Manager/Coach [Poll] When Should Robinson Go?

At what point should Robinson go?

• Now, he's had plenty of chances to build a successful squad and hasn't

Votes: 47 22.1%
  • January if we're not in the top 10

Votes: 65 30.5%
  • End of the season if he doesn't make the playoffs

Votes: 53 24.9%
  • Not in the foreseeable future

Votes: 48 22.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have been watching Oxford United since 1983,
Have we had a good manager in the last 40 years.....?
We have certainly had successful managers with league winners medals, cup medals and promotion medals, we have had managers that have had the team relegated, however hand on heart can we actually say we have had an outstanding manager in our whole history.
Yes, of course we can, however the game has moved on and success is only handed out to a handful of clubs each year.
To be a good manager you need to have a budget, a plan, a vision, be thorough, be consistent and have a good backroom team around you, however it is the players who win you games and players who lose you games and set a managers destiny, to be an excellent manager takes all of the above and one hell of an amount of LUCK. (class of 92 and kids come to mind)
I believe Karl Robinson has our club at heart, he knows the club inside out, he desperately wants Oxford United to be successful, he realises the city of Oxford has so much potential which could be enhanced with a successful football club and he also looks to grass root football in the area which could benefit the club in years to come.
The Oxford United football club sustainability is the most important thing and if Karl Robinson is still at our club for the next 2, 5 or even 10 years do believe we will have the success we are looking for.
Bed time now as I have the 300 mile round trip tomorrow for the Lincoln City home game.

The football has been poor, dire most of the time.
We were not challenging last season.

After 5 years, he doesn't correct things for the following year that are obvious e.g. the physicality problems, the number of crocs he buys.
In the last 4 seasons we have played 173 league games, got 270 points from those games, scored 278 goals.
Out of those 173 games we have lost 33% of them and have won 43% of them.

Last season we were in the top 6 after 15 games and were in the top 6 until 6 games to go so I would actually say we were challenging last season up until the wheels came off and we had our bad patch at the end of the season rather than at the start.

By all means have your views on the manager, recruitment, board but the facts when it comes to goals scored etc actually suggest we do play entertaining football!

I have been watching Oxford United since 1983,
Have we had a good manager in the last 40 years.....?
We have certainly had successful managers with league winners medals, cup medals and promotion medals, we have had managers that have had the team relegated, however hand on heart can we actually say we have had an outstanding manager in our whole history.
Yes, of course we can, however the game has moved on and success is only handed out to a handful of clubs each year.
To be a good manager you need to have a budget, a plan, a vision, be thorough, be consistent and have a good backroom team around you, however it is the players who win you games and players who lose you games and set a managers destiny, to be an excellent manager takes all of the above and one hell of an amount of LUCK. (class of 92 and kids come to mind)
I believe Karl Robinson has our club at heart, he knows the club inside out, he desperately wants Oxford United to be successful, he realises the city of Oxford has so much potential which could be enhanced with a successful football club and he also looks to grass root football in the area which could benefit the club in years to come.
The Oxford United football club sustainability is the most important thing and if Karl Robinson is still at our club for the next 2, 5 or even 10 years do believe we will have the success we are looking for.
Bed time now as I have the 300 mile round trip tomorrow for the Lincoln City home game.
"To be a good manager you need to have a budget, a plan, a vision, be thorough, be consistent"
From the way he has recruited individual players, that fit together like an awkward jigsaw, in sporadic bursts, it appears he has neither of these. Whilst ignoring what most other people see is needed to complete this squad.
The inconsistency is shown up by many of these players arrived carrying injuries or have a history of injuries.

"However it is the players who win you games and players who lose you games and set a managers destiny."
We have many players who can win games, but they need to be playing in a system that suits them, and they fully understand what is required of them. Through the start of the season too many players appear as if they are playing as individuals rather than part of a team.

"I believe Karl Robinson has our club at heart, he knows the club inside out, he desperately wants Oxford United to be success."
However much of a nice guy he seems, as did Patterson and others, it is solely down to games won, and what you can achieve. Currently robinson has a healthy budget, but seems to change his mind as to what he needs to do to put together a top squad. We are 4/5 games into the season, and we still don't have a fully assembled squad, which is poor management from the point of view of being adequately prepared.

In the last 4 seasons we have played 173 league games, got 270 points from those games, scored 278 goals.
Out of those 173 games we have lost 33% of them and have won 43% of them.
Sorry, I don't understand the relevance of those stats, relating to our poor start to this season. What we have done in previous years has no bearing on this season
Last season we were in the top 6 after 15 games and were in the top 6 until 6 games to go so I would actually say we were challenging last season up until the wheels came off and we had our bad patch at the end of the season rather than at the start.
Unfortunately the season ends when it does and not 6 weeks before the end. That needs consistency.
By all means have your views on the manager, recruitment, board but the facts when it comes to goals scored etc actually suggest we do play entertaining football! I'm talking this season so far, last season is gone, finished. How many goals have we scored so far this season. Hence we need more quality up front. Will it happen with robinson? I really hope so.

