Manager/Coach [Poll] When Should Robinson Go?

At what point should Robinson go?

• Now, he's had plenty of chances to build a successful squad and hasn't

Votes: 47 22.1%
  • January if we're not in the top 10

Votes: 65 30.5%
  • End of the season if he doesn't make the playoffs

Votes: 53 24.9%
  • Not in the foreseeable future

Votes: 48 22.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
76% of the voters want him gone, or 99 members.

In total 134 members have voted, 134 out of momenteel 1890 members.

So 99 out of 1890 potential voters. That is less than 6%. A long way off 76%.

94% have not voted for his departure. It's just statistics viewed differently.

That may well be the case but Karl has been at the club for 1,608 days.

I’d been inclined to agree with your point had he come in last summer or this summer. That isn’t the case unfortunately.
So just ignore his record then?

It's just chat, which is fine, though it gets repetitive. For some reason the board had a bit of a meltdown last week when it was revealed Murphy had got injured. That coupled with the poor display at Rovers has led to a lot of grumbling, some justified and some to me over the top. Things could either look a lot better tomorrow week, or our poor start could have been confirmed, but judging anything while the window is still open seems pointless.

That may well be the case but Karl has been at the club for 1,608 days.

I’d been inclined to agree with your point had he come in last summer or this summer. That isn’t the case unfortunately.
This is what, apparently, some find easy to ignore. This is year 5 of KR. How long does he need? How long are we prepared to wait?

This is what, apparently, some find easy to ignore. This is year 5 of KR. How long does he need? How long are we prepared to wait?
Give him until the end of the window... or until Christmas... or until the end of the January window... or until the end of the season... and so on and so on. To some it doesn't matter that he's already had four years and still making the same mistakes.

I’d say this thread aptly demonstrates how football supporters become more demanding and more impatient every season.

Its the 16th August. Give the guy a break.

The season began on 30th July and he hasn't built a team that's ready. He's trying to get in key players when the transfer window should be used to replace early season injuries, loan out a youngster or two and to net a player you previously thought unavailable. Stop giving him excuses. He's had long enough to get a side ready for this season and hasn't. As @SirAndyOfCrosby covers in this thread, we started badly last season (and the two seasons before that) and we're doing it again. The points now are worth exactly the same as the points in April and we fritter them away as though we're still playing PSFs.

It's been said a few times in this thread (and in others), that we started last season well.
We didn't start last season well.
Unless you literally mean the first 3 games and nothing more. Assuming instead you mean 6, 8, 10 games - we simply didn't.
I am prepared to die on this hill, so much so that I've charted it.

Below shows the total accumulated points in each 6 game segment throughout the season, 21/22.
So, the first figure (10 points) is for games 1-6 inclusive.
This runs through to the final figure (7 points) for games 41-46 inclusive.

We averaged 9.9 points over any 6 game period throughout the season.
Our best periods last season were matches 10-15 inclusive and 33-38 inclusive (both 15 point hauls from a possible 18).
The lowest was matchday 4-9 inclusive (just 5 points) - worse than any 6 game period - including the much maligned end to the season.
This doesn't even factor in the quality of the opposition - which as I have detailed elsewhere was well below average in the first 10 games.

We can change the 6 game blocks to 8 or 10 - it won't change the reality - we started last season poorly. As we always do under KR (previous seasons follow a remarkably similar pattern - certainly until the final 10 games or so).

This isn't about being positive or negative - it's about reality.

x axis is each 6 game block - starting with the 6 games up to and including matchday 6.
y axis is the number of points won in those 6 games.

View attachment 9817

Interestingly put. I've mentioned it on here a few times but sides that get promoted automatically often only lose between five games a season (for a team that dominates the division) and 10 games (in the years where the division is a lot tighter).

We often 'use up' our quota of loses in the first 10. In 2020-21, we'd blown any chance to the autos with seven defeats in 10 so the playoffs was all we could hope for. We're likely to do it again if we don't improve.

I wouldn't mind if the messaging from the club and KR wasn't so binary about having big budgets and 'going for it'. We are up against some big hitters nowadays (compare League 1 now with the old Division 2 we got promoted from in 1995-96 and the teams are vastly different) so staying competitive is commendable. I just think we're on a hiding to nothing by saying we're going to be in the mix for the autos when I think battling for 6th might be the limit of what we're capable of this term.

Last edited:
It's just chat, which is fine, though it gets repetitive. For some reason the board had a bit of a meltdown last week when it was revealed Murphy had got injured. That coupled with the poor display at Rovers has led to a lot of grumbling, some justified and some to me over the top. Things could either look a lot better tomorrow week, or our poor start could have been confirmed, but judging anything while the window is still open seems pointless.
Is this confirmation that the board aren’t happy with KR’s management/recruitment this summer?

Edit: Just realised you meant board as in this forum.. 🤣

I obviously don't know what reactions were like at the time but do you think Plymouth fans were absolutely buzzing to appoint their assistant manager into his first full management role last season? Same as Ipswich having a Premier League teams youth coach and MK Dons nabbing a bloke from the second tier in Belgium. What might look an uninspiring choice could work out if due process is followed when recruiting. It's going wrong for MK this season (although in the last couple of windows they've lost Twine, Darling and O'Riley who would all walk into any team in this league and plenty in the league above) but otherwise they all outperformed Robbo last season without the benefit of having several years to get their feet under the table and things structured to suit them, Mckenna and Schumacher didn't even have the first window and Manning got the job a couple of days before the season started.

I'll not try and claim to be ITK at all but I suspect Plymouth and MK Dons had similar budgets to us and Ipswich would have been bigger but my point is that fans not being able to name off the top of their head a manager to come in shouldn't be a huge barrier to moving the current incumbent on. With a new stadium in the offing, a decent if lopsided and injury prone squad, a very healthy budget and ambitious owners and a reputation for giving managers time I'd imagine we're a very attractive option and would have a lot of interest, be it from experienced managers or younger guys looking to cut their teeth/step up from managing Premier League under 23's.

This is the key part for me - if you need a manager, you advertise the job, interview qualified candidates and pick based on a combination of the applicants' track records and the vision they sell you for the club at the interview.

I had never heard of Chris Wilder when we appointed him. But because we had undertaken a proper recruiting process, we correctly identified a manager with the right knowledge and vision to get us back in the league. And he turned out to be the perfect manager for the club at that time.

No reason why we couldn't do the same in 2022/23. Not knowing who should replace KR off the top of our heads is no reason to keep him.

His track record over the past three seasons is the best reason to give him more time, but if he fails to rescue this window in the next two weeks and things don't get better on the pitch.......

76% of the voters want him gone, or 99 members.

In total 134 members have voted, 134 out of momenteel 1890 members.

So 99 out of 1890 potential voters. That is less than 6%. A long way off 76%.

94% have not voted for his departure. It's just statistics viewed differently.

Yeah well, about 100% of people who haven't voted and posted an alternative have declined to vote because our chosen option (June 2022) was not available. That's provided Kip didn't vote.

So just ignore his record then?
His record is ok but no better. The clear issue is him not learning from his mistakes year after year after year. Good managers adapt and he's shown no signs of being able to do so, I don't think he's a bad manager, just average and we should be looking for better. If a player becomes available who improves the team even though wat you've already got is ok then you'd do it, I don't see why it should be different for managers.

Over his career he's only managed one promotion despite managing decent teams at this level. I don't think he's done a bad enough job that everyone should want him out like Clotet for example but he's not done brilliantly either. To compare to Appleton for example, he tried playing nice stuff regardless for 6 months or so (plan B is plan A) before realising it didn't work and sometimes you needed to play it down the channels and be a bit more solid. We're into the fifth season of KR and we are a few games in, having a poor start, light in defence (especially full back, where we played a few wingers last season), have a squad full of injury risks, struggle against physical well organised sides and only one way of playing that often leaves Taylor isolated. What have you seen to suggest that he is capable of learning from these mistakes? This is the over riding concern for me, if he stays then there will be times when it all comes together and we blow teams away, we'll probably be the in form team in the country for a month but we fall short because of mistakes made early on putting the squad together, injuries to key players and a lack of tactical nous.

You know how we often talk of other clubs forums going into meltdown and how it makes them look a bit tinpot? Well we've just joined them!
I follow a couple of other clubs on social media, one Conference and one in Scotland, and it looks like their fans' comments are pretty similar to ours. We do however have a much larger and more articulate message board than many teams, which is a good thing even if it can be trying!

I follow a couple of other clubs on social media, one Conference and one in Scotland, and it looks like their fans' comments are pretty similar to ours. We do however have a much larger and more articulate message board than many teams, which is a good thing even if it can be trying!
Well we are from Oxford don't you know.

His record is ok but no better. The clear issue is him not learning from his mistakes year after year after year. Good managers adapt and he's shown no signs of being able to do so, I don't think he's a bad manager, just average and we should be looking for better. If a player becomes available who improves the team even though wat you've already got is ok then you'd do it, I don't see why it should be different for managers.

Over his career he's only managed one promotion despite managing decent teams at this level. I don't think he's done a bad enough job that everyone should want him out like Clotet for example but he's not done brilliantly either. To compare to Appleton for example, he tried playing nice stuff regardless for 6 months or so (plan B is plan A) before realising it didn't work and sometimes you needed to play it down the channels and be a bit more solid. We're into the fifth season of KR and we are a few games in, having a poor start, light in defence (especially full back, where we played a few wingers last season), have a squad full of injury risks, struggle against physical well organised sides and only one way of playing that often leaves Taylor isolated. What have you seen to suggest that he is capable of learning from these mistakes? This is the over riding concern for me, if he stays then there will be times when it all comes together and we blow teams away, we'll probably be the in form team in the country for a month but we fall short because of mistakes made early on putting the squad together, injuries to key players and a lack of tactical nous.
You mention Robinson’s 1 promotion and then talk about Appleton who many would have replace Robinson.
Appleton has 1 promotion in his manager career…the one with us. He had a win percentage of 45%. Robinson’s win percentage with us is 41.9% and that is with us in league 1 where as Appleton had us in league 2.

Robinson is by no means perfect and he has his faults but he is a good league 1 manager and is very highly regarded within the game for his coaching ability.

This year has always seemed to be a key one for Robinson but I feel the goal posts have been slightly moved in his favour due to the on going SB development.

Make no mistake though, if the directors aren’t happy they won’t be afraid to get rid of Robinson if they feel the club isn’t going in the right direction. Right now though it is.

Murphy was signed with an injury. We were going to nurse him along then KR decides to start him.
You know the rest!!

Back
Top Bottom