Manager/Coach Should've Kept Mousinho?

East Stand Fan

Robinson's demise has been slow, painful and inevitable this season and Mousinho for me was always a reasonable shout as a successor. He has the credentials and had the knowledge of this club - just didn't have the experience. His appointment at Pompey was a surprise out of nowhere, and his departure has really left us with no fall-back option right now. Had he stayed, we probably would've seen out the season with Mous at the helm and the club would've been in a far better situation to recruit a replacement going forward. There would've also been more flexibility in who we could appoint, whether it be a DOF or outright manager. With Pompey coming in, obviously he's landed a bigger position that what we could've ever offered him even now and I have no doubt the compo received went a long way to paying Robinson off, but had we made some stronger decisions just a couple of months back, our trajectory, stability and circumstance would've been a lot different. Losing Mous I feel has been a big blow behind the scenes and he is someone that knows the club well and has worked hard to build a career beyond playing.

Our remaining coaching team has to be the weakest imaginable at this level.

Mous was very close to Karl though wasn't he?
Are we sure the players would have been motivated by Mous?

Aren't we exaggerating everything at the moment? All the backroom staff are crap, but Mous was good ......

It wasn't necessarily out of the blue, certainly within the club, as he had applied for jobs before he got the Pompey gig. Work to replace him should have begun a while back but I suspect KR wasn't particularly concerned about someone else coming in taking some responsibility.

If he hadn't have left then Robinson would have left before now, it's a crying shame that we didn't have this run of really, really bad form a few months ago rather than merely being rubbish as opposed to outright s**t. If the argument is as @Fred makes that he was too close to Karl and wouldn't motivate the players then I'd take a look at results since he left and Portsmouth's since he joined there. Eight games have passed, one of those teams have picked up 14 points and the other only one.

Not saying for sure he was the answer as no one can say with any certainty but I'd much rather we'd acted sooner and think if we had had appointment Mous as manager rather than Pompey we wouldn't be considering relegation. It looks like another good person who's left the club with no replacement lined up.

Mous was very close to Karl though wasn't he?

Only in Karl’s mind, a bit like Taylor in that respect.
Are we sure the players would have been motivated by Mous?

You might not be, but there’s absolutely no doubt in my mind the players would’ve been 100% behind and motivated to succeed under Mousiniho. He’s a class act and highly respected, unlike Robinson.

Robinson should have gone months ago. Short et al cannot - must not - be anything other than a "hold the fort and keep training ticking over for a couple of days appointment". If Robinson had been sacked in Sept - Nov we'd have had time to properly recruit and appoint a new manager. If it had been Mousinho many of the people now calling for him to have been kept would have been screaming yellow & blue murder about the board lacking ambition and "cheap" option.

We need someone fresh in so for me no. Mous could have worked but ultimately he was still part of the unsuccessful coaching team this season.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to believe that Mous would only have been a success at a different club with a clean slate. I know he was well respected at the club, but going from teammate in the club giving it large in a Spanish disco in pre-season* to their boss deciding whether they play on Saturday is a big ask for a young manager.

But yes, as an interim solution it would have certainly been better than the three amigos.

*Disclaimer, may not have happened.

Nobody saw Mous to Pompey coming and to say he was going to be our next manager was wrong.
Had he not got the job and was still here I feel the Board would have acted sooner to get rid of KR and let him carry on until the summer then installed the new man.

It's a shame because I think it was obvious to most that Robinson was a dead man walking in September/October. I recall a few conversations where people were saying (both on here and in person) that Mous should have been given a go there and then. This would've allowed the board to recruit someone in time for the January window or, if Mous was doing a good job, let him carry on.

With hindsight that would have been a good call, as it's unlikely he could have done any worse than Robinson. It would have also given the fans a massive lift and shown the board to be much more proactive. The s**t show of the last 4+ months was totally avoidable and hopefully the board learn from this.

It's a shame because I think it was obvious to most that Robinson was a dead man walking in September/October. I recall a few conversations where people were saying (both on here and in person) that Mous should have been given a go there and then. This would've allowed the board to recruit someone in time for the January window or, if Mous was doing a good job, let him carry on.

With hindsight that would have been a good call, as it's unlikely he could have done any worse than Robinson. It would have also given the fans a massive lift and shown the board to be much more proactive. The s**t show of the last 4+ months was totally avoidable and hopefully the board learn from this.
I think there was plenty of foresight from plenty of people in this case, as you say. It was obvious to many that letting Mousinho be interim in October while a proper process took place to replace Robinson was the play. If Mousinho had performed well and ended up getting the job it would’ve been because he had earned it through results and performances over a number of weeks. If he didn’t, for whatever reason, fine. He probably would’ve left anyway in that case, but the football club would’ve been protected and he would’ve served his purpose in the meantime.

That we didn’t even replace him with another coach after he left was the most criminal part, to my mind. Unless Robbie Fowler coming in for an extra day per week while still not officially being on staff was classed as sufficient. Combined with not taking the opportunity to move Robinson on months ago due to Mous’ presence, what we’ve seen this season is a textbook example of managerial failure from the board and those empowered by them. The lack of safeguarding with regards to the football club in recent months has been beyond negligent, and I sincerely hope that the people responsible for missing so many open goals reflect long and hard. Especially if we don’t manage to pull ourselves out of the tailspin.

We might think that but if Mous had been offered a deal until the end of the season here as caretaker or a 2/3 year contract at Pompey as their new boss ,what would you choose

I'm not sure it would have necessarily panned out like that. If he had performed well enough for us then he would've got a longer contract here and I doubt he would have bothered considering the Portsmouth job.

Back
Top Bottom