Pre-season v Leeds United

I’m talking about the current music scene, young man! Not some old hogwash. Go listen to some Vessels, for example. Or Microshift from Hookworms (one of my favourite albums of 2018). Or Eagulls. Or Pulled Apart by Horses.

Ooh get you “young man” I’ll stick with what I like thanks but if you enjoy being pulled apart by horses then you crack on ?

What songs are thsee?

Not the generic off the shelf songs that other clubs had before us, all most know is yellows yellows yellows ?
Generic off the shelf, re-lyriced songs are the ones which fans learn fast and sing louder. We have a song in Yellow Submarine which slowly became our loudest song. How many clubs have more than 1 or 2 songs which are totally original and unique to them? Virtually none.

We have a huge, varied song list, including a belting club anthem which gives me goosebumps these days. For a League 1 football club with a 6000ish fanbase, I'm really not sure what more you could ask for! The Ultras try to come up with new original chants, and imported from abroad chants every season, some work, some don't. Coming on here claiming we have hardly any songs when some of us are starting 15-20 different chants a game though is incorrect, that's all :)

Generic off the shelf, re-lyriced songs are the ones which fans learn fast and sing louder. We have a song in Yellow Submarine which slowly became our loudest song. How many clubs have more than 1 or 2 songs which are totally original and unique to them? Virtually none.

We have a huge, varied song list, including a belting club anthem which gives me goosebumps these days. For a League 1 football club with a 6000ish fanbase, I'm really not sure what more you could ask for! The Ultras try to come up with new original chants, and imported from abroad chants every season, some work, some don't. Coming on here claiming we have hardly any songs when some of us are starting 15-20 different chants a game though is incorrect, that's all :)

A club anthem ?

Yellow submarine ?

A club anthem ?

Yellow submarine [emoji849]

Yep, it’s a brilliant chant.

A club anthem ?

Yellow submarine [emoji849]
Ah, something else that's wrong, not original and unique enough for you? The fact it was deafening at times last season not enough? Lyrics pay tribute to one of our greatest ever managers, probably something wrong about that too :confused: Genuinely would love some song/anthem suggestions?

Perhaps we can ask the Ultras to reinterpret something like Glass Onion or Revolution #9, rather than the more obvious Lennon/McCartney numbers.

Perhaps we can ask the Ultras to reinterpret something like Glass Onion or Revolution #9, rather than the more obvious Lennon/McCartney numbers.

Do something with Perkele's "yellow and blue".

It's such a shame that people unhappy with the hymns on offer can't come up with their own, superior songs, organise and then get them going at games. Oh, there's nothing stopping it.

Ooh get you “young man” I’ll stick with what I like thanks but if you enjoy being pulled apart by horses then you crack on ?

most major towns and cities tend to have vibrant local music scenes... IF you know where to look.... sad thing is Simon Cowells television dumbing down and pre packaging of 'music'.... and apathy towards real bands who play real instruments, until they have been around for many years from what should be thier core audience, plus low capacity live music venues closing down at an alarming rate doesnt help, yet there are new exciting bands out there..... two well known, well loved, well established live bands, albeit as underground heros,
The Spitfires (Year zero)and Stone Foundation (Everybody, Anyone) have new albums out at the end of july & august respectively, both will be touring from october though dont know if theyre coming to play in Oxford

check your messages @WuTang ;)

Ah, something else that's wrong, not original and unique enough for you? The fact it was deafening at times last season not enough? Lyrics pay tribute to one of our greatest ever managers, probably something wrong about that too :confused: Genuinely would love some song/anthem suggestions?

It's more of a chant than a song, what is the club anthem you speak of?

A club anthem ?

Yellow submarine ?

Just out of interest, are you someone who joins in with chants or just wants to enjoy a lively atmosphere?

I admit, I move between the two. Sometimes I like to be in the thick of it, occasionally I just like to sit back and get less involved. Either way, I think our support is pretty damn good most of the time. The moaners annoy me, but having spoken on numerous occasions to mates who support other clubs, I don't think this is exclusive to OUFC.

I dread to think how you'd feel if you were a Pompey fan! "One song, they've only got one song......."

Play up Pompey
Pompey play up
Play up Pompey
Pompey play up
Pllaayy uuupppzzzzzzzzzz?????

Was it Pompey or West Brom who had a chant "Boing, Boing" with lots of pogoing by the fans (at the Manor in the 90s)?

Just out of interest, are you someone who joins in with chants or just wants to enjoy a lively atmosphere?

I admit, I move between the two. Sometimes I like to be in the thick of it, occasionally I just like to sit back and get less involved. Either way, I think our support is pretty damn good most of the time. The moaners annoy me, but having spoken on numerous occasions to mates who support other clubs, I don't think this is exclusive to OUFC.

I dread to think how you'd feel if you were a Pompey fan! "One song, they've only got one song......."

I am the same as you depending on my mood, people should not take my view personally.
When i was young we had some really clever original songs, I don't care if other clubs have one song or a hundred, we are OUFC and we are a one off!

I am the same as you depending on my mood, people should not take my view personally.
When i was young we had some really clever original songs, I don't care if other clubs have one song or a hundred, we are OUFC and we are a one off!

Indeed, so Yellow Submarine is ours. Along with "She wore a yellow ribbon"; "If I had the wings of a sparrow"; "Seven in a row"; We're gonna win all three"; "The Roofe is on fire"; "don't f*#k with Scarz" etc. etc.

Maybe not all completely original, but ours all the same.

Indeed, so Yellow Submarine is ours. Along with "She wore a yellow ribbon"; "If I had the wings of a sparrow"; "Seven in a row"; We're gonna win all three"; "The Roofe is on fire"; "don't f*#k with Scarz" etc. etc.

Maybe not all completely original, but ours all the same.
My favourite one as a youngster was the "we beat Man United, we beat Newcastle too (and Bristol), we beat Leeds United, and {insert opponents} we'll beat you" from the 83/4 Milk Cup run. Loved that song.

Used to love she wore a yellow ribbon, we really could do with an original anthem that everyone actually sings

most major towns and cities tend to have vibrant local music scenes... IF you know where to look.... sad thing is Simon Cowells television dumbing down and pre packaging of 'music'.... and apathy towards real bands who play real instruments, until they have been around for many years from what should be thier core audience, plus low capacity live music venues closing down at an alarming rate doesnt help, yet there are new exciting bands out there..... two well known, well loved, well established live bands, albeit as underground heros,
The Spitfires (Year zero)and Stone Foundation (Everybody, Anyone) have new albums out at the end of july & august respectively, both will be touring from october though dont know if theyre coming to play in Oxford

check your messages @WuTang ;)

The Spitfires do not have Oxford on their tour list at the moment. Seen them about ten times. Different class, very much like early Jam. Billy is a top lad, shared a beer or several with him on a few occasions ?

Back
Top Bottom