Manager/Coach Rumour: Robbo to Bournemouth?

Insane. He did so much for us- that team was hands down the best team to watch of the recent era. We blew teams away. We played superlative football. With hindsight we can see that the team was Championship standard and we had it in League 2.

Him taking that Leicester job was totally understandable but massively disappointing. Would you like to work in the Premier League for a s**t load more money after building a brilliant managerial reputation in League 2?

It's nonsense to call him a snake. Absolute shite, actually.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big MApp fan, but I feel this might be a bit of a rose-tinted view. For a 'Championship-standard team', we needed a win on the last day of the season to secure the autos, and went through some really bad runs, even in 15-16. Remember in around February (I think it was) when we kept dropping points at home? Home losses to Accrington, Leyton and Luton (I think) all in a pretty short space of time are easy to forget now that they didn't really matter but were viewed pretty dimly at the time.

Agree that he's absolutely not a snake and, if anything, him moving was probably eminently sensible given the shenanigans that went on the following couple of seasons.

Yeah fair enough. My pay rise was nowhere near 3x my salary and if someone offered me anywhere near that amount of money, I would be out of the door in a flash. I guess when it comes to MAPP, I find it hard to look past the fact he left the club while we were on the up, in order to go and play second fiddle to his mate. I understand that it was a good opportunity, and one that was too good to turn down. I just feel as though he owed us another season and if he would have stayed, we might well have gone on to even greater things.
You need to take your chance in football. What if he’d stayed with us, lost the first five next season and been sacked? He might have found that only Stockport would have him.

I’m bias. I think Appleton is a money chasing snake. Personally, I can’t stand him. His time at Oxford showed me that. I would rather Karl Robinson, any day of the week. Appleton will leave Lincoln at the first sign of money. Would Karl? I’m not so sure. Im doubting MAPP’s ability, I’m doubting his character. That to me, counts for just as much..

That is a bit harsh on Appleton, and a bit naive re Robinson. I think it was last season where Robinson seemed to be having a pop at the board and seemed to be putting himself out there, weren't there some rumours re Blackpool?

Appleton made mistakes in his early career and he acknowledges that, he then sensed the financial backing wasn't at Oxford and took a big pay day elsewhere. A lot of managers in his position would have done the same. I know I'm in the minority but I can see why he took the chance with Leicester. Why take the risk of taking the gloss off his Oxford CV with possibly a season going backwards? No idea if it's true but I heard a £10k week figure that he was on at Leicester, surely if true that is hard to turn down?

I am in the Appleton camp, but can see what a good job Robinson is doing. I think if Robinson takes us up this year, then I'd admit he's done a better job for us on the pitch than Appleton. As we were a bigger fish in Div 2 than we are in Div 1, I do think it will be a bigger achievement if Robinson gets us up.

I may be biased because I have spoken to Appleton a couple of times, I had a 10 minute chat with him after the Swansea win and just thought he came across in a really measured and impressive way. I've not met Robinson, and maybe I'd walk away with the same impression if I did. We'll just have to wait to see who has a better managerial record, be interesting to see what level they are both at. You won't be surprised to know I think Appleton will go further!

Maybe we should just all agree they both have done / are doing great jobs for us!

That came from MApp himself. He called Ferguson after being sacked from Blackburn for advice and got the hairdryer treatment! SAF criticised him for not doing his due diligence and wasting his opportunities on basket cases with uncooperative owners.

His departure from us was one part money and one part question marks over ownership. DE was keen to sell and couldn’t commit to the budgets so MApp walked. It was an admittedly canny move from a financial perspective to go to Leicester as a coach - low risk and a chance of a lucrative payoff - but another wasted two years when he could have been doing more work in the third or possibly second tiers. I don’t think he has quite learned from that SAF phone call. His head will be turned sharpish if anyone from the Championship goes looking for him.

Ironic really. Despite what some would have you believe Tiger is clearly shelling out when needs be.

Would have been interesting to see what Appleton could have done had he stayed.

Would have been interesting to see what Appleton could have done had he stayed.
Eales was in the middle of selling the club having turned the taps off months ago when the Leicester offer came up. He had failed to deliver on his promises in the January window (and we were only a win or so away from getting in the playoffs despite that fact), was going through his rather messy divorce and could give Appleton absolutely zero guarantees of what would happen post-takeover. We were brassic while the takeover rolled on, and before it was called off Appleton got his offer. Only after he left did Eales call off the takeover, increase the budget (which Clotet then absolutely wasted) and then the club was sold six months later to Tiger anyway.

People forget this.

People calling Apps a snake or a money grabber for taking a job at Leicester has got to be some of the finest hypocrisy there is, a very significant majority would have done exactly the same thing in the same circumstances

And let’s not forget, we’re not talking about Appleton going to some league rivals throwing a bit more money about, we’re talking a Premier League team with the chance to work with some of the best players and coaches in the country... what a fantastic development opportunity for a football coach, madness that people don’t understand that

Appleton vs Robinson is one I think Robinson loses purely based on an element on naivety, Appleton I think was/is much more adaptable in terms of how he sets his teams up, Robinson stubbornly sticks to his principles even when evidence suggests they may not be working

Regardless of that, both have done good jobs and both have nurtured some good young talent

Last edited:
People calling Apps a snake or a money grabber for taking a job at Leicester has got to be some of the finest hypocrisy there is, a very significant majority would have done exactly the same thing in the same circumstances

And let’s not forget, we’re not talking about him going to some league rivals throwing a bit more money about, we’re talking a Premier League team with the chance to work with some of the best players and coaches in the country... what a fantastic development opportunity for a football coach, madness that people don’t understand that

Appleton vs Robinson is one I think Robinson loses purely based on an element on naivety, Appleton I think was/is much more adaptable in terms of how he sets his teams up, Robinson stubbornly sticks to his principles even when evidence suggests they may not be working

Regardless of that, both have done good jobs and both have nurtured some good young talent
Breaking news mate!
I currently don't know of any Prem team pursing Robbo?

It's well documented that MApp didn't have the greatest of starts to his managerial career, but he made mistakes what with chasing the next job and joining clubs with dodgy owners, but I don't think it's fair to say he was 'chasing the cash' since then. He left us to become a number two at a Premier League club that had just won the title a year before, which came with financial reward, but also no guarantee of job security. When he was let go, Leicester were still obligated to pay Appleton on a monthly basis until he took up a new job. However, instead of sitting on his hands collecting a payslip, he joined West Brom's coaching setup. Less pay, but as a coach, less likely to get sacked. Soon though, he joins Lincoln as a manager, with certainly no huge rise in pay but with much less job security. That's why this 'money-chasing' characterisation just doesn't tally.

Eales was in the middle of selling the club having turned the taps off months ago when the Leicester offer came up. He had failed to deliver on his promises in the January window (and we were only a win or so away from getting in the playoffs despite that fact), was going through his rather messy divorce and could give Appleton absolutely zero guarantees of what would happen post-takeover. We were brassic while the takeover rolled on, and before it was called off Appleton got his offer. Only after he left did Eales call off the takeover, increase the budget (which Clotet then absolutely wasted) and then the club was sold six months later to Tiger anyway.

People forget this.

Appleton was rather frustrated with the inability to get any sort of straight answer from Slippery as well as the lack of backing.

As to this thread, there's nothing wrong with shacking up with a munter when a prettier girl flips you off but slandering the pretty girl's a bit pathetic.

While the backing may not have been quite as much as Mapp would have wanted and there was the obvious uncertainty with the takeover we were just about to purchase Liam Lindsay ?
Mapp certainly was a very good manager and is proving that at Lincoln again , just a shame we didn't had that ' break and upheaval ' from App going, Eales selling up and the Pep disaster.
Robbo has steady a floundering ship and set our course back onto being a successful league 1 side , with Tigers etc backing of course .
He deserves lots of credit for that as Apps did have much better support/ organisation from the club it seemed.

Purely from the outside. It looks like KR has done more for the Academy and the infrastructure below the 1st team albeit MApp did plenty as well. Circumstances/ownership may have helped here but I think KR gets the tick in this particular comparison.

Wilder - fantastic manager for us.
Appleton - fantastic manager for us.
Robinson - fantastic manager for us.

Whilst deliberately ignoring Pep and the hour Waddock was in charge, we've been lucky to have 3 managers who've all played a huge part in turning this club around. All have different strengths, and all had their faults too. But to have gone from the bottom end of the conference to a whisker away from the Championship in a little over 10 years is incredible, and I'm not sure what is to be gained by playing one off against the other.

I'm glad Wilder has taken his home team club up to the PL, even if he was a dick before he left us. I'm pleased to see MApp back in the game and doing well, even if he left with a job half done. But I'm also incredibly happy to have Robinson developing the club from the grassroots up, playing fantastic football and hopefully taking us on to another promotion. And I'd love nothing more than to see us beat Lincoln to promotion and absolutely smash Sheffield United in the Championship next season!!

The King's are dead, long live the King!!!

All managers will be criticised, and there is virtually always some sort of fallout from one side or both when a manager leaves (since they either get fired because they are rubbish or move on to better paid things because they've done well!). So we have to look at their achievements when with us rather than how they left. Wilder, Appleton and Robinson, all things considered, have made a positive difference when with us. All had their flaws and all had their strengths. I can't say I like(d) them all as much as each other - but that isn't really the point!

Last edited:
Appleton was rather frustrated with the inability to get any sort of straight answer from Slippery as well as the lack of backing.

As to this thread, there's nothing wrong with shacking up with a munter when a prettier girl flips you off but slandering the pretty girl's a bit pathetic.
I heard Appleton left when he never got the free hot dog he was promised.

Wilder - fantastic manager for us.
Appleton - fantastic manager for us.
Robinson - fantastic manager for us.

Whilst deliberately ignoring Pep and the hour Waddock was in charge, we've been lucky to have 3 managers who've all played a huge part in turning this club around. All have different strengths, and all had their faults too. But to have gone from the bottom end of the conference to a whisker away from the Championship in a little over 10 years is incredible, and I'm not sure what is to be gained by playing one off against the other.

I'm glad Wilder has taken his home team club up to the PL, even if he was a dick before he left us. I'm pleased to see MApp back in the game and doing well, even if he left with a job half done. But I'm also incredibly happy to have Robinson developing the club from the grassroots up, playing fantastic football and hopefully taking us on to another promotion. And I'd love nothing more than to see us beat Lincoln to promotion and absolutely smash Sheffield United in the Championship next season!!

The King's are dead, long live the King!!!
Waddock might only have been here an hour, but in that hour he drafted in Danny Hylton so he did OK.

Back
Top Bottom