Matches Pre season games.......2022

If only there had been some sort of clue about this last season.
It appears that Findlay is likely to sign and there will be a new left back.
Gorrin is back
Assuming that it is a decent left back who works out, that will make us stronger than last season I reckon.
So I really don't get the Implication that nothing is being done to try and Improve things?

Gorrin is back
Assuming that it is a decent left back who works out, that will make us stronger than last season I reckon.
So I really don't get the Implication that nothing is being done to try and Improve things?
Fair points and I really hope that comes to fruition, I think my original comment was borne from frustration but let's see what we end up with first.

Gorrin is back
Findlay would replace Atkinson.

Gorrin is returning from injury. He was part of the squad last year. It is reasonable to assume that we will get injuries and suspensions this year, and therefore be subject to the same problems about lack of cover if we take the same approach.

We also lost Williams, who seemed to be a preferred option at RWB and back up at RB.

The question is therefore whether the rumoured, unnamed loan at left back will materialise, and be enough to help us make up the ground on the teams that finished above us last year.

It's pretty reasonable to suggest that an extra left back will not be enough on their own, or to suggest that their arrival at all is far from a done deal.

I see an argument that a quality LB addition who can also cover RB at a pinch would be enough in terms of recognised defenders, but I also see that it's far from being the only reasonable opinion.

Gorrin is back
As the old saying goes, "Don't count your full-backs before they sign up"...

Never before will a fanbase have been so excited over the signing of a left back (should it happen).

Gorrin is back
Gorrin isnt good enough for a team chasing promotion.

Findlay would replace Atkinson.
Really?
Findlay will, I suspect be a better defender than McNally ( certainly far more experienced and he has a full Scotland cap)
The left back signing plus Seddon ( and Brown as back up) will be better than last season ( there will be more cover)
Why not think that Gorrin will get fit?
Of course we need more players but from a defensive perspective we will be better than last season I reckon ( let's see!)

Really?
Findlay will, I suspect be a better defender than McNally ( certainly far more experienced and he has a full Scotland cap)
The left back signing plus Seddon ( and Brown as back up) will be better than last season ( there will be more cover)
Of course we need more players but from a defensive perspective we will be better than last season I reckon ( let's see!)
That would all be good but still a big gap at RB, Forde ok for one match in an emergency but with Long’s recent illnesses/injuries, this is an area of concern.

Really?
Our fans know Atkinson has gone to the Championship.

Most of our fans haven't seen Findlay play.

Dwight Tiendalli had twice as many caps for a much better international team. I'd sooner pay you £2k a week to play full back than see his name on the teamsheet.

On balance, i think if an Ox fan treats the Atkinson-Findlay switch as neutral based on what we know at this time, that is perfectly reasonable.
Unknown, speculated LB cover improves us, which I clearly acknowledged.

Loss of Williams as an option at RB weakens us.

Again, to be broadly neutral on these two doesn't seem unreasonable. Especially when we have no idea who the LB is meant to be.

Think you misread.

I assumed Gorrin would be fit, which is the complete opposite.

I assume that, just as we have had injuries or suspensions in our back six in every season I can ever remember - including last season, when Gorrin was injured and we were found to be woefully short of cover - we may well have injuries or suspensions this season.

If we have injuries and suspensions this season, and we have no more defensive options than last season, it is reasonable to assume we might be woefully short of cover again.

As i said, i can actually get on board with the idea that Findlay + the right loan at FB + a bit of luck gets us where we need in the back five. But i would not call anyone out for disagreeing with me, as I'd think both are perfectly reasonable opinions.

Back
Top Bottom