Matches Pre-season friendlies

Won 4-0 against Woking at the training ground tonight. Sykes, Osei Yaw, Taylor and Ruffels.

Kelly came off after half an hour, presumably because he’s still playing catch up in terms of match fitness rather than any sort of injury.

So glad to see the new signing score. That will give the lad a lot of confidence.

Solid result in windy conditions.

I think his days are numbered if I’m honest. Too much quality in the middle. Even Forde is ahead of him for the RB position if need be.
I agree. Just wondered why he was the only player in the squad that didn't get on the pitch.

I think Hanson will be sold/loaned out as we now have Clare, Long and Forde infront of him for eight back. Kelly and Gorrin infront of him for CDM and Mous can play there if needed so he really is down the pecking order.

I think Hanson will be sold/loaned out as we now have Clare, Long and Forde infront of him for eight back. Kelly and Gorrin infront of him for CDM and Mous can play there if needed so he really is down the pecking order.

I agree with what you’re saying but I actually think his best position for us in the formation we play is central midfield, but he’d still be fourth choice at best there really anyway

No Hanson?
A slight tweak I believe. If Hanson is to go out on loan (and I think he will), it pays to get him as fit as possible. Unless a deal is imminent, I'd expect him to feature in games next week.

I agree with what you’re saying but I actually think his best position for us in the formation we play is central midfield, but he’d still be fourth choice at best there really anyway

I’m not even sure he’d make the bench?

Stevens, Long, Atkinson, Kelly, Henry/Sykes, Agyie, Mous/Hall

No Hanson?
He’ll be off, probably on loan is my guess as he’s on big wages here and still has two years left on the deal. Forde can play centre midfield, as well as right wing, as well as provide emergency right back cover. He does everything Hanson can do, plus a bit more, and is probably a little bit better to boot. I think looking at what we have on paper and seeing who plays where positionally, he and Napa are the most likely to be at least loaned out. Really think Napa needs some proper football, probably in the Conference where it’s competitive but where we can also call him back any time if necessary.

Hanson was in Wales last week so if he didn’t even get a run out tonight, that may suggest he’s in the process of sorting a move. I noticed that Napa only got 15 minutes off the bench while Asonganyi got a full hour, so that might also give a hint as to how far down the pecking order he could be.

I noticed that Napa only got 15 minutes off the bench while Asonganyi got a full hour, so that might also give a hint as to how far down the pecking order he could be.

Napa and Asonganyi both had 15 mins. Asonganyi replaced Kelly after 30 mins, and Napa replaced Moore after 75 mins. No one played more than 1 half. Neither Kelly or Moore were involved in Wales, so both given a gentle 30 mins each.

Hanson has a slight tweak and did a gym session instead but is expected to feature next week. He's still likely to go out on loan, but nothing in place yet.

Really think Napa needs some proper football, probably in the Conference where it’s competitive but where we can also call him back any time if necessary.

We still don’t have a number 11 in the squad, which suggests another attacking / wide player is still likely arriving in the weeks ahead. Kelly is 28 and Osei Yaw is 29. Don’t fancy Napa’s chances of much if any real involvement if that’s the case.

Nico posted a clip from U23 game, he wins the ball as CB, dribbles past a few players to centre of the pitch and plays a nice through ball to Spasov.

From that clip alone you can see he is good. Be interesting to see what Robinson does with the youngsters this season possibly conference premier loans. Wouldn't be surprised to see Nico breakthrough this year. Still only 18, so important to remember Robinson gave him and others their debut at 16!

1 in 1 for Del Boy! :) I'm assuming that the club are not announcing these friendlies at the training ground so that we don't just turn up. If I'd have know I'd quite happily sit in the hedges on the Horspath Road and have a watch.

Nico posted a clip from U23 game, he wins the ball as CB, dribbles past a few players to centre of the pitch and plays a nice through ball to Spasov.

From that clip alone you can see he is good. Be interesting to see what Robinson does with the youngsters this season possibly conference premier loans. Wouldn't be surprised to see Nico breakthrough this year. Still only 18, so important to remember Robinson gave him and others their debut at 16!

I have to say, having watched those clips, the quality of the opposition has to be questioned. The ball fell very kindly for him to make his way out of defence, otherwise he would almost certainly have been exposed and way out of position.

It's my same worry with Atkinson. Dickie can take the ball out of defence and pick a great pass too, but he also has an excellent sense of his position on the pitch, and the dangers associated with it. All I've seen from youth clips of Atkinson and Nico are rampaging runs forward, actively dribbling forward and trying to be an attacking threat. That won't do anything in the men's game if you're not coached well enough to be fully aware of the defensive risks you're leaving behind you.

I have to say, having watched those clips, the quality of the opposition has to be questioned. The ball fell very kindly for him to make his way out of defence, otherwise he would almost certainly have been exposed and way out of position.

It's my same worry with Atkinson. Dickie can take the ball out of defence and pick a great pass too, but he also has an excellent sense of his position on the pitch, and the dangers associated with it. All I've seen from youth clips of Atkinson and Nico are rampaging runs forward, actively dribbling forward and trying to be an attacking threat. That won't do anything in the men's game if you're not coached well enough to be fully aware of the defensive risks you're leaving behind you.
I think taking out of defence works if you have a sytem which allows the defensive mid to drop back as Gorrin did last season. Otherwise I would agree it leaves you exposed.

Hopefully Short will have an influence on the young Centre Halves.

Back
Top Bottom