimate.

Yup, i agree. Offering contracts to Ruffels, Sykes and Forde doesn’t inspire me to think that we are looking at Championship quality players for next season . Are they good enough for a team expecting to get promoted? Nope. And you are spot on with our requirements.

Yup, i agree. Offering contracts to Ruffels, Sykes and Forde doesn’t inspire me to think that we are looking at Championship quality players for next season . Are they good enough for a team expecting to get promoted? Nope. And you are spot on with our requirements.

If we were to bring in a top drawer left back, then Ruffels would be an excellent back up. Equally Forde and Sykes are more than good enough as squad players. If we're looking to add quality to the starting XI then having stability through the rest of the squad makes sense.

Yup, i agree. Offering contracts to Ruffels, Sykes and Forde doesn’t inspire me to think that we are looking at Championship quality players for next season. Are they good enough for a team expecting to get promoted? Nope. And you are spot on with our requirements.
I mean we've recently signed McGuane, so that kind of puts that theory to bed. If we tried to get out of this division by exclusively targeting 'Championship-quality' players (like it's a fixed measurable metric) then we'd either bankrupt ourselves trying or miss out on most of our targets and start the season with a threadbare squad.

I mean we've recently signed McGuane, so that kind of puts that theory to bed. If we tried to get out of this division by exclusively targeting 'Championship-quality' players (like it's a fixed measurable metric) then we'd either bankrupt ourselves trying or miss out on most of our targets and start the season with a threadbare squad.
Indeed. Some of the squad will always be better than others!

Back
Top Bottom