Matches Pre-Season Friendly vs WBA

FYDlunWXkAEEjcQ

Can anyone explain why Sade is still in our squad? Never ever ever a L1 standard RB.
I understand why we keep a squad place for Davis. He's quite talented if lightweight, he has played at international U-21 level, and he does wonders for our marketing in Thailand (think of the dosh we are getting from Bangkok Glass).
But Sade? Bizarre.

Some interesting performance tonight and plenty of positives. Still hard to judge though with so many signings still to come in. Anyway, below are my thoughts on the starting 11.

Stevens - nothing much new. Didn't do anything for me to improve on existing concerns
Seddon - more disciplined than last season and a 7/10 performance. Could he?
Brown - Excellent game. Proper defender and very reliable
Mousinho - Looked comfortable first half and then either tired or just struggled for support in a young team at the end
Forde - Not a starter for me, and lacked a bit of confidence in himself
McGuane - Exciting to see him play like that. Big season for him. Good start. Has the potential to be a massive player for us.
Henry - Ok. Some nice touches. Probably needs more games to get back upto speed. Still plenty to give.
Smyth - Not bad. Some good passes and touches. Needs games to grow into the level he's playing at. Can play a long pass.
Bodin - Has something special about him, but will have more effective performances than that
Jones - Impressed again. Clearly has immense quality and can unlock teams. Ideal player for a season in which we can use 5 subs. Worth a risk for that level of ability.
Sinclair - showed some clever play as a hold up player, but looked like he should be more of a threat than he is. Hard to judge when we have such a random set of players behind him. Jury is still out.

Some interesting performance tonight and plenty of positives. Still hard to judge though with so many signings still to come in. Anyway, below are my thoughts on the starting 11.

Stevens - nothing much new. Didn't do anything for me to improve on existing concerns
Mousinho - Looked comfortable first half and then either tired or just struggled for support in a young team at the end
McGuane - Exciting to see him play like that. Big season for him. Good start. Has the potential to be a massive player for us.
Henry - Ok. Some nice touches. Probably needs more games to get back upto speed. Still plenty to give.
Smyth - Not bad. Some good passes and touches. Needs games to grow into the level he's playing at. Can play a long pass.
Bodin - Has something special about him, but will have more effective performances than that
Jones - Impressed again. Clearly has immense quality and can unlock teams. Ideal player for a season in which we can use 5 subs. Worth a risk for that level of ability.
Sinclair - showed some clever play as a hold up player, but looked like he should be more of a threat than he is. Hard to judge when we have such a random set of players behind him. Jury is still out.
Exactly my thoughts, good to read someone with the same idea As me.
as me.

Agree with most of that. Thought Henry was poor/off the pace. Smyth looks very promising to me - a bit raw as you imply but definitely has the ability and he's taller than I expected (at least a good few inches on Jake Wright).

Golding has certainly got what it takes............... did they say he`s 17?? :oops:

Must have fed him well as a nipper.
He had a good start like Saturday, the following shows why he needs weekly football within a squad, before he's ready for division 1 football. More so, because he's at the perfect age to kick on next season. Out of all of the youngsters I really think he is one to watch and kick on.

The visitors did find the net less than a minute later when Karlan Grant was played through on goal, outmuscling James Golding to prod the ball home past Stevens.
United upped their game with Mousinho nodding the ball low into the corner of Button’s goal, only for the goalkeeper to get down low and push the effort away.

Three minutes later, it was West Brom’s turn again to carve a chance, this time Grant pouncing on a Golding error, but the striker looped an effort high and wide.

Stevens - No wonder McGinty has been signed…

Forde - he’s not a right back, never has been, never will be

Mousinho - Good for 45, couldn’t run second half

Brown - Outstanding both half’s, superb 👏🏼

Seddon - Still constantly caught out of position, looks like he would make a brilliant wing back

McGuane - MOTM - Oozes class, hopefully he’s in a our starting midfield 3 👏🏼

Smyth - Few good bits, never really got in to the game though.

Henry - His usual reliable self.

Bodin - Classy touches all game, will be unplayable in the 10 in a 4231 👏🏼

Jones - Bundle’s of quality, still has that yard of pace. Get him a one year deal 👏🏼

Sinclair - Constantly offside, poor hold up play. Unsure why he’s at us.

Subs - Brannagan never really in to it, Browne always a threat, Golding gonna be some player in 2/3 years with the right loan moves. Taylor never really involved.

It’s been said before but Smyth is solid and very hard to knock off the ball, vocal and will adapt to this standard Im sure. Unlike others I’ll give Sinclair a chance, he’s got the experience to know how to hold the ball and draw fouls in some dangerous places, we just couldn’t make anything of it. Can he finish, we don’t know as we rarely threatened their goal. Taylor…bloody hell, poor first touch on the whole which lead to countless fouls, get him some game time!
As for Sade and Davis, boys in a mens game.

But on a day for Joey , weldone to everyone who went tonight .
Joey's family got double bubble from me, I bought a ticket but was so hot and bothered, stayed home and watched on iFollow. Hopefully we can keep helping Joey's little girls.

McGuane and Smith a big plus. Pleased with Brown. Stevens is a disaster waiting to happen. We need full backs and a back up to Taylor. Findlay a great signing; optimistic for more now.

If Jerome Sinclair hadn't come here with his history and was instead a league 2 player who had fallen out of favour at their club and was on trial looking to re-establish themselves in the game, I think people would have viewed his performances in pre-season very differently.

He has looked strong and able to hold the ball up well, and looked reasonably sharp, often without a huge amount of service. I'm not saying that he's anywhere near being ready to start upfront against Derby but I think that he'd be close to getting a contract as cover for an injured Sam Baldock, with the expectation that another striker also comes in.

The bar has been set pretty high for "Most Ridiculous Post of the Summer" but a couple yesterday that Robinson should be sacked if we sign Sinclair are right up there. But the same posters were also dismissing Jodi Jones before he'd kicked a ball and he's looking a real find so maybe that says it all!

Thank you for the balanced description.
As you say a huge season for McGuane. Can he influence games for 90 minutes and not drift out if games ( especially if we are having a bad patch in a game?). He could be a big bonus this season.
Bodin and Jones are quality and with Browne, ANO, Henry, we should have enough to break down most sides in L1

Back
Top Bottom