It seems to me that the only way to please all parties I.e.the need for a DOF to deal with all off-field duties and replace the head coach would be to make KR the DOF and replace him with a new head coach. With his obvious love for, and commitment to the club, I would hate to lose him completely.

Last edited:
"To be a good manager you need to have a budget, a plan, a vision, be thorough, be consistent"
From the way he has recruited individual players, that fit together like an awkward jigsaw, in sporadic bursts, it appears he has neither of these. Whilst ignoring what most other people see is needed to complete this squad.
The inconsistency is shown up by many of these players arrived carrying injuries or have a history of injuries.

"However it is the players who win you games and players who lose you games and set a managers destiny."
We have many players who can win games, but they need to be playing in a system that suits them, and they fully understand what is required of them. Through the start of the season too many players appear as if they are playing as individuals rather than part of a team.

"I believe Karl Robinson has our club at heart, he knows the club inside out, he desperately wants Oxford United to be success."
However much of a nice guy he seems, as did Patterson and others, it is solely down to games won, and what you can achieve. Currently robinson has a healthy budget, but seems to change his mind as to what he needs to do to put together a top squad. We are 4/5 games into the season, and we still don't have a fully assembled squad, which is poor management from the point of view of being adequately prepared.
Two seasons ago a mistake between Elliott Moore and Simon Eastwood cost us promotion to the championship, the team were there or thereabouts, then due to not achieving success you lose players to higher league clubs, re inventing the wheel is harder than you think and you are not going to get things right every time, I can’t believe you put Patterson in the same league of managers of KR, you must be deluded, I didn’t say KR was a nice guy and if you listen to the BBC podcast (especially v Sunderland) you will realise KR is far from a nice guy, in fact he is a fcuking A*****e and animal in the changing room....
As I said, the club is more important than any individual (and i now put you in that category)
Each to there own I suppose.

Please no, I can’t take another decade of failed play-off campaigns 😩

Would 1 promotion in 15 years with the club really class as success for Karl and Oxford United? Success is promotion this season, anything else is failure.

It always makes me laugh when you question who people would get and they say it’s the boards job. Well it’s also the boards job to decide if they want Robinson to stay as manager or not.

Right now Robinson is the man for the job IMO. He gets the team playing exciting football, isn’t afraid to bring in youth players if they are ready and he gets the whole culture of the club. He also has us consistently challenging for the top 6. Question marks over if he can get us over the line are there but I do think he will get us over the line and off the field we have the rumblings on of a new stadium.

Right now there is a much bigger picture surrounding the club and that’s why I’m not concerned after just 3 league games.
Playing fancy attractive football, don't necessarily get you promoted.
Being solid together as a unit,& professional does.

Wow. This single post highlights in a nutshell how polarised the fan base has become over KR. Some arguing that he should go now and some wanting him to stay for the next decade. I know these views are at each end of the spectrum but I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a chasm in the differing opinion over a manager before.

One way or another, things need to happen quickly to bring the supporters back in line with each other again - hopefully success on the pitch! This situation isn’t healthy.

Playing fancy attractive football, don't necessarily get you promoted.
Being solid together as a unit,& professional does.

Nothing exciting about our play in the last 4 games. Actually I would say Ian Atkins team was more exciting 😜

Two seasons ago a mistake between Elliott Moore and Simon Eastwood cost us promotion to the championship, the team were there or thereabouts, then due to not achieving success you lose players to higher league clubs, re inventing the wheel is harder than you think and you are not going to get things right every time, I can’t believe you put Patterson in the same league of managers of KR, you must be deluded, I didn’t say KR was a nice guy and if you listen to the BBC podcast (especially v Sunderland) you will realise KR is far from a nice guy, in fact he is a fcuking A*****e and animal in the changing room....
As I said, the club is more important than any individual (and i now put you in that category)
Each to there own I suppose.
However much of a nice guy he seems, as did Patterson

Sorry, I didn't put him in the same league of managers, Patterson was a disaster, I was simply saying pattwerson also seemed a nice guy as you clan kr is.

Last edited:
Wow. This single post highlights in a nutshell how polarised the fan base has become over KR
Just look at the poll results so far, there's a significant number who want him to stick around well into the future regardless of his performance. My argument has always been that this is exactly why he gets himself involved in so much of the non-football related matters, he knows it gives him some credit in the bank with a portion of the support, call me a cynic!

Last edited:
Just look at the poll results so far, there's a significant number who want him to stick around well into the future regardless of his performance. My argument has always been that this is exactly why he gets himself involved in so much of the non-football related matters, he knows it gives him so credit in the bank with a portion of the support, call me a cynic!
I must admit I am surprised that there are people willing for him to be here for several years as things stand at present. I wonder if that would change if we were just bobbing around mid table in 4 or 5 years time or even, heaven forbid, back in league 2?! Surely things will feel stale by then even for his biggest fans.

For me it’s simple, he really needs to take us to the next level soon now. Saying he should stay indefinitely on the grounds of what we’re witnessing at the moment just doesn’t make sense to me. If he succeeds then long may he continue but if he fails then he goes. That’s football, nobody has a divine right of a job for life at a club just because theyre a nice bloke.

Hopefully a good win tonight - and I really think we will win - will be the kickstart this season needs.

I must admit I am surprised that there are people willing for him to be here for several years as things stand at present. I wonder if that would change if we were just bobbing around mid table in 4 or 5 years time or even, heaven forbid, back in league 2?! Surely things will feel stale by then even for his biggest fans.

For me it’s simple, he really needs to take us to the next level soon now. Saying he should stay indefinitely on the grounds of what we’re witnessing at the moment just doesn’t make sense to me. If he succeeds then long may he continue but if he fails then he goes. That’s football, nobody has a divine right of a job for life at a club just because theyre a nice bloke.

Hopefully a good win tonight - and I really think we will win - will be the kickstart this season needs.
76% of the respondents have at the time of writing opted for one of the options where he should be gone by the end of the season or before if realistic targets are not met. There is a growing swell of opinion that he has to up his game quickly and not just on this forum 😉

It's been said a few times in this thread (and in others), that we started last season well.
We didn't start last season well.
Unless you literally mean the first 3 games and nothing more. Assuming instead you mean 6, 8, 10 games - we simply didn't.
I am prepared to die on this hill, so much so that I've charted it.

Below shows the total accumulated points in each 6 game segment throughout the season, 21/22.
So, the first figure (10 points) is for games 1-6 inclusive.
This runs through to the final figure (7 points) for games 41-46 inclusive.

We averaged 9.9 points over any 6 game period throughout the season.
Our best periods last season were matches 10-15 inclusive and 33-38 inclusive (both 15 point hauls from a possible 18).
The lowest was matchday 4-9 inclusive (just 5 points) - worse than any 6 game period - including the much maligned end to the season.
This doesn't even factor in the quality of the opposition - which as I have detailed elsewhere was well below average in the first 10 games.

We can change the 6 game blocks to 8 or 10 - it won't change the reality - we started last season poorly. As we always do under KR (previous seasons follow a remarkably similar pattern - certainly until the final 10 games or so).

This isn't about being positive or negative - it's about reality.

x axis is each 6 game block - starting with the 6 games up to and including matchday 6.
y axis is the number of points won in those 6 games.

1660644609869.png

Just look at the poll results so far, there's a significant number who want him to stick around well into the future regardless of his performance. My argument has always been that this is exactly why he gets himself involved in so much of the non-football related matters, he knows it gives him some credit in the bank with a portion of the support, call me a cynic!

It’s really no more complex than this.

It's been said a few times in this thread (and in others), that we started last season well.
We didn't start last season well.
Unless you literally mean the first 3 games and nothing more. Assuming instead you mean 6, 8, 10 games - we simply didn't.
I am prepared to die on this hill, so much so that I've charted it.

Below shows the total accumulated points in each 6 game segment throughout the season, 21/22.
So, the first figure (10 points) is for games 1-6 inclusive.
This runs through to the final figure (7 points) for games 41-46 inclusive.

We averaged 9.9 points over any 6 game period throughout the season.
Our best periods last season were matches 10-15 inclusive and 33-38 inclusive (both 15 point hauls from a possible 18).
The lowest was matchday 4-9 inclusive (just 5 points) - worse than any 6 game period - including the much maligned end to the season.
This doesn't even factor in the quality of the opposition - which as I have detailed elsewhere was well below average in the first 10 games.

We can change the 6 game blocks to 8 or 10 - it won't change the reality - we started last season poorly. As we always do under KR (previous seasons follow a remarkably similar pattern - certainly until the final 10 games or so).

This isn't about being positive or negative - it's about reality.

x axis is each 6 game block - starting with the 6 games up to and including matchday 6.
y axis is the number of points won in those 6 games.

View attachment 9817

Don't worry, some of us remember the performances at Cheltenham and Wimbledon...

I’d say this thread aptly demonstrates how football supporters become more demanding and more impatient every season.

Its the 16th August. Give the guy a break.

I’d say this thread aptly demonstrates how football supporters become more demanding and more impatient every season.

Its the 16th August. Give the guy a break.

That may well be the case but Karl has been at the club for 1,608 days.

I’d been inclined to agree with your point had he come in last summer or this summer. That isn’t the case unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